News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

intake upgrade

Started by johnnycharger, December 02, 2011, 11:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycharger

Hi guys
I currently have a edelbrock performer 383 intake manifold  with a holly 750 carburetor. Will I see a horse power increase if I switched to a Weiand Teen g intake manifold? Or is this close enough to what I have to leave it alone?
Thanks guys in advance I always appreciate your input.

Ghoste

Kind of depends on the rest of the car.  An intake swap might see an increase provided the rest of your combination can take advantage of it.  That being said, I'm not a big fan of the Performer.  The Performer RPM is another matter and there many people with good things to say about the regular Performer too but personally I tried one and didn't like it.  I don't have any first or second hand knowledge of the Team G to guess an answer to your question.

469 runner

The Team G manifold is a single plane that might work well on a modified engine with a manual transmission, I think if you want an upgrade from the Edelbrock performer you should consider the Edelbrock Performer RPM.  The Performer is a stock replacement manifold basically, the Performer RPM will offer better performance.

Chryco Psycho

I agree , the performer intakes were nto performers so an intake swap even back to stock will help , the Team G is a high rpm race intake & not the best choice unless you want a 3000-up power band , the Pefromer RPM is a better choice for most street applications but it needs to match the rest of the engine combo which is unknown

Ghoste

Which leads to the question we should ask about your question... what is the rest of your combination?

BIGBLCK11

Ditto on the Performer RPM.  Keep in mind you will probably need to run a drop base air cleaner for a stock hood, which gives you limited selection.  I was able to mill part of the neck on an aluminum base, using a 2" filter to clear ok.  The intake is pretty tall.

BSB67

Quote from: johnnycharger on December 02, 2011, 11:17:46 PM
Hi guys
I currently have a edelbrock performer 383 intake manifold  with a holly 750 carburetor. Will I see a horse power increase if I switched to a Weiand Teen g intake manifold? Or is this close enough to what I have to leave it alone?
Thanks guys in advance I always appreciate your input.

If your 383 is stockish, or slightly modified, the manifold that you have is probably as good as you are going to do IMO.  The 383 Performer is better than a stock intake, and is actually the DB4B, turned around.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Ghoste

:P  No sense likely in rehashing it since we have had this debate before but my car slowed down over the stock intake when I went to the Performer.  I don't care it myself.

johnnycharger

Thanks for all the valuable feedback . My 383 is stockish. Aftermarket air cleaner, holly 750, headers, flowmasters, TF 727 with a shift kit, 4.10 rear. To my knowledge my heads, cam, crank etc are all stock.
:2thumbs:

BSB67

Quote from: Ghoste on December 03, 2011, 07:22:08 PM
:P  No sense likely in rehashing it since we have had this debate before but my car slowed down over the stock intake when I went to the Performer.  I don't care it myself.

I don't recall....on a 383?

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Ghoste

It was a while back and trust me, it wasn't a big deal.  Two different opinions- nothing more nothing less. 

BSB67

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Silver R/T

I like my Holley Street Dominator
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

greenpigs

4.10's

I would go with the Performer RPM as your not going to be in the lower RPM range for very long most times.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

johnnycharger

Quote from: greenpigs on January 09, 2012, 09:59:50 PM
4.10's

I would go with the Performer RPM as your not going to be in the lower RPM range for very long most times.

Thank you. Yes it does run at high revs all of the time. It got a lot quicker off the jump when i put the 4.10s in, but i am thinking i went a little too far since it tachs out so fast.  :cheers:

404NOTFOUND

I have the Performer RPM and agree with all the other posts word for word.
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

firefighter3931

Quote from: johnnycharger on December 03, 2011, 07:37:51 PM
Thanks for all the valuable feedback . My 383 is stockish. Aftermarket air cleaner, holly 750, headers, flowmasters, TF 727 with a shift kit, 4.10 rear. To my knowledge my heads, cam, crank etc are all stock.

Is this an original 4bbl engine or was it a 2bbl ? There is a difference because the 2bbl 383 has a milder cam that will limit upper end power....so it might not show any gains with a "better" intake manifold  :P

The 383 "performer" is a better manifold than the 440 version so it's not necessarily a bad choice on a stock (low compression/small cam) 2bbl 383 engine.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

greenpigs

I use the Weind Action Plus which is similar to the performer but a little better in the few dyno comparisons I have seen. They still make them for the B motor but have stopped production on the RB for some reason.

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

johnnycharger

Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 10, 2012, 01:32:22 PM
Quote from: johnnycharger on December 03, 2011, 07:37:51 PM

Is this an original 4bbl engine or was it a 2bbl ? There is a difference because the 2bbl 383 has a milder cam that will limit upper end power....so it might not show any gains with a "better" intake manifold 

The 383 "performer" is a better manifold than the 440 version so it's not necessarily a bad choice on a stock (low compression/small cam) 2bbl 383 engine.  :Twocents:

Ron

Hi Ron
Unfortunatly i do not know if it was 2bbl or 4bbl. It has been 4bbl since i have owned it......

:shruggy:

greenpigs

What is the 5th digit on your VIN?

G is a 2 bbl 383
H is a 4 bbl 383

At least for 68-69 it is.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

RallyeMike

QuoteTo my knowledge my heads, cam, crank etc are all stock.

I would just leave it the way it is until you are ready to do more than an intake swap. Any gains without a cam upgrade would be minimal, so spend your time and $ wisely and work towards a package upgrade.

As said, stay away from the Team G with your combo.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

johnnycharger

Hi guys
Thanks for the advice. It is a "G". I think i will leave it for now....