News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 charger

Started by moparsal, December 23, 2011, 04:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparsal

Anyone  know why my numbers matching unrestored original  68 charger  radiator supports numbers DO NOT MATCH the Vin,
My 69 numbers match, 
Sal from n.y.

Back N Black

The dash VIN matches the numbers stamped on the engine and tranny. This number, if present, is stamped by the oil sending unit on the back of the block.
The body numbers, radiator support and trunk rail, match the sales order number on the fender tag.

vancamp

om your 68 the numbers on the core support are different because A. its been changed at some point or B. its an early build and has the s.o. number instead of the v.i.n.

PatrickPeeters

Seen several 68, not any of them matches radiator support numbers.....(69 do, haven't seen any that didn't match)

Same number of the radiatorsupport is stamped somewhere in middle of the package tray (best viewed while lying in the trunk facing up!)

Patrick  :punkrocka:

elacruze

My original unmolested '68 R/T (back in '79 when I owned it) did not have numbers matching between VIN, engine/tranny, and body. There were 3 different numbers entirely.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Dans 68

On '68's the vin number will only match the partial vin stamp on the engine and transmission if they are stamped. The S.O. number on the fender tag will match the stampings on the radiator support and left side trunk lip. If you have any photos of different stamping configurations I'd love to see them.  :yesnod:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Dans 68 on December 23, 2011, 06:33:42 PM
On '68's the vin number will only match the partial vin stamp on the engine and transmission if they are stamped. The S.O. number on the fender tag will match the stampings on the radiator support and left side trunk lip. If you have any photos of different stamping configurations I'd love to see them.  :yesnod:

Dan

:2thumbs:  That's the way I understand it and haven't seen it any other way on all the cars I looked at when I was shopping.

Quote from: vancamp on December 23, 2011, 05:37:40 PM
om your 68 the numbers on the core support are different because A. its been changed at some point or B. its an early build and has the s.o. number instead of the v.i.n.

That would be for 69s, where the VIN is in all the previously mentioned places.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

moparsal

Thanks guys for the info, now i can explain when i sell my cars,
Merry Christmas & healthy to all.

adauto

My 68 doesnt match either... now I know,  :yesnod:
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl