News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Protecting your charger... What do you do?

Started by MoparMotel, November 16, 2011, 01:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

After reading this thread, I'm kinda curious about the LoJack.
If you store your car with the battery disconnected, as most classic car owners do, won't that have an effect on LoJack??  :shruggy:  I mean, it has to give off a signal somehow, so if the car is disabled by disconnecting the battery (or in some cases removing it entirely), will it still do any good??  :scratchchin:   Where does it get it's power from?
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

472 R/T SE

From LoJack's website.  They also recommended a trickle charger.  I can't remember if that was for the motorcycle batty though?

"Does my car need to be running for LoJack to work?
No. The LoJack Unit constantly draws a very small amount of power from your vehicle's battery. Should your battery be disconnected, LoJack's backup battery will provide power."

"How much power does LoJack drain from my battery?
One milliamp on average."

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Back N Black on November 16, 2011, 08:03:16 PM
My Charger is parked in the garage with the keys in the ignition and garage unlocked most of the time.  :scratchchin:
Can I get your address?  :icon_smile_big:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

bill440rt

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on November 17, 2011, 01:23:43 AM
From LoJack's website.  They also recommended a trickle charger.  I can't remember if that was for the motorcycle batty though?

"Does my car need to be running for LoJack to work?
No. The LoJack Unit constantly draws a very small amount of power from your vehicle's battery. Should your battery be disconnected, LoJack's backup battery will provide power."

"How much power does LoJack drain from my battery?
One milliamp on average."

Interesting!
I wonder how long their backup battery lasts? Such as in long-term storage, like over the winter.  :scratchchin:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

mpdlawdog

Quote from: skip68 on November 16, 2011, 09:38:32 AM
I have mine inside locked garage, battery disconnect, hidden kill switch to MSD and outside security cameras.   Short of sleeping in the car that as good as it gets.  
no skip this is as good as it gets....my cruiser parks in front of the garage...Khan sleeps next to the car and Buck keeps and eye on her too  ;D....my wife and I work different shifts and she is meaner that both of them so i dont worry about it too much!

Lojack is great but most agencies dont have the technology to follow the car or find it......it is mostly the larger cities :Twocents:....if I am not mistaken Lojack has to provide the equipment to the agency to use :shruggy:
"Life is Tough...It's even tougher when you are stupid"  -John Wayne-

skip68

Nice!   But check out my guard dog.   :icon_smile_big:   

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

skip68

Honestly, if just having a k-9 unit in your driveway isn't enough you've got trouble.   That would be in a world's dumbest criminals episode.   So, some jerky for the dog, tuna for the cat and I'm in.   :icon_smile_cool:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Aero426

Another car in front of the garage door doesn't hurt either.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: mpdlawdog on November 17, 2011, 10:26:55 AM
Lojack is great but most agencies dont have the technology to follow the car or find it......it is mostly the larger cities :Twocents:....

Absolutely! We have at least one patrol car per district in my county w/ the lojack equipment. You can tell those cars, as they have extra antennas on their roof... Anyways, out in BFE, *maybe* the state troopers *might* have the system...

moparstuart

Quote from: Back N Black on November 16, 2011, 08:03:16 PM
My Charger is parked in the garage with the keys in the ignition and garage unlocked most of the time.  :scratchchin:
what is your address    :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

ChgrSteve67

I have Lojack installed in my Charger with the early warning recovery system.

The battery will last for about 4 years.
I have the system tested every two years.

It won't stop them from steeling it but definately increases my chances of getting the car back.

There are also other systems on the market that are GPS based to help you track and locate your car but they have issues if your car is placed into a garage or shipping container.

The Lojack will transmit through container walls.
If you not sure about the coverage in your area or if the local police can find a car installed with Lojack call them. Also some insurance companies will give you a lower rate with a Lojack installed. I have Hagerty Insurance and they do not offer a discount.

-Steve

Bob T

I had a 4" x 4" x 1/4 steel box section piece dynabolted to the floor and chained over the axle when I had my old race boat, got a 1/2'' stainless U bolt chemset into the concrete under the roller door edge with padlock through it, just adds too much time and noise to a thiefs day if they have to cut it off.
Also hidden disconnects but likely will be putting an alarm in soon as well .Its insured but thats not the point

There is also a version of lo-jack or similar available here , monitoring is $40/month or something , quite expensive
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

MoparMotel

1968 Dodge Charger

UH60L

A good friend of mine works for a local company doing electrical/audio visual installations in cars.  One of the first things I did after getting my '69 charger was have him install an alarm system with keyless entry, to include a hood pin.

Even in this day and age, there are people who will walk up to someone else's car and pop the hood to "see what's under there".  As soon as someone does that to my car, the alarm goes off and scares the pediddly out of them (and me too, the first time I forgot about it and popped the hood!  :-)    ).

Second thing I did was clean out my garage and start parking it inside.  My wife's car (the family sedan) started parking outside on a permanent basis.

Third thing was to get good full coverage insurance.  Some places are better than others about old cars.  When I got my car it was not in great shape, definitely not even closed to "restored".  I walked into my State Farm agent's office and told him I wanted to insure it for at least $10,000.00, and he said "no problem" without even looking at the car.

I've heard the lojack thing works well, but have not tried it.  Some car alarm systems incorporate a kill switch like so you can stop the car as soon as it goes a certain distance, unless you have flipped a switch or entered a code before starting to drive.

I've tried to park waaaayyy out in the south 40 of any parking lot, and started just parking across two spots so people would not "door ding" me.  We recenty got a brand new car as our daily driver.  Two days later it got door dinged in the parking lot of Home Depot!!!!  ($75.00 worth of paintless dent repair...)  No matter where you park, people still flock to your car and park all around it.  You could be the only car in a 100 yard radious and when you come out you'll be surrounded by looky-loos that just had to park next to you.

