News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do you automatically look to Chrysler Corp. first when buying a car?

Started by bull, December 14, 2011, 10:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's your SOP when buying a car, new or used?

I refuse to look beyond Chrysler when buying a car
I always exhaust all Chrysler offerings first before looking elsewhere
I only look to domestic car companies
All makes are on the table from the start when I buy
I buy the first cheap POS that lands in my lap

41husk

I don't know why but i have been brand loyal through my years :shruggy:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

bull

Quote from: chargerboy69 on December 15, 2011, 02:29:52 PM

I want this choice too. . . Chrysler is making nothing now I want. . . . Ok, some of the Jeep line I like, but they can keep the rest.  Hard to get excited about a line of cars with all the same stupid grill.

The Challenger doesn't have that grill.

1970Moparmann

First off, I will only buy domestics moving forward.   I had a period where I was frustrated with Chrysler and GM due to the Government helping out BS, so I strayed off track and bought a Honda - never again.    I think mechanically it is sound, but in my book it's a POS.   Windows rattle, squeaks, bad on gas (it's an van), no features on it even though I have the second most expensive model.

When I was interested in a truck, I looked hard at the Silverado, Ram and F150.   I ended up with a F150 and LOVE it.   I think the fit and finish is better than any of them for the money.

Only American owned companies for me moving forward. :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Finn

I love Dodge but lately Ive developed a strange obsession with the chevy cruze eco. 42 mpg on a combustion engine and I can get it with a manual trans for just about 20k?? Nice.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

RallyeMike

QuoteOnly American owned companies for me moving forward.

So because Fiat has a 20% stake in Chrysler now, no more Mopars? Or are they still "American enough"?

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Ghoste

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

...Just test drove a Ford Diesel truck today for the wifey    :scratchchin:

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on December 15, 2011, 02:20:53 PM
Quote from: RallyeMike on December 15, 2011, 02:06:35 AM
So buying a Toyota Camry is more supportive of America than a Ram 2500 (assembled in Mexico).

No, I don't agree. Toyota banked the profits, overall.

They are also the ones employing Americans...     not Chrysler...     Toyota may make the $$$ but they are also INVESTING it here in the US as oppose to Chrysler who invests their profits in Mexico and Canada...     
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

bill440rt

I voted "I always exhaust all Chrysler offerings first before looking elsewhere."

With the exception of a company/work provided vehicle, I've always owned/driven Chrysler products. I don't know why, I'm just partial to them. I've owned Chrysler products build in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and thru now. Some Mitsu-based, others "made in Mexico", etc. The only one I really didn't like was my '07 Ram 2500, which turned out to be a lemon & drove me thru the ringer.

My company '07 Chevy Impala with 55000+ is now going on it's second set of head gaskets.  :brickwall:

My wife used to drive Mazda's, we had a Tribute for a short while. Wasn't bad overall, but after a few years it wore off rather quickly. She has since been converted.  :D

If I can't find a Chrysler product that fits/suits our needs or I just don't like the looks of it, then I'll look elsewhere. So far, I haven't had to.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Just 6T9 CHGR

Ok flame suit on but I prefer Honda's and Nissan's as daily drivers...there I've said it
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

chrisII

I have always had mopar, but only two so far that are new enough to be diamler. IMO they distroyed Chrysler corp. Im looking forward to fiat bringing them back. fiat may not be an american company, but I would still rather give my sale to a company who has helped rebuild chrysler than one from japan who built factorys here just to save import costs.

TUFCAT

maxwellwedge

I bought the Challenger in 2008....Great car.

But - There is no similarity between the "New" Chrysler and the old, All Chrysler, Chrysler.

I became a Mopar guy because my father always had one.

I agree with Troy. Too many fights and arguments over warranty drove me away in the early 80's. Many problems with friends and family that have owned them as well. Actually - with all the "domestics".

This ain't what Walter P. started.

So for now - I say Arrivaderci to the New Chrysler

DC_1

I always try to buy Chrysler first. However, I have through the years been forced to look and buy other brands. In the late 80s and early 90s when everything they made was K car based and front wheel drive I bought a couple 5.0L Mustangs. In the late 90s I bought a Ford F150 because I didn't like the Dodge pickups,. other than that I have owned probably 30 Mopars from 2nd gen Chargers and 70s Roadrunners to Mini vans and pickups. I skipped most of the offerings in th 80s and jumped into the mini van era in the 90s after I got married.

Rolling_Thunder

Another thing - If I could get what I wanted from Chrysler I would probably look into them a little more seriously...       
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

69_500

Have always bought Mopars. Only strayed away for 2 vehicles total in my life. Those two were Fords. 1969 Mustang, and a 1989 Ford Taurus SHO. Both were pretty nice cars, but I prefer my Mopars. Have bought a total of 4 brand new cars, and have not had a problem with a single one. Put 300K miles on a 1990 Dodge Daytona ES with the 3.0 V6 and never had a problem with that car. Have put 315K miles on a 1995 Intrepid ES with the 3.5 V6. No problems out of it either. Neither car had engine work done, or tranny work done. Nothing more than changing plugs, oil, brake pads, and tranny fluid. Thats it. Now do have a 98 Avenger with the Mitsubishi engine and tranny in it, and that car has lost 2 tranny's in a span of 40K. So I avoid the stuff with the Mitsu parts on it now.

