News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Race car tow vehicle

Started by spoolinhard, November 06, 2011, 06:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spoolinhard

This has been sitting for close to 20 years. Sold my powerwagon so I kept the 360 out of it and rebuilt it to put in this monstrosity! I've always had a soft spot for it. Ive saved it from going to the crusher at least twice.

on the edge of the field, the way it layed for a looooooong time

Pulled out and ready to be worked on

Interior after being gutted

360 getting rebuilt

assembled

spoolinhard

spoolinhard

Still a little ways to go before it is ready to fire up. I have yet to put the front of it back together since the engine has been installed. My first goal is to get it running and then roadworthy. The bodywork I will do overtime while I use it. I already have a pair of mint doors off of a newer van. The best part of this van is that the basic platform was used up until 2003, so there are alot of newer more modern parts that will interchange with it.

68coronetGLwannabe

Very cool! Glad you saved it from the crusher. I just saved a 68 Chevy van from the crusher myself. I have a couple semi trucks that haul shredded scrap steel almost every day and I see a lot of history get crushed. keep the progress pics coming  :2thumbs:
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

moparstuart

wow keep us updated , cool idea
:2thumbs:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

spoolinhard

Quote from: 68coronetGLwannabe on November 06, 2011, 06:49:50 PM
Very cool! Glad you saved it from the crusher. I just saved a 68 Chevy van from the crusher myself. I have a couple semi trucks that haul shredded scrap steel almost every day and I see a lot of history get crushed. keep the progress pics coming  :2thumbs:
Actually your thread is what inspired me to post this. I didn't think that there was any love for the vans :cheers:
We have a lineup of parts cars and have had scrappers haul iron out of there in the past. They have always salivated at the site of this vehicle :drool5:

spoolinhard

Ok, have a little bit more time to type.

The van is a 1975 wayne corporation Care-o-Van. Through all my research I have yet to find a picture of another. The only pictures I have found have come from the origional sales brochures. There is little to no info out there, and parts are non exitstent, except for the pieces that it has in common with a standard van. i have gotten in contact with a historian of old ambulances and I have a list of all the period correct sirens, lights speakers, beacon etc. They can all be obtained but it is going to be a bit of a treasure hunt.

My plans are to use it as is and panel by panel start doing bodywork. It was origionally white and orange, I am going to keep the current red scheme although I would like to paint it a brilliant red with thick white stripes down the sides. I would also like to track down and reinstall all the lights, thats one of the last things that I will do. I will also furnish it inside as to have a fold up phuton and a TV etc :laugh:

Like I said I have a pair of really nice doors for it, they have power locks and windows and I am going to wire those so that they function. I also have another drivers fender for it. I am still looking for another hood to replace the one thats on it. The problem is, is that without the sucker running there is no way that I can put the thing in my shop without causing it dammage. Any attempt to push it from behind will crush the back sheetmetal, so I am in a race against time before the snow flies! I am waiting on the heaterbox to get back from sandblasting. Once I get that back I can put the underhood and underdash areas back together. It shouldnt take too much to try and fire it up after that.

nvrbdn

this will be a cool project.  :cheers: are you doing a camper type interior, or shelving and tool boxes? :shruggy:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Todd Wilson

That thing is so ugly its cool!  Glad you saved it and are getting it back together and on the road! Keep us updated with pictures! Super Cool!

Todd

spoolinhard

Quote from: nvrbdn on November 06, 2011, 08:54:58 PM
this will be a cool project.  :cheers: are you doing a camper type interior, or shelving and tool boxes? :shruggy:

Probably closer to camper. The cot that is located in the rear actually folds up and there is storage space there that is also accessable from the outside via a compartment door. Thats probably where I will store my tools and jack.

elacruze

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Highbanked Hauler

Looks pretty clean as far as rust isn't it? You probably have 1 of 12 produced :2thumbs:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

nvrbdn

it seems to have tons of room. i thought one of these could have a bed down the wall that hinges and folds flat on the wall so stuff can be hauled and unloaded then the inside set up for the night.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

spoolinhard

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on November 09, 2011, 01:44:11 PM
Looks pretty clean as far as rust isn't it? You probably have 1 of 12 produced :2thumbs:

It does not have alot of rust, the body is pretty beat up though. Since there is no source for parts I will be straightening or fabricating alot of metal!! I wish I could find production numbers but the Wayne corporation tanked in the early 90's. There doesnt appear to be any source of info on them.

spoolinhard

Quote from: nvrbdn on November 09, 2011, 02:47:08 PM
it seems to have tons of room. i thought one of these could have a bed down the wall that hinges and folds flat on the wall so stuff can be hauled and unloaded then the inside set up for the night.

I was thinking along the lines of a phuton that folds from a couch into a bed. Pretty close to the same idea.