News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

318 1973 charger to 440

Started by coxie1996, January 04, 2012, 10:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxie1996

soo i recently bought a 1974 440 with big block 727 out of an RV for $300.. all complete and still turns over. what all would i need to convert the 318 to 440?
1. motor mounts?
2. drive shaft length?
3. shifter linkage from SB-BB?
4. clearance?

getting posi rear with 3:73's
and transmissions getting a rebuild kit and shift kit engine probably just rebuild with slight mods.. cam, intake, carb (already have, edelbrock 600) headers.. i plan on doing the swap in the next few months any info on this would be great.. new to engine swaps like this so it would help.. thanks!!!

moparguy01

oh you are going to hate me.  :lol:

The k frame is entirely different. So you will either need to get a Big block K frame and swap it out using the correct big block mounts, or you will need to get the Schumachker conversion mounts.  I first used the conversion mounts and the engine sat up higher than it should have, which made clearances tighter than they should have been. Basically, it made everything a royal bitch. I could not find a set of headers which did not cause me problems, so I ended up using HP manifolds instead.
Needless to say, I am in the process of swapping the correct K member this winter to set the engine where it belongs.

also you need to check the water pump outlet, and see if it is the correct size. The factory 360 radiator in mine had the outlet on the wrong side, and it wouldnt have cooled the engine anyways.

The driveshaft length is different as well.

The kickdown setup was different as well, I went with a LOKAR cable type setup rather than deal with finding the correct factory style one.

You will have to modify your engine compartment wiring as well, not too much luckily but be aware you will need this.
You will also need the correct oil pan. I found only 1 pan that fit. a 951 stamping. The others have the sump just abit too far forward so that it will not allow it to sit correctly on the k frame. if the sump is too far back, it interferes with the steering setup.

If you dont have one already, get at least a 8 3/4 rear end. Chances are your sb car will have the 8 1/4, and that wont last you very long with even a mild 440. (some will argue this, but I've grenaded a few with a 440 car)

Other than that its relatively straight forward, but those were the issues I ran into with mine. Be aware, and like every mopar project, to figure out your budget, take what you think you will need cash wise, double it, then add half and you will end up at about the right figure.

Good luck.

RallyeMike

To add:

I found that the Miloden center sump low-profile 7qt pan fits between the small K and the center link fine. What can I say? I got lucky - it was the pan on the engine.

We're in the middle of this exact swap right now using Schumacher mounts on a 73 small v8 K-frame. Engine and trans are in. Headers were a problem (Hooker Comps) but the problems were common + a few new ones related to the header, not the mounts.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,82517.50.html

You can PM me if you have any hang ups.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

moparguy01

Hey mike, did ou find the engine sitting high? Or did they fix the problem I ran into with mine?

RallyeMike

It seems to be ok. The header clearance problems were typical. I have yet to check driveline angles....
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

71bee

FWIW,

1) Don't use that Eddy 600 CFM carb. snag a good ol' Thermo-quad 850 CFM carb. it will run much better.

2) Your definitely gonna need RB bigger radiator.

3) Use a good ol' set of HP exhaust manifolds ('70-'71) or plan on tons of frustration with those headers.

coxie1996

Quote from: 71bee on January 06, 2012, 01:14:57 PM
FWIW,

1) Don't use that Eddy 600 CFM carb. snag a good ol' Thermo-quad 850 CFM carb. it will run much better.

it has a thermo-quad 800 on it now..

blocks getting hot tanked, the block checked, and new freeze plugs---good idea? and heads hot tanked..

71bee

Quote from: coxie1996 on January 10, 2012, 05:16:01 PMit has a thermo-quad 800 on it now..

blocks getting hot tanked, the block checked, and new freeze plugs---good idea? and heads hot tanked..

The 800 CFM Thermo-quad might work (depends on the model), but it won't yield the potential power that 440 has to offer. if you can, snag a good '72-'74 model 850 CFM T-Q carb. you'll be much happier.  ;)

coxie1996

well im on a budget haha.. being 15 its difficult, but im learning and have time to build this engine right..June is my deadline ha.. im gonna start another thread on rebuilding the 440.. ill post pics on the buiod tonight.. thanks alot!  :2thumbs:

nvrbdn

id just keep it going right here. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

ixnay that, your already going with the other one :smilielol: :smilielol:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

71bee

Quote from: coxie1996 on January 12, 2012, 05:54:27 PM
well im on a budget haha.. being 15 its difficult, but im learning and have time to build this engine right..June is my deadline ha.. im gonna start another thread on rebuilding the 440.. ill post pics on the buiod tonight.. thanks alot!  :2thumbs:

man, I wish I had my Charger at the age of 15. your one lucky dude!  :2thumbs:

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

flyinlow

I mutated my 73/318 car to a 440.