Other than that for me its like this. Its MOPAR or NO CAR.

472 R/T SE

We're finally @ 100% Mopar.  Although the past 2 daily driver purchases were used so it doesn't matter as much.  Doing research on which model was the most reliable & had the best residual makes a big difference.

The only new rigs we've bought & paid for were 2 Ram pick ups.

I've also avoided the Diamond Star (Rebranded Mitsubishi) rigs that Chyrsler was peddling.   

RallyeMike

So buying a Toyota Camry is more supportive of America than a Ram 2500 (assembled in Mexico).

No, I don't agree. Toyota banked the profits, overall.

Why focused on only the profit?

The profit that Toyota makes might be a few hundred dollars depending on the sales price - So say $500 goes back to Japan in profit. That's absolute PEANUTS compared to the labor wages paid to the American sub-assemblers and assemblers of the Camry and all the other businesses that are located here in America that support those workers and that plant.

On the other hand, you buy a Ram 2500 and it's the Mexican assembly wage-earners and their system you support, and Chrysler (20% Fiat-owned) gets a little profit (tho admittedly, more profit than the Camry because the Ram line is very profitable).

Not trying to pick on you, but this is the kind of typical "buy-amercian" thought process that just plain no longer works. The name plate on the vehicle is no longer an automatic indicator of how much support you are giving American business, jobs, and economy.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Chryco Psycho

As long as the Cummins is available in the Ram I will not look at anything else , nothing even comes as far as power & reliability , as well as fuel economy , I have seen the engines run close to a million miles trouble free as long as you service them regularly .
The new Challenger is awesome with the hemi & 6 speed  & I could not been seen driving the the homely new Camaro !!
I have never been a fan of front drive & auto trannys so cars & mini vans I would look around more . I just do not believe that trying to put power steering & braking all through the front tires is the best idea .

RedChargerRob

My guideline is simple: I buy from an American company with the highest percentage of U.S. content. I've never, and never will, buy a completely foreign-owned company's vehicle.

jaak

I used to always have to have a Chrysler, but shitty dealership services and an even shitter Extended warranty I bought one time turn me off of them. Now I have bought another Chrysler since (Bought my wife a used Intrepid 5-6 years ago, and still have it) and I still drive my free beater Neon around. I like Chryslers but since Im older, family man I just look for the best deal on a US brand car. I don't know what it is, but I have never owned a foreign brand vehicle....I got nothing against them, just never owned one.
Someone earlier mentioned a Ford F150, I gotta say I really like those, Im a government worker and I drive an 09 F150 daily (fixing to have to turn it in for a 2012 model soon), If I had to buy me a new pick up right now....I think it would be a F150 even though I have never owned a Ford truck myself.

But as for my projects....they will ALWAYS be MOPAR!

Jason

Iceyone

Considering a Hyundai or Kia for the wife this year. 10 year/100K mile warranty. We both like the new Challenger but would not consider one for every day driving. I'm turned off of anything from GM because of premature failures in the drive trains of the 3 out of 4 GMs I owned. Chrysler just doesn't make anything else that interests me.  
68 Charger
70 Super Bee
11 SRT8 Challenger
30 Chevy Universal

71charger_fan

Between my wife and I, we've purchased 13 new cars. 1 Olds Cutlass, 1 Mitsu-built Challenger, Chrysler LeBaron, Shelby Charger, 2 Cherokees, 3 Neons, 2 Libertys, 1 Wrangler, and a Challenger SRT-8.

Used cars between the two of us were a Vega, Dart, Camaro, 59 Coronet, Satellite, Barracuda Gran Coupe, Barracuda convertible, 3 Chargers, Shelby Charger, Shelby Lancer, Shadow, Daytona Pacifica, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Charger 2.2

Oddly, considering there's a Vega on the list, the worst piece of crap was the Camaro.

chargerjy9

Ma Mopar has provided for me and my family and put food on my table for near 50 years. I put 35 years of my life into Chrysler, they have been good to me.
I only look at Chrysler products. I don't bite the hand that feeds me. I bleed Mopar blue.
1973 Dodge Charger SE 400 4 bbl,727, survivor
1977 AMC Pacer original
2011 Dodge charger R/T Max

Magnumcharger

First answer is yes, I buy Mopar.
My first and only new car purchase was/is a 2010 Challenger R/T, which I've been driving the wheels off of since I ordered it new.
I've had nothing but joy in driving it, and there has been zero problems in 55,000kms of driving. So, it was a good purchase.

My wife bought a used Jaguar X-type in 2006. This car is an interesting hybrid of British and Domestic components, as Ford owned Jaguar for awhile. Interestingly, the only parts that have crapped out on it were the actual Jaguar-sourced components. How do I know? I can't buy them at any place other than the Jaguar parts department! Recently, the alternator bit the dirt...and I was quoted $900 ~ for just the part! $1250 installed!
Ultimately, I managed to order an alternator from NAPA for this car (after searching for three days) for $276.

Long story short; my next car will be a domestic. Preferably a Mopar product.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed