News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

High Scool Charger Rebuild

Started by Hudson Hornet !, November 10, 2011, 10:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hudson Hornet !

I am a bodyshop teacher at the Venango Tech Center in Oil City Pa, and a while back my students started tearing into my charger to restore it. I have a teaser pic for you now as it sits, but I will post more pictures if there is interest. I'm trying to get these kids away from ricers and show them what they can do if they put their mind to something.

Hopefully the pic will load, and if there is interest, I have aout a billion more I can post!  Thanks, Darrin Burt
You've never heard of a Hudson hornet ? !

Darkman

Are we interested??

Is a duck's butt water tight??

Post em up!
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

djcarguy

great start and love to see more pic of your 68 being saved and new again

67440chrg

Looks like a great start. It is a good thing you are doing for the kids. It will work out good for you when it is done and you can drive it home. More pictures will be great.

DC_1

Hudson Hornet !

Okay guys, here is the whole story. I bought the car when I was 16 in 1998. I sold everything but my dog to afford it. :2thumbs:

I fixed the car up on a high schooler's budget, and drove it around for years. Fast forward to 2010- I am now a shop teacher, and the only thing on my mind is doing the car right, so here we are!  The car is a 1968, with a 383 and a 4 speed, with 3.55 gears in the back. Tic-toc-tach, 26" radiator, big brakes, power steering, and not much else. Yep, I painted it in 1998 as the General lee, and when the car is done it will be staying that way. :coolgleamA: I have WAAAAAYYYYY too many good memories driving this car to school to change it now. Besides, the car now kind of has a pedigree which I will get into later on in the thread. Let's just say it has had it's fair share of time on t.v.  

Anyways, Here is the story told in pictures, and I will try to post some each day.

By the way, I know it's a 68, but as we go you will see the mods we did to paralell the 68's on the show.

The first post is a picture from 1999, I painted this car outside in my driveway, and I also painted the numbers and flag.  

Hudson Hornet !

Dirt tracking it at Tri City Speedway in 1999. Fuzzy pic, but one of my favorites!

Hudson Hornet !

Starting to take her apart

Hudson Hornet !

Hudson Hornet !

One more for tonight.

Hudson Hornet !

As we dug into the car, we found more and more sin from a past life.  Some of the pictures are pretty scary!  I would like to say that with the help of this site and it's members, we have gone far!  I will post more pics tomorrow and you will see what these students did. My class size usually sits around 25 students per session, with 2 sessions per day.  By the way, thanks for the support!! :cheers:

Memphis Mopar

Awesome story so far. I  only wish that we had a class like this when I was in highschool.

Tilar

Looks like the kids are having a great time!   :2thumbs:  That looks like it would be a fun class to teach.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

bobs66440

That's very cool. Win/win! We didn't have anything like that. I'm sure this experience will have an impact and a few will become Mopar fans!

tan top

Quote from: Hudson Hornet ! on November 10, 2011, 10:34:59 PM
Okay guys, here is the whole story. I bought the car when I was 16 in 1998. I sold everything but my dog to afford it. :2thumbs:

I fixed the car up on a high schooler's budget, and drove it around for years. Fast forward to 2010- I am now a shop teacher, and the only thing on my mind is doing the car right, so here we are!  The car is a 1968, with a 383 and a 4 speed, with 3.55 gears in the back. Tic-toc-tach, 26" radiator, big brakes, power steering, and not much else. Yep, I painted it in 1998 as the General lee, and when the car is done it will be staying that way. :coolgleamA: I have WAAAAAYYYYY too many good memories driving this car to school to change it now. Besides, the car now kind of has a pedigree which I will get into later on in the thread. Let's just say it has had it's fair share of time on t.v.  

Anyways, Here is the story told in pictures, and I will try to post some each day.

By the way, I know it's a 68, but as we go you will see the mods we did to paralell the 68's on the show.

The first post is a picture from 1999, I painted this car outside in my driveway, and I also painted the numbers and flag.  

good stuff !! HH keep the pictures coming :yesnod:  is it an original 383 4 speed car ?? :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Hudson Hornet !

Thank you guys for all the support :cheers:  The car is an original 383 4-speed car, and of course I didn't realize it was kind of rare til I joined the site.  When I get back from work today, I will post more pics of our journey. I just can't stand the fact that alot of people have given up on today's youth.  Give 'em a chance, they can surprise you!!

bakerhillpins

MORE!!!  As others have said, more pics is always encouraged.  :cheers:   We were fortunate enough to have many shop classes available where I went to school but the power shop only dealt with engine/mechanical basics. (lawnmowers). Would have loved to have this available.

If you have a fender tag post it up! It's always great to see them.  :2thumbs:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

BananaDan

Yes, more more more please!   :popcrn:
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

Ryan

Very cool!

Question, how is the quality of the AMD doors and fenders?
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

Hudson Hornet !

The amd stuff is pretty nice!!   The fenders have the correct shape and contours, although my rf fender was not stamped for a antenna. The doors are also very nice, requiring only some slight clearancing at the top by the a pillar.   The quarters are from classic body designs and are also very nice, but I don't t hin they are in business anymore.   The only thing I have not liked about AMD is their chrome bumpers, The chrome was not up to the price tag on the set I got.

projectanimal

GREAT story and pictures!   :cheers:   My wife and I have discussed finding a local Tech school/high school to do our respray, but not sure if that will happen.  would be great to give some students time with a true classic!!  :2thumbs: 
as with everyone else, I look forward to your continued story and MORE pictures!!!  :coolgleamA: :popcrn: :drool5:

Cheers!
northwest CT

D13vyl

Hi there mate

I admire your dedication and it touches me slightly to see these kids getting interested in the muscle car of old. Its a great thing you are doing, and im with you 100% its definately important to get them away from hondas and suberus etc lol, or as i like to call them tupperware cars i.e all plastic and computers.
Good luck with the build i look forward to see it shaping up,

all the very best

Rene :cheers: :popcrn:
Revelation 19:11 "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a BLACK CHARGER; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he does judge and make war."

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ryan

Quote from: Hudson Hornet ! on November 11, 2011, 11:56:53 AM
The amd stuff is pretty nice!!   The fenders have the correct shape and contours, although my rf fender was not stamped for a antenna. The doors are also very nice, requiring only some slight clearancing at the top by the a pillar.   The quarters are from classic body designs and are also very nice, but I don't t hin they are in business anymore.   The only thing I have not liked about AMD is their chrome bumpers, The chrome was not up to the price tag on the set I got.

Ya my bumpers were promptly returned to them. Good to hear on the fenders and doors.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

PocketThunder

Quote from: Darkman on November 10, 2011, 10:07:33 PM
Are we interested??

Is a duck's butt water tight??

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

i just spit my coffee all over my keyboard.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."