News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Check out my '70 Road runner resto pics

Started by Big Lebowski, January 22, 2006, 04:11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Lebowski

Ok, it's been a while, so I thought it was time for some progress pics...The trunk floor is in and Los Angeles built Roadrunners had this black primer. I got it from resto ricks...Looks nice. :icon_smile_big:

"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

Big Lebowski

A few suspension pics, all new everything...bushings, springs, torsion bars, disc conversion, bookoo bucks. :yesnod:
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

Big Lebowski

Next we will be fitting the new qtrs. and the doors and fenders, cool. Here's some rear susp. pics...

Big Lebowski

A few more pics, this car is now rust free, very solid. We installed the 6-pack triangle on the K-frame, and welded on the Hemi torque box kit in the rear, 440 torsion bars, a big sway bar up front for it's 512 HP 440-6 that's going in.

Big Lebowski

That's all the pics, next time the qtrs. will be on. I hope. :icon_smile_big:

tan top

:scope:    looking  good      :yesnod:   awesome work        :yesnod:        thanks for sharing the pictures :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

6pkrunner

Very clean work. That's going to be a very nice ride.

Big Lebowski

The cosmoline on the lower arms was tricky, it needs alot of coats and then it needs to dry, some warm sunshine helps.

Brock Samson

472 R/T SE

Coming right along there BL, lookin' good.  Sounds like you're going the factory-ish route? 

PocketThunder

Nice work!   :yesnod:

So you painted the engine bay and front wheel wells, then you will finish the quarters and paint them and inside the trunk area...  ?  i've never seen a resto done that way. 
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Charger_Fan

I forgot all about this car, it's looking great! :thumbs:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Big Lebowski

Quote from: PocketThunder on February 06, 2007, 05:23:16 PM
Nice work!   :yesnod:

So you painted the engine bay and front wheel wells, then you will finish the quarters and paint them and inside the trunk area...  ?  i've never seen a resto done that way. 

We bought a gallon of 2 stage B-5 blue, it cost $425. WHAT!!! We're only painting the door jambs, trunk floor, int. floor, and the inner fenders, front frame, etc. A real pro painter will do all of the outside. The front frame had to be B-5 blued first to get the suspension back in. When the qtrs. are installed, it's rolling out to a place called So. Cal. body & paint, these guys just do Roadrunners, Chargers, Mustangs, Corvettes, and other muscle cars. I've seen some quality work done in there. :icon_smile_big:

GTX

Gee, I used to have a really nice complete grille for a '70 RR but since mine is an GTX  I never put it on.
I wonder if i still have it laying around?

nakita7

How did you clean the bottom? Wire wheel?

wetfeetmi

Looks like you are doing a top notch job!  My '70 Charger has almost NO paint on the underside.  I thought all Mopars were body color underneath.  I was disapointed. It will be body color when I am thru. I am removing 30 years of dirt and grime as we speak. I too am painting sections as I re-install suspension pieces. It is getting a complete energy suspension bushing kit. I also welded in sub frame connectors  Rick

Big Lebowski

Quote from: nakita7 on February 07, 2007, 01:42:28 AM
How did you clean the bottom? Wire wheel?

First we had the whole car media blasted inside & out, but that only removed 75% of the undercoating. So we used aircraft stripper to soften it a little, then scraped it off. We then used the softer stainless steel wire wheels, and the material removing discs that look like hard sponges, it took about a week, working 3-4 hours a night after work. It was fun. :icon_smile_big:

Big Lebowski

Quote from: wetfeetmi on February 07, 2007, 06:46:26 PM
Looks like you are doing a top notch job!  My '70 Charger has almost NO paint on the underside.  I thought all Mopars were body color underneath.  I was disapointed. It will be body color when I am thru. I am removing 30 years of dirt and grime as we speak. I too am painting sections as I re-install suspension pieces. It is getting a complete energy suspension bushing kit. I also welded in sub frame connectors  Rick

I did alot of research on this one. Most Mopars had a dark silver looking primer, w/ about 6" of body color overspray. Our '70 Roadrunner was built in Los Angeles where the Roadrunners were primered w/ the black. The primer is from Resto Rick.
   Everybody seems to say that cars w/ shiny body colors on the bottom are "over restored". I know a real Chrysler factory worker from the 70's...He claims Chrysler was "very cheap" w/ the paint, meaning the cars were dipped in primer, then had very little body color overspray underneath. He also said not all cars were undercoated but most dealers "undercoated" the wheel wells for an extra dealer mark up. Anybody else ever heard about this? Dunno for sure :shruggy:

Big Lebowski

We had some cool progress this week. So in order to line up the qtrs. guess where we started? You guessed it, the hood. After it's aligned with the cowl, we put the fenders on and lined them up with the hood. Next the doors went on with the old rubber weatherstrip put back on the doors, that's so the doors aren't too far in. It's starting to look like a '70 Roadrunner again. Here's some pics of the new qtrs. going on...

Big Lebowski

The new drivers side qtr...

Big Lebowski

This car has some nice rust free sheetmetal...

Brock Samson

Big Lebowski

A few more...

Big Lebowski

cool eye candy :icon_smile_big:

Big Lebowski

more front pics...