News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sometimes I Wish I Liked Mustangs!

Started by bobs66440, November 09, 2011, 09:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobs66440

Well, I do like some Mustangs but...I just got a Mustang resto catalog in the mail (I used to have a '70) and was amazed by the prices of almost everything in there compared to Mopar stuff!! I mean, I realize a lot is made in China or wherever, but geez! $65 for a PAIR of new interior door panels??!! PAIR??!! And $115 for a new front/rear bumper? Mine are $600! Each! New interior window crank is less than $10!!  Mustang exterior rear view mirror..$17.95. My car... $125.00! C'mon now! :o

You can practically build an entire car from that catalog for relative pennies!

That's my main gripe with the Mopar hobby. It just seems like we pay insane amounts of cash for the same stuff others are getting for mere dollars. I realize that Mustangs are relatively plentiful and there's a larger demand, but sheesh!

Rant over...

TK73

When I fist got the '08 GT I picked up some Mustang parts mags and was FLOORED  :o.  Everything you needed for every year '64.5 to '08 at the time.
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

HalfastJav

Yeah  makes me wish i coulda kept this one........  Far cheeper than Dodge and my damn AMC  :slap:

TK73

Yep...

Yet another car I should have bought from you when I had the chance...   :brickwall:
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

69bronzeT5

That's what I love about my 5.0Ls......cheap to fix and upgrade!!!
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Fred

My favourite Mustang is the 67 fastback (Bullitt) One day I might get one.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

greenpigs

I kick the idea of getting a 65-67 notchback around every now & then, with a 300 /6 with a manual 5 speed for a daily driver. Yeah I know they didn't come with that powertrain but it would be enough for putting back and forth to work and get OK gas mileage.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Dino

I wish I like chevy for the same reason, much cheaper.  Now a nice '69 Chevelle wouldn't look bad in the driveway though...

Mopar is pretty expensive compared to the other makes, but we do have the nicest cars on the block.  :D

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

68blue

I would like to build up a 69 Mustang Mach1 someday. Always thought they were the best looking of the lot.

Rolling_Thunder

Yep - my friend picked up a 65 - been working on swapping in a 5speed i gave him to replace the worn out 3 speed...    his has the 200 I6...   should make a nice driver. 

Gotta love the prices...    I recently thought about going to the dark side and scoped out a 67 Vert Lemans - but the thing was just way too rusty...     
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

RamZCharger

I have a '65 289 with a 5 speed that I just drove from Houston to Dallas.  At 70 mph she was turning only 2000 rpms.  This was the first time I have checked mpg and I got almost 21.  After 270 miles I still had a quarter tank of gas.

And yes, parts are amazingly priced compared to my 68 Charger  :eek2:.  But thank goodness for AMD nonetheless.

Lennard

I just got a pallet in full with sheetmetal for a '66 Fastback including two full quarterpanels from Ponyparts and the total was somewhere around $700 for everything. That's the price of one AMD Charger full quarter. :o

Troy

There were a lot more cars made and it seems like there was a lot crossover between models.

On a Mustang there may be as many as 3-4 manufacturers for any given part and the quality is all over the place. Most items have a "good-better-best" selection. You have to realize that some of the "cheap" parts are so cheap that they're nearly worthless! However, even the highest quality part is still generally cheaper than anything made for a Mopar. NOS parts are still available but I have found they there were several release dates - often with minor changes - through the years so even those aren't always "correct". Some parts still aren't available through the aftermarket for certain years/options - but that list is very short. Other than sheet metal, interior components are probably the biggest price difference from Mopars. I haven't found a set of bumpers that fits right yet. I got my Shaker (waiting to finish the motor before installation) and most sheet metal used. I bought as much NOS as I could. I think I'll still have about half as much in this car as any of my Mopars.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

chargerboy69

I have always liked your 70 Troy. . she is one sweet Mustang.  :2thumbs:
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Chatt69chgr

I ordered a spring to go inside the lower radiator hose to keep it from collapsing from Virginia Classic Mustangs.  I guess I'm now on their mailing list as I got a new catalog from them the other day.  I did the same thing as previously stated.  Went through the catalog looking at the prices of everything and comparing them to what I've paid for my resto parts for my 69 Charger.  Mustang parts are dirt cheap in comparison.  Now I wouldn't trade my 69 for a Mustang but I also like the 67 Mustang used in Bullitt as well as the 69 Mach 1.  Set those up with the new Coyote engine and you would have a real nice car.

bobs66440

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on November 10, 2011, 05:36:42 PM
Virginia Classic Mustangs.  I guess I'm now on their mailing list as I got a new catalog from them the other day. 
Right, me too.

This is the one I had. It was a coupe, but pretty nice nonetheless..

Cooter

Ok, C'mon now guys, Where's the "Buy American" people NOW?! Those parts for the mopars cost so much because they weren't made overseas for $2.00/Day labor. Chinese parts are complained about constantly, yet when it's time to pay the "American" price, it's too much compared to the Chinese Ford crap parts.

