News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

possibly dumb question

Started by Wolfie, November 30, 2011, 06:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfie

again, im a bit of a newbie when it comes to cars - but within the last month or so my charger has been putting out some really strong smells from the exhaust, along with a bit of white smoke. i took it in to a shop thinking the oil needed changing or there was too much oil (?) and the guy said just drive it more and 'burn that shit out on the open road (kind of hard to do in l.a.). the smell im smelling smells strongly of gasoline - so i was thinking perhaps i have too much gas flooded in the carb, as suggested by a friend. i thought this might be the case, as i have trouble starting the car lately as well and it usually takes about 4 - 6 tries before the engine finally turns over.

unfortunately im unable to drive the car as much as i would like to these days, so i was wondering if you guys could give me a few suggestions as to what it could be before i take it in again. i dont want to be turned away and told to just "drive it more". last thing i need is for it break down on me and have to be left at whatever shop is open or nearby at that time.

thanks in advance to all that reply
New to the muscle car/mopar addiction so bare with the "dumb" things I'm likely to ask all of you. Just trying to learn and gotta start somewhere! Cheers!

69rtse4spd

There are no dumb questions, & I am by far no expert, others on here are far more knowable then I. Strong smell of gas could be over rich in the carb, or other problems with it. What kind of carb is it, has it been rebuilt. Dose the white smoke stop after awhile or continues, motor been rebuilt, if not could be a weak head gasket pulling in some coolent, check your level. Bubbles in the radiator, head gasket going bad. Like I said I am no expert, just my  :Twocents: worth.

Daytona R/T SE

Fuel pump is leaking into the crankcase.

Replace fuel pump.

Change the oil.

Tilar

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on November 30, 2011, 07:13:37 PM
Fuel pump is leaking into the crankcase.

Replace fuel pump.

Change the oil.

:iagree:  Don't drive it like that.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

greenpigs

Not a thing wrong with asking questions but try the search feature first. Only reason I say this is you might find the answers right away instead of having to wait. :Twocents:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

RallyeMike

Honestly, you are not going to get a good diagnosis via the internet. White smoke, if it truly is white, is typically condensation from the exhaust, unless it smokes all the time, in which case it may be a head gasket or other issue allowing coolant into the cylinders. Since you are not mechanically knowledgeable, the visual color of the smoke you are describing may not even be accurate.

It's not untypical for for old cars with carbs to run rich. A good mechanic hooking your car up to a analyzer will be able to pinpoint your issue and give you more than "run it and burn that shit out". He should be able to tell you WHY it is doing what it is doing.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

tracpack440

Hi . If your smelling raw fuel  Also check for fuel leaks , From ths carb , the fuel pump.  Old crusty fuel hoses. If you drive it bring a fire extinguisher with you.  Just in case. And you should see a professional technician.  
1969 Charger  R/T SE 4 spd dana