News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hurst Shifter Help

Started by Troy, January 08, 2012, 10:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

At the end of the summer I took my 70 Challenger 440 Six Pack 4-speed out for a drive. I backed it out of the garage with no problem but about 15 minutes later at the auto parts store parking lot it wouldn't go into reverse at all. It felt like the linkge was binding. I just had the transmission rebuilt last spring and followed the FSM to adjust the linkage correctly. Well, I finally got the chance to inspect the car a little closer. I couldn't see anything wrong with the transmission itself so I pulled the rods off to isolate the shifter and it still won't go into reverse. I've never had a shifter apart. Is this a common problem (and hopefully an easy fix)?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

elacruze

Stuff happens. Take it apart, whatever the problem is will be apparent. It's a pretty simple device-take pictures at each step.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Rolling_Thunder

perhaps on the the shims decided to eat itself?
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Troy

I had read that the shims could sometimes bind so that's where I was leaning. I really hate the thought of pulling all that apart again but at least it's January.

Troy

maxwellwedge

Troy - Have you tried going through all the other gears and then trying reverse?

Is the reverse lock-out installed and binding?

Troy

Yes, all other gears work fine. With the linkage disconnected the shifter works very smoothly - but I can't push it to the left for reverse. The reverse lockout linkage is missing completely so that's probably not it. I read that there is also some sort of reverse detent in the shifter so maybe that's stuck?

Troy

maxwellwedge

I guess try lining everything up again with the tool/dowel and see what you get. If a no-go  -  out she comes.

John_Kunkel

There is a Reverse lever interlock in the side cover to prevent getting into Reverse and a forward gear at the same time.

Sometimes just loosening the side cover and shifting its position will bring Reverse back.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Troy

The transmission rebuild only has about 400 miles on it so I'm doubting (hoping) it's nothing inside there. I removed the shift rods completely and the shifter itself won't go into reverse. I'll see if anything is mangled when I get it out.

Troy

Cooter

Need to have two people, one under car, and one shifting in car to actually see what's happening. I recommend a lift if at all possible.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

elacruze

Quote from: Cooter on January 12, 2012, 08:00:52 AM
Need to have two people, one under car, and one shifting in car to actually see what's happening. I recommend a lift if at all possible.

:iagree:

Seems these shifters have personalities. On my own, I have to keep the reverse rod adjusted a little too long to line up the dowel, otherwise it can stay in reverse while the shifter moves to neutral, and locks up entirely. I could only get it adjusted while the car was up in the air with a helper working the shifter.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

resq302

I know when mine needed adjustment I took something like a 1/4" allen key and slid it into the holes on the shifter mechanism to line everything up and then undid the spring clips and adjusted it to where the metal tabs just slipped right over the stud that came out of the trans.  I have also had to periodically spray either white lube or other kind of lubricant up into the shifter as it sometimes binds up in there.  Could even be time for a rebuild as who knows what kind of wear those things get.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Troy

Ok, trying to be a little more clear - the shifter rods are NO LONGER connected. The shifter mechanism itself will not go into reverse. I'll be pulling it out for inspection whenever I get time.

Troy

resq302

Troy, could just be all grimed up.  Try lubing it up with some PB blaster or other type of lubricant.  Could also be worn down to the point of a rebuild.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Troy on January 12, 2012, 12:56:48 PM
Ok, trying to be a little more clear - the shifter rods are NO LONGER connected. The shifter mechanism itself will not go into reverse. I'll be pulling it out for inspection whenever I get tim

Again, rather than pull the trans, remove the side cover; if it will shift into Reverse with the cover off the problem is the interlock....fairly common.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

elacruze

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 12, 2012, 05:30:55 PM
Quote from: Troy on January 12, 2012, 12:56:48 PM
Ok, trying to be a little more clear - the shifter rods are NO LONGER connected. The shifter mechanism itself will not go into reverse. I'll be pulling it out for inspection whenever I get tim

Again, rather than pull the trans, remove the side cover; if it will shift into Reverse with the cover off the problem is the interlock....fairly common.

John, he's saying it's the shifter itself, not the trans, even when completely disconnected from trans.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

Troy

O-tay, here's the verdict. I pulled the shifter mechanism a few weeks ago and one of the shims was mangled. Other than that, I didn't see anything crazy - other than how filthy it was. The action is very stiff when it's not bolted to anything. I took it to Brewer's Performance and just got a call that it is finished. Due to circumstances it is not a full "rebuild" - just a repair operation. I also picked up a complete set of clips/washers for the linkage as a couple of mine were broken. Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow and I'll have it installed over the weekend. I'll post pics when I get a chance. I thought I had put them online already but I guess not.

Troy

Troy

See the bent shim?

It's all better now. Installed and working great!

Troy