News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger Air Conditioning Pumps Single or Dual Pulley

Started by ChargersETC..ETC.., December 01, 2011, 12:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargersETC..ETC..

I clueless again.
What is the correct air cond pump for a 1968 Dodge Charger 383 H code factory 4bbl ?
I bought a single clutch pulley ac pump supposed to be off a 68 R/T 440 as far as I know.
But so far it looks like all the pics I see use a dual belt pulley set up ac pump.
Where do you find the correct part # on Chrysler ac pumps?
Heres all the numbers I can find read from passenger side to drivers side of car.
2002748  R 8 72 passenger side
middle 2 A z h or 3604695 front center near pulley
bottom center 36092807
drivers side 2002747

I found the passenger side to have the same part # as a 1969 318 ac pump but overall the pumps look diffrent so I sure hope I have the correct 383 ac pump.
Thanks

ChargersETC..ETC..

I found a picture of a 1969 440 ac pump with # 2002748 on passenger side. maybee some parts interchange or thats a 1969 code don't know :shruggy:

I can't find any single groove mopar ac pumps yet so I'm guessing a 2 groove ac pump is correct based on all the pics posted? Or can the pulleys clutches be swapped from single to dual pulley to be used as long as the pump core is the same charger b body 383 440 unit?

68neverlate

Quote from: ChargersETC..ETC.. on December 01, 2011, 12:45:08 AM
I clueless again.
What is the correct air cond pump for a 1968 Dodge Charger 383 H code factory 4bbl ?
I bought a single clutch pulley ac pump supposed to be off a 68 R/T 440 as far as I know.
But so far it looks like all the pics I see use a dual belt pulley set up ac pump.
Where do you find the correct part # on Chrysler ac pumps?
Heres all the numbers I can find read from passenger side to drivers side of car.
2002748  R 8 72 passenger side
middle 2 A z h or 3604695 front center near pulley
bottom center 36092807
drivers side 2002747

I found the passenger side to have the same part # as a 1969 318 ac pump but overall the pumps look diffrent so I sure hope I have the correct 383 ac pump.
Thanks

I have a 1968 Dodge Charger 383 H code factory 4bbl and the a/c pump is a double belt drive...

ChargersETC..ETC..

Looks like I need a dual pulley ac compresser.
I think I found a pic that looks like what I just bought looks like a small block 72 340 ac compresser.I don't know haven't seen a pic of the pulley yet to count the grooves.
I'll try and post pic of what I bought later.

ChargersETC..ETC..

Here is what was sold as a 1968 Charger R/T 440 air cond pump???
What do you think it fits? :shruggy:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Sorry thats definitely a small block A/C compressor setup...

This is a big block set up

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bakerhillpins

Is the compressor unit identical, just a different pulley?
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

ChargersETC..ETC..

Those are good looking cars pictured!
I don't know which small block the compressor I have fits. I've seen a 69 fury 318 with a single pulley ac and a 72 fury III 360 with dual pulley ac compressor. I saw a pic on another ac post on the site and it looked like I have a 340 ac compressor.

I don't think the compressors are identical? It looks like some of the parts are the the exact same part # though like the top pump cylinder heads or whatever there called?
I don't know if the pulleys/clutch unit can be swapped? Or maybee mine was swapped out years ago I could still possiabley have the correct compessor core if I knew what the correct pump casting # was supposed to be. I guess if the compressor I had was correct core unit
I would need to change mounting brackets ,clutch pulleys,intake and exhaust ports or just plain find the correct factory part  :icon_smile_big:

ChargersETC..ETC..

I contacted the seller and it turns out there was apparently a mix up in the parts so he's looking for the correct ac compressor which I appreciate so hopefully it will turn up.
Thanks for all the pics and advice .  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

A383Wing

I assume it's going an a big block? If so, you will need all the appropriate mounting brackets & braces as well....4 total I think

Bryan

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: ChargersETC..ETC.. on December 02, 2011, 12:31:56 AM
I contacted the seller and it turns out there was apparently a mix up in the parts so he's looking for the correct ac compressor which I appreciate so hopefully it will turn up.
Thanks for all the pics and advice .  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Looking at the hoses & brackets etc you have pictured in the tubs, it looks like there is a lot more of a mix up on just the compressor..... :Twocents:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

ChargersETC..ETC..

Still waiting :shruggy: . Yes it looks like I was sold a lot of useless parts that won't fit a 68 charger.
I have some idea now of what is correct.Thanks

bakerhillpins

Sorry to hear that the seller seems to be passing on his duty to correct the problem.  :icon_smile_dissapprove:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

ChargersETC..ETC..

Still waiting .... I hope he reads the message board and finds ac pump or refunds my money or something . :shruggy:

ChargersETC..ETC..

Well the  seller was able to locate a ac pump for me which I sure appreciate . I'm not sure if it fits yet but if it does I plan to post pics later. It's a dual pulley ac pump
Thanks

68neverlate

Good stuff... hopefully your problems are solved!   :yesnod: