News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Whats wrong when you have to strike the starter relay to start?

Started by WH23G3G, January 09, 2012, 09:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

On my 65 Valiant 170 I have to strike the two terminals with a screwdriver to get it to turn over. I was trying to get it started today after I repaired all the leaks on the engine over the course of a year. It sits outside too. It's got a new wiring harness from Year One for the engine/forward lights. All the electrical wear items were replaced on the firewall along with a reman starter. The battery was too weak from sitting to get it to crank up and run so I pulled it and have it charging tonight. I remember when I went to originally look at my 73 Charger when I was buying it the guy had to start it using the relay. What does that mean? Does that mean the relay is bad or the ignition switch? I put in a new cylinder but thought the switch should still be good. I also replaced the starter relay on the firewall. Hopefully I can get this one started and running again so I can fix it up real quick and mess around in it while I totally finish my Charger. This one was given to me for free.

maxwellwedge

Check the yellow wire on the relay. It should have juice when the key is in crank position.

Chryco Psycho

probably bad contacts inside the relay assuming you get power down the yellow wire

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

John_Kunkel

If it's an automatic car it could also be the NSS or the shift cable adjustment. Find the "G" terminal on the starter relay and run a jumper wire from it to a good ground...if the starter turns with the key the NSS circuit is the problem.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.