News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

As delivered aftermarket heads

Started by Ghoste, January 06, 2012, 08:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

How many aftermarket head users run them as delivered?  Is everyone doing further porting and so forth on them prior to install.

heyoldguy

TXcharger70

I am running Stealth heads on mine with upgraded locks on a 496 stroker with no porting. And it runs great. I figured when I get bored and want a little hp I would port them to keep me busy

Budnicks

I have done it both ways, box stock just checked & cleaned & fully ported completely different parts or bare casting, using several common brands now, Edelbrock RPM's, Indy 1 & EZ's, Brodix B1, Stealths, Mopar Performance 906 aluminum replacements & Stave IV's CNC ported, MP Stage V's, MP Max Wedge Replacements, lots on the brand X stuff too, on many engines now, always at a minimum, take apart clean & inspect all parts & spring pressures, shim's, seals, valve jobs, retainers, locks, port configurations, casting flash, remove sharp edges & casting flash at a minimum, etc.... I've had great luck with the Edelbrock heads out of the box 'so to speak', great workmanship, parts  & quality for the price...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Chryco Psycho

which heads ?
Some heads need attn some are OK !

BBKNARF

Eddie RPM heads, out of the box, clean them up bolt them up. Great performance for the money  :2thumbs:
One year later took the heads to local shop to open up the bowls, port, valve job and change to a differant valve spring the car went 1/2 sec. faster.
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

Fred

I bought Mopar Hemi 426 style aluminum cylinder heads and I had them cheked. Turns out the seats had to be recut and the heads had to be milled as they were .004" bent.  An extra expence of AU$650.00. And boy, it all adds up!!

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Ghoste

Now there is why I asked because it seems like so many places sell these heads ported and so many advise doing it but most people I've met running aftermarket heads used them untouched.

heyoldguy

Quote from: Ghoste on January 06, 2012, 08:27:01 AM
How many aftermarket head users run them as delivered?  Is everyone doing further porting and so forth on them prior to install.

So does this mean, "What are the benefits of running an aftermarket head out of the box and running an aftermarket head and porting and so forth before installation?"

Ghoste

No, its a question driven by curiousity.  I'm well aware of the benefits of further prep work, I just wonder how many actually do it.

Budnicks

Probably Lots more bolt on's as equipped, lots of guys are either cheap, don't know any better or just don't or wont do the stuff the guys that port & modify them properly, I'll bet...   :hah: Cylinder heads are the single best improvement you can do to make more power & torque, they are the lungs of your engine, with out them properly done/matched, it's like your engine is asthmatic, struggling to breath...  :Twocents:

Ghoste

Agreed, with both points.  But it seems like so many of the head suppliers offer a ported one for a very INsignificant increase in cost that it seemed to me like there should be more people running them ported.  My observational results looked like mostly out of box and thus, here we are.

Budnicks

Quote from: Ghoste on January 08, 2012, 03:02:27 PM
Agreed, with both points.  But it seems like so many of the head suppliers offer a ported one for a very INsignificant increase in cost that it seemed to me like there should be more people running them ported.  My observational results looked like mostly out of box and thus, here we are.
That gets back to my point about people are either just cheap or just don't know any better...

heyoldguy

Quote from: Ghoste on January 08, 2012, 01:41:55 PM
No, its a question driven by curiousity.  I'm well aware of the benefits of further prep work, I just wonder how many actually do it.

A poll, it's a poll. Okay, I NEVER install any head without porting it at least a little, never.

Budnicks

Quote from: heyoldguy on January 08, 2012, 03:31:20 PM

A poll, it's a poll. Okay, I NEVER install any head without porting it at least a little, never.
Spoken like a professional engine builder... What's up Heyoldguy...

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: heyoldguy on January 08, 2012, 03:31:20 PM

I am the same ..... install a non ported as is head  :scratchchin: Why , but then i do my own porting

1970Moparmann

Quote from: TXcharger70 on January 06, 2012, 02:52:55 PM
I am running Stealth heads on mine with upgraded locks on a 496 stroker with no porting. And it runs great. I figured when I get bored and want a little hp I would port them to keep me busy

Same here! :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Fred

Quote from: Budnicks on January 08, 2012, 02:57:39 PM
Probably Lots more bolt on's as equipped, lots of guys are either cheap, don't know any better or just don't or wont do the stuff the guys that port & modify them properly, I'll bet...   :hah: Cylinder heads are the single best improvement you can do to make more power & torque, they are the lungs of your engine, with out them properly done/matched, it's like your engine is asthmatic, struggling to breath...  :Twocents:

Agree  :2thumbs:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

flyinlow

Eddys, bolted them on. Did check that the valves did not leak and look them over.

redmist

Cleaned and inspected my Eddy's and bolted them on. Love them so far. I wish I could get the porting G-code from someone, as I have the CNC available to do the work..  I will most likely send off my heads for porting next winter.
JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.

Scaregrabber

It depends on the application. A mostly stock 440 with a slight cam, I would check a set of Edelbrocks over and bolt them on. My 472 Hemi, I had FHO do the assembly and I installed them. I'm building a 572 Hemi now and obviously the Stage V heads for it will get a full port job.

Sheldon