Different k frame,must change or use Schumaker adaptor mounts (I did) ,$200, require slight mod to k frame.
Front springs will be ok if you have an AC car.
If you have a 3.73  8 3/4 axle install it first. Can use with your 318/904 / current driveshaft. Will need an adaptor u joint if the 8 3/4 has the 7290 (large) flange.
While you are putting the new axle in, consider HD rear springs /shocks, make sure brakes are good. Drive the car around make sure it works well in preparation for the 440.
Check the condition for the k frame  to stub frame isolators . If bad they are easier to change while the engine is out.
Mancini sells the RB alternator and power steering pump brackets if you need them. .
If the 440 waterpump inlet is on the passenger side you may be able to use your SB radiator. I used a Jegs 31" generic (Chevy) radiator.
Headers and exhaust...get a hammer....big hammer. :smilielol:
The 440/727 should go in ok . tramsmission mount is the same.
440/727 driveshaft is shorter and bigger diameter...new driveshaft time?
Throttle pressure linkage should be ok unless there is something different about a RV setup.
Engine wiring fits (water temp/alternator,oil pressure), but check the condition of the insulation. You will need to extend the distributor pick up and ign. coil  wires to reach the front of the engine on a 440.This might be a good time to upgrade to an MSD system?
Four barrel aircleaner.
Starter is the same. A healthy 318 car battery will work

Have fun!

coxie1996

sounds fairly easier than i thought!  :yesnod: the fun begis!  :popcrn:

flyinlow

As said earlier, you will need the right oil pan/pickup. A center sump pan, where the sump starts about 5 1/2 " behind the front of the pan.
Check the engine attackment ears for cracks.
Some RV 727's have a different tailshaft then a tramsmission put in a car.

Post some pictures of the engine/trans.

coxie1996

it wont let me post pics  :shruggy: and dont hate me but whats a kickdown cable? and im a bit confised on the oil sump/pan.. thanks guys blocks heading to the shop this weekend!  :2thumbs:

coxie1996

man, I wish I had my Charger at the age of 15. your one lucky dude!  :2thumbs:
[/quote]

and thanks i get that a lot.. i pulled up to the gas station the other day.. after my long tubes got put on  :icon_smile_big: and as i was in line to pay for my gas i heard a clanking sound coming from the door.. "man it sure is windy"- me.. it wasn't the wind  :nana:  guy comes in is that your car out there? yup.. "that's a whole lot of muscle" well thanks, yep its a boat  :smilielol:  love this car!

nvrbdn

a kick down is used as a "passing gear". when you excellerate hard, the kick down shifts the trans to a lower gear for higher rpms or more power.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

flyinlow

Kickdown linkage (throttle pressure linkage) is a bracket,  pivot assembly and rod that connects to the carb at one end and the transmission valve body at the other. It move as you push the gas petal down. The farther you depress the petal, the higher rpm the transmission will use for a shift point. It also increases the internal operating pressures of the transmission. Extended driving with the linkage improperly adjusted or not installed can damage the transmission.

The engines oil pan sump  must fit between the k frame in the front and the steering linkage in the back. In 73 the k frame became more massive than it had been on previous B bodys. Some of the larger capacity factory 440 B body pans will hit the k frame. Aftermarket deep sump pans stick down below the k frame and are at the mercy of speed bumps.

coxie1996

if i could post pics itd help alot but it wont let me  :brickwall:

flyinlow

Resize them or email them to yourself, which should resize them.

flyinlow

71charger

save your photo to paint and you can resize it to like 25%
I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, but I'm all out of bubble gum.

FLG

When you go 440 get a holley or a proform carb and junk the thermo crap. I was all "thermoquad is great" than when the bowl started to leak (common problem) i threw on a holley and was like "holy crap thermoquad has nothing!"