They have a "kit" out now to convert the coupes from '69-'70 to fastbacks, and it costs Wait for it.........$6000.00 and it's about 6 MAJOR pieces, the rest are about 10"X12" pieces. But, it's "American made"....Chinese would be around $1200.00 for the "kit"..Sure, it wouldn't fit worth a damn, but it's cheaper...

Anybody know why a Kellogg, or Callais (Spelling?) Stroker crank cost anywhere from $2000-$3500.00??, when an "Eagle" stroker "Kit" with everything from Crank to piston rings cost what? Like $2000.00.......Overseas gentlemen...Remember this next time you are looking through the Ford Mustang Chinese parts book...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Bobs69

Quote from: Fred on November 10, 2011, 03:07:28 AM
My favourite Mustang is the 67 fastback (Bullitt) One day I might get one.

I like them too.  However the new ones look enough like the old one for me.  That's why I'm glad the new Chargers are nothing like ours.

Fred

Quote from: Dino on November 10, 2011, 08:23:28 AM
I wish I like chevy for the same reason, much cheaper.  Now a nice '69 Chevelle wouldn't look bad in the driveway though...

Mopar is pretty expensive compared to the other makes, but we do have the nicest cars on the block.  :D

:2thumbs:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Patronus

Eh, I had 3. 68 Fastback, 68 Coupe, 64 1/2 hardtop..
The only one I could stomach now:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

HalfastJav

Uhh  you guys checked prices lately?  nuttins cheep no more cept cookie cutters.......

68r/t

Quote from: Cooter on November 10, 2011, 07:32:20 PM
Ok, C'mon now guys, Where's the "Buy American" people NOW?! Those parts for the mopars cost so much because they weren't made overseas for $2.00/Day labor. Chinese parts are complained about constantly, yet when it's time to pay the "American" price, it's too much compared to the Chinese Ford crap parts.

They have a "kit" out now to convert the coupes from '69-'70 to fastbacks, and it costs Wait for it.........$6000.00 and it's about 6 MAJOR pieces, the rest are about 10"X12" pieces. But, it's "American made"....Chinese would be around $1200.00 for the "kit"..Sure, it wouldn't fit worth a damn, but it's cheaper...

Anybody know why a Kellogg, or Callais (Spelling?) Stroker crank cost anywhere from $2000-$3500.00??, when an "Eagle" stroker "Kit" with everything from Crank to piston rings cost what? Like $2000.00.......Overseas gentlemen...Remember this next time you are looking through the Ford Mustang Chinese parts book...

So please tell which parts are Made in America for mopars,  when I,m looking through my Mopar parts book I,m sure 99% of it is made in China but we still get pumped up the backside for them, but it comes down to numbers  and there are  hell of alot more Mustangs and Camaros out there then Mopars.
I was just glad that the repo stuff was out there when I did my Charger even if I paid four times that of the brand x guys.
Man you sure do like to rant.

Cooter

Quote from: 68r/t on November 11, 2011, 06:06:58 AM

So please tell which parts are Made in America for mopars,  when I,m looking through my Mopar parts book I,m sure 99% of it is made in China but we still get pumped up the backside for them, but it comes down to numbers  and there are  hell of alot more Mustangs and Camaros out there then Mopars.
I was just glad that the repo stuff was out there when I did my Charger even if I paid four times that of the brand x guys.
I like to whoop ass too...What's your point?  Last time I checked AMD was a US company...Just tellin' the truth. You don't like it, then that's your problem, not mine...I call it like I see it...It sure is funny how a thread can be totally neg. if EVERYBODY agrees, yet let one come in positive, OR Vise Versa, and they are singled out because they don't agree with the rest. If you offered your own opinion instead of hopping the bandwagon, you might "Rant" as well, so be careful about having an original opinion....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

68r/t

Quote from: Cooter on November 11, 2011, 06:58:58 AM
Quote from: 68r/t on November 11, 2011, 06:06:58 AM

So please tell which parts are Made in America for mopars,  when I,m looking through my Mopar parts book I,m sure 99% of it is made in China but we still get pumped up the backside for them, but it comes down to numbers  and there are  hell of alot more Mustangs and Camaros out there then Mopars.
I like to whoop ass too...What's your point?  Last time I checked AMD was a US company...Just tellin' the truth. You don't like it, then that's your problem, not mine...I call it like I see it...It sure is funny how a thread can be totally neg. if EVERYBODY agrees, yet let one come in positive, OR Vise Versa, and they are singled out because they don't agree with the rest. If you offered your own opinion instead of hopping the bandwagon, you might "Rant" as well, so be careful about having an original opinion....
Where the heck do you think AMD panels are made?
My opinion stands  "your a whoop ass ranter"

Cooter

Quote from: 68r/t on November 11, 2011, 07:42:05 AM

Where the heck do you think AMD panels are made?
My opinion stands  "your a whoop ass ranter"

Tell you what 68r/t,  :fu: and have a nice day!