News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Garage

Started by elacruze, November 18, 2011, 10:00:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elacruze

New Garage, going up. I'll update as things go along.
Anybody got flooring recommendations? This will be a working area, so I'm thinking epoxy not tile.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

djcarguy

:2thumbs: is block wall for fire code,because of how close to fence or other house??  you say work area ,that will be great  to have seperate work area. allbest ta ya

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemi68charger

Quote from: djcarguy on November 18, 2011, 10:30:15 AM
:2thumbs: is block wall for fire code,because of how close to fence or other house??  you say work area ,that will be great  to have separate work area. allbest ta ya

All the homes in South Florida USED to be built with cinder blocks... I remember growing up and living in a house like that. Then, not sure what happen, coding, politicians, Snow-birds building; but homes went to frame....  :flame:  Don't hold up to hurricanes very well.
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

41husk

I wonder how much more it cost to build a block building?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

elacruze

Quote from: 41husk on November 18, 2011, 10:42:28 AM
I wonder how much more it cost to build a block building?

the cost difference is insignificant, at least down here. I had it quoted both ways just to find out, but never considered using wood.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

chargd72

Epoxy for sure.  Bro-in-law has it in his garage.  Cleaning spills is as easy as hosing it off.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

bobs66440

Epoxy. Just make sure you get the best quality and it's applied properly. I painted my floor and it wasn't long before it was coming up in sheets!

Don't forget the footings for the lift!  :2thumbs:

Patronus

I would put a down-draft booth into there  :yesnod:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

tan top

:coolgleamA:  looking good  :yesnod:

Quote from: Patronus on November 18, 2011, 06:19:32 PM
I would be put a down-draft booth into there  :yesnod:

:coolgleamA:  good idea  ;D :yesnod: :paintingpink:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

NHCharger

Quote from: bobs66440 on November 18, 2011, 02:54:44 PM
Epoxy. Just make sure you get the best quality and it's applied properly. I painted my floor and it wasn't long before it was coming up in sheets!

Don't forget the footings for the lift!  :2thumbs:

Looks like the floor is already poured. I vote for epoxy also. I used Behr two part. Primed first, then one coat of finish. Was the cheapest way out at the time. It has held up surprisingly well considering the amount of thrashing I do in the shop. It is starting to wear out.I'll need to re-coat next year.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

elacruze

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

68blue

Retired from the paint industry I can say that a lot of the issues with epoxy peel up are related to prep, application temp, and parking on it before it's cured. Epoxy can be dry to walk on but if you set something on it, like a car, the area where the tires contact the floor can block full cure causing peel up later. Wait a week with ambient temps above 50 before setting stuff on it.   

jb666

Another vote for Epoxy. I took the time , 3 years ago, and did mine myself. It still looks like the day I put it down and NOTHING sticks to it...  :2thumbs:

The key is all in the prep.

Darkman

Can anyone spot the face made from cinderblocks? Looks like it's wearing a hat!
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

ACUDANUT

Whats wrong with just a smooth concrete floor ? It beats a rock or dirt floor. :shruggy:

stripedelete

Quote from: Darkman on November 21, 2011, 07:48:36 PM
Can anyone spot the face made from cinderblocks? Looks like it's wearing a hat!
Ha!  You're right.

elacruze

Quote from: ACUDANUT on November 21, 2011, 08:02:11 PM
Whats wrong with just a smooth concrete floor ? It beats a rock or dirt floor. :shruggy:

What's wrong with a Chevette? It beats a horse and buggy or bicycle.  :shruggy: j/k ;)
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

ACUDANUT

Sorry, I don't get it. :Twocents:

Aero426

Seal the concrete and be done with it.    You could even stain it if you want a nicer look.   I'd do either of those before I'd lay down a consumer grade epoxy paint product.  

twodko

It's just about a nice clean looking garage/shop. Easier to keep clean, looks good and adds a spot of value to the space. We make these cars look beautiful again, kind of deserving considering all the work we put into them.  If you have the time and cash why not? :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

elacruze

Quote from: Aero426 on November 21, 2011, 08:27:16 PM
Seal the concrete and be done with it.    You could even stain it if you want a nicer look.   I'd do either of those before I'd lay down a consumer grade epoxy paint product.  

Why qualify that with 'consumer grade'?

I don't usually cheap out if there is a better product, particularly with something I have to live with forever.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

elacruze

Quote from: ACUDANUT on November 21, 2011, 08:08:47 PM
Sorry, I don't get it. :Twocents:

Smooth concrete is nice-for a while. Even if you maintain and clean it, eventually it looks like crap and then you can't put a coating on  it due to contamination.

Why have plain when you can have something that looks nice and cleans easily?
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

meepmeep70

by no means expert,but isn't there a certain amount of time needed that the concrete is putting out moisture,so you have to wait to coat/seal? just putting it out there :Twocents:

Darkman

Ideally you would like to give concrete 28 days to cure fully
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!