News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Clone: Bird or Daytona cost difference

Started by 68RRFlyer, December 16, 2011, 05:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68RRFlyer

Hey Folks,

I've been talking to a gentleman from Germany who is very interested in my little shop building him a wing car clone.  I'm pretty excited about the opportunity to have an international client, although I really don't know when I'd start on it since I'm already swamped.  Pretty sweet though! :2thumbs:  Best part is my "real" job takes me to Germany each month, so once all the details are ironed out I can have a face to face meeting with him whenever I need to. ;D

He's not set on any car, but I think based on our conversations he'd like a Bird.  He's not said either way, and I'm compiling parts lists for each from the forum to sort of do a little presentation to him of the pros and cons of each one.  It seems for the best bang for the buck, a Bird is the way to go.  He can start with a nice restored, or close to it,  70 RR for cheaper than he can start with a 69 Charger.  That I think would get him ahead of the game since if the interior and all that is done, that's just more money for the wing car parts.  What do you guys think between the two on an economic standpoint?  What pitfalls are specific to the Roadrunner that may be more of a hassle over the Daytona?  Or are they both pretty similar when it comes to stuff just being down right astronomical no matter how you slice it? :eyes:  Thanks folks.

Cheers :cheers:   
Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1964 Corvette Convertible
1949 Chevy 3100

DAY CLONA

Price is subjective to both cars, all depends what route your going with repro or original wingcar parts, fiberglass, or steel/aluminum, how original appearing your attempting to make the the car appear?......it's a mixed "bag", I have some guys buy "complete" kits averaging around $7500-$9000 and that completes their build based on what they require, and then I have some guys spend the max ($15,000) for every little piece required, because they are doing a full cloned build, then if you add/substitute NOS/original parts, the skies the limit, plus keep in mind regardless of the vendor(s) most of the parts are hand fabricated and require a good lead time, in my case, I often take orders for a few parts, then make a small run, which after the customers are supplied, still occupies my time should a customer require additional parts, the same if i take an order for a complete kit, I won't set up molds/dies/bucks/plates just to make 1 of everything, I 'll generate a run of parts, that way I profit, and another customer benefits from having a part(s) in stock, unless we're talking something one-off or custom, like a 71 Superbird, or custom wing, nose, etc....Time and Money are your enemies building a wingcar,....just ask anyone who's done one, original, or clone/custom.....expect to invest/pay twice as much, and take twice as long, regardless of how much money or time you have

Mike

68RRFlyer

Mike,

Agreed on all accounts and it's some interesting insight on your product inventory.  I live in Spring, TX and basically right around the corner from Ted.  That'll save on shipping at least!  :lol:  My question I'm asking is what's less expensive to do: Daytona or a Superbird?  Agreed on whatever the customer wants or how far he goes into it.  Lots of variables but if you take it pound for pound with all things being equal such as the condition of the starter car, then what's the least expensive to do?  From the conversations we've had, I think he wants a 100% correct, or as close to it, clone and not some thrown together pile of parts.  Seems like the Superbird is the best bag for your buck based on what you can buy to start out the clone build with.  In other words, nicely done 70 RRs are a lot cheaper than 69 Chargers it seems.  Thoughts on that?  Once I get things finalized with this gentleman, I'll send you an email and maybe we can discuss a package to fit this build's needs whether it be the Daytona or the Bird as compared to Ted's parts.  I have a few extra sets of 70 Coronet fenders, hoods, and a few complete Vega hatches I've grabbed over the years surfing CL around here.  Figured they'd come in handy one day anyway for me or someone else.

Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1949 Chevy 3100

hemi68charger

Ah oh................  Whenever Dave comes over to the house now, I'll have to do inventory.....  :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

68RRFlyer

Now Troy, you know that's not true..."Hey, what's that over there???" YOINK!!! :angel:

But if he has a Daytona in the plans.........have camera, will travel. ;)

Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1949 Chevy 3100

rainbow4jd

From a practical standpoint, you can also include the 1970 Satellite in your universe of potential clone donor cars.    You may discover it more cost efficient to start with a 318 Satellite and then drop in a crate Hemi.  I am presuming IF he is doing clone work, that your client, is "cloning" at the the top of the heap - ergo Hemi-car.

Arnie Cunningham

jmo If your client can afford to build a very correct Superbird clone, fly you back and fourth to europe and ship the car and pay import duties,.... He can afford a real Superbird.  You may want to talk with him about restoring the real thing.  If he wants a Daytona that is another story altogether.
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

68RRFlyer

We are still working out the details since I'm still gathering info on the conversions, so not real sure about the Hemi aspect of things.  I don't think that is going to be the way he goes. 

No, the client isn't flying me back and forth to the Europe.  If you read my post, it's my fulltime job (read, "real" job) that affords me the travel to and from Europe all the time.  I'm fortunate enough to travel to Germany usually about every month or so depending on where I bid to work.  That's just an added perk to this whole opportunity.

Good info guys, thanks for the thoughts. :2thumbs: 
Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1949 Chevy 3100

hotrod98

I don't have much more money in my real Superbird than what I would have had in the Superbird clone that I was building. But, I have about twice as much in my real bird than I had in my Daytona clone. Of course, I bought the Charger many years ago when they were somewhat cheaper.

If I didn't have my bird and was going to build myself a clone today, I would definitely build a Daytona or 500 clone. Actually, I'm already considering building a Daytona or 500 clone just for fun.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

DonC1

I prefer the SuperBird myself....seems a more slippery sillhouette than the Daytona.
Unlike probably most everyone else I will set up my dies/molds/ specs to make one part at a time
but then some say I take a long time to make things...like this custom steel fender....so far 3 days into it
from scratch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1byLHD-z87A