The only way to avoid that is to not drive the car, and that defeats the purpose of owning one in my opinion. 

Dino

Quote from: UH60L on November 17, 2011, 02:00:13 PM
A good friend of mine works for a local company doing electrical/audio visual installations in cars.  One of the first things I did after getting my '69 charger was have him install an alarm system with keyless entry, to include a hood pin.

Even in this day and age, there are people who will walk up to someone else's car and pop the hood to "see what's under there".  As soon as someone does that to my car, the alarm goes off and scares the pediddly out of them (and me too, the first time I forgot about it and popped the hood!  :-)    ).

Second thing I did was clean out my garage and start parking it inside.  My wife's car (the family sedan) started parking outside on a permanent basis.

Third thing was to get good full coverage insurance.  Some places are better than others about old cars.  When I got my car it was not in great shape, definitely not even closed to "restored".  I walked into my State Farm agent's office and told him I wanted to insure it for at least $10,000.00, and he said "no problem" without even looking at the car.

I've heard the lojack thing works well, but have not tried it.  Some car alarm systems incorporate a kill switch like so you can stop the car as soon as it goes a certain distance, unless you have flipped a switch or entered a code before starting to drive.

I've tried to park waaaayyy out in the south 40 of any parking lot, and started just parking across two spots so people would not "door ding" me.  We recenty got a brand new car as our daily driver.  Two days later it got door dinged in the parking lot of Home Depot!!!!  ($75.00 worth of paintless dent repair...)  No matter where you park, people still flock to your car and park all around it.  You could be the only car in a 100 yard radious and when you come out you'll be surrounded by looky-loos that just had to park next to you.

The only way to avoid that is to not drive the car, and that defeats the purpose of owning one in my opinion. 

Even when you park it at home where it supposed to be safe it can still be destroyed and reduced to rubble.  I'll take my chances out there.

I don't look for the most narrow spot onthe lot but I will park in the first available space as if I were driving anything else.  If I can park on a corner spot then I'll park as far away as possible from the car next to me.

I also do a quick check to see if it's a 4 door or 2 door (long doors).  If I see a soccer ball decal on the back I tend to look for another spot, out of the 7 kids climbing in there one of them is bound to hit my car.

If I park way out there it's the same as with everyone else, you come back to find a car right next to it, sometimes scary close.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

hemi o

Locked workshop,alarmed,two pigdogs,one lab,one boxer,gun cabinet ful of guns,no exit country road. :icon_smile_big:

mpdlawdog

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on November 17, 2011, 11:27:59 AM
Quote from: mpdlawdog on November 17, 2011, 10:26:55 AM
Lojack is great but most agencies dont have the technology to follow the car or find it......it is mostly the larger cities :Twocents:....

Absolutely! We have at least one patrol car per district in my county w/ the lojack equipment. You can tell those cars, as they have extra antennas on their roof... Anyways, out in BFE, *maybe* the state troopers *might* have the system...

I am assuming you live out west where autotheft is "more" of a problem. I talked to a bunch of other agencies around me. Only two out of about 20 agencies in central Ohio have it and I'm guessing it's only a few cars. I called lojack to find out how an agency can get the devices to find a stolen car.  I have not heard back from them yet.

"Life is Tough...It's even tougher when you are stupid"  -John Wayne-

472 R/T SE

We, or should I say "I" wanted a Golden forever.  My wife was worried that they were too timid/friendly for protecting the house so I went to the State Kennel Pen & waited for the next ex-con dog to be released.

The neighborhood kids go across the street when they walk by our house.  

For some reason I can't get him to quit waggin' his tail when someone's at the door.

68X426

In the spirit of that bad flick "Snakes on a Plane" .....

why not plant a snake in your Mopar. Sort of like this .....

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Fred

Someone might break in just to steal the snake!

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

68blue

Car is still missing a lot of pieces, probably need to think about security in the near future. Have padlocks in the garage door rails now.

PA Dodger

My coworker had his '70 Challenger stolen. They never found it. If someone wants your car they're going to know when you leave for work and if anyone else is home. Thats what happened to him. It doesn't matter what gun you have if you're not there to catch them. Also, as 472 RTSE said, a good thief with a flatbed needs very little time. At that point he has all the time in the world to figure out your kill switch/coil wire tricks back at his place. I think anything that makes the car immobile is better than stuff that makes not able to start. Park another car in front of the garage door, padlock the garage door track etc...   

I know insurance covers the vehicle if it's stolen. But what it doesn't cover is all the blood, sweat, and tears you put into a car to make it "yours". :Twocents:   
'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

TK73

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

aussiemuscle

Quote from: Cooter on November 16, 2011, 06:50:26 AM
I've found that the best way to try and keep a car thief from stealing your ride is not to buy one. But, aside from that, I like hidden kill switches.

These can make it much harder for thieves to simply drive off. Most times, especially in a city, if they have to push it, they will leave it.
That's what the flatbed is for. i'd imagine a lot of chargers would be stolen to order nowadays.

on another forum i read a story of how they got into the house, stole the keys, got the car out of the garage and wheeled it out, all while the owners were sleeping.  :eek2:

fwiw, mine has a cheap gps tracker hidden inside. i can get it's position sms to my mobile phone.

GordonGriggs

Put padlocks on each track for the Main garage door. This way they will have to cut the padlocks before the garage door will open. Most door tracks already have extra holes that are perfect for a padlock. Here is a video showing locks in tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z01o0SVt8OM