News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2 Superbirds from the woods in South Carolina

Started by gymratt30, October 30, 2011, 09:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gymratt30

Quote from: Arnie Cunningham on November 15, 2011, 12:21:02 PM
Great thread.  congratulations on your projects.  The interior shot shows two under dash indicator lights.  Is one for Deluxe seat belts?  You don't see that very often.
yes, you guys really pay attention to the details.  I had forgotten about the seat belt light... turns out, 4 1/2 years later, I had forgotten to mention to the restorer that it had one in there from the factory and so that detail was overlooked.  So, all I have now is the rear reverse back up light.

ps.  that air graber switch was hooked to nothing.  Maybe the original owner, at one time, owned an airgrabber car and robbed the switch on it.  Not real sure on that one.
"2 superbirds sittin side by side"

gymratt30

Quote from: 71_Charger_R/T on November 16, 2011, 12:48:54 PM
This thread is too cool! Great saga! And I like the way you are rolling it out. A lot of people "can't wait to see it done"  I am more interested in seeing pictures of the process than the finished product, so I hope you got lots of them. I like to see the final result too, but the journey is the better part of the story. Congratulations to you and your son, it pays to be polite and respectful of others even though you may sometimes want to "dope slap" them for their actions. Your patience and manners paid off in this case and it sounds like the previous owner turns out to be a nice guy that others considered a jerk for not being open to selling, but I guess I can understand to a point, being badgered continually and people always telling you they aren't worth that much.  I would have a hard time giving up my "children" to just anybody with a bunch of cash, I'd want to be sure they were going to a loving caring family and I would be the one making the decision when I was ready, not being forced into it. Again, congrats to you. I'm looking forward to...... "The rest of the story"

Thanks for sharing.

thank you 71rt.  you have a very good grasp on the owners feelings and seems like you understand that cash didn't matter to the old gentleman.  He was looking for someone that would truly revitalize the car without the idea of trying to make a dollar on them.

Bob T

Quote from: gymratt30 on November 16, 2011, 08:08:35 PM
Quote from: 71_Charger_R/T on November 16, 2011, 12:48:54 PM
This thread is too cool! Great saga! And I like the way you are rolling it out. A lot of people "can't wait to see it done"  I am more interested in seeing pictures of the process than the finished product, so I hope you got lots of them. I like to see the final result too, but the journey is the better part of the story. Congratulations to you and your son, it pays to be polite and respectful of others even though you may sometimes want to "dope slap" them for their actions. Your patience and manners paid off in this case and it sounds like the previous owner turns out to be a nice guy that others considered a jerk for not being open to selling, but I guess I can understand to a point, being badgered continually and people always telling you they aren't worth that much.  I would have a hard time giving up my "children" to just anybody with a bunch of cash, I'd want to be sure they were going to a loving caring family and I would be the one making the decision when I was ready, not being forced into it. Again, congrats to you. I'm looking forward to...... "The rest of the story"

Thanks for sharing.

thank you 71rt.  you have a very good grasp on the owners feelings and seems like you understand that cash didn't matter to the old gentleman.  He was looking for someone that would truly revitalize the car without the idea of trying to make a dollar on them.

Exactly, and also for the fact the car s would live on and be enjoyed by a younger generation. Very cool . And, great pics, Thanks so much for putting up this story gymratt30.

A few years ago I sold a car to the grandson of the original owner who had'nt seen it for 26 years. He just approached me out of the blue.
He was in his thirties and had a lot of childhood memories of being driven around in it, holidays etc- beach, towing the caravan etc  and it was also his Mothers wedding day car when her Father took her to the Church. I didnt really want to sell it, but the guy had the most valid reason on the planet for owning it and he met my price.
He told me later  when he got it home his Mother just burst into tears and could'nt believe the old car had come back into the Family again after that long , and all restored and with triple carbs.. .  Bit of a feel good situation all round.
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

gymratt30

before I go into the red birds resto... im gonna post som of the white car's interior shots.. ( as I stated, it still looks "as Is" today in our shop) ...figured id keep a timeline on the way the story goes....so heres a few random shots of the white car as pulled into the shop.

gymratt30

more

gymratt30

gymratt30

gymratt30

gymratt30

gymratt30

more

gymratt30

more

gymratt30

gymratt30

gymratt30

the sixpack set up was given to me by the owner...( it was not used in the resto)
... hemi...hemi...hemi

gymratt30

more

gymratt30

gymratt30

gymratt30

gymratt30

last for today

gymratt30

hemi68charger

Wow Mike..
Looks like you have your work cut out for you, or had your work cut out for you... That's awesome you and your son are able to save another "Set" of birds... You have Superbird bookends now......  :)

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

gymratt30

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 17, 2011, 08:29:14 AM
Wow Mike..
Looks like you have your work cut out for you, or had your work cut out for you... That's awesome you and your son are able to save another "Set" of birds... You have Superbird bookends now......  :)

Troy
Thanks Troy, yep.. one down.... one to go.... white one will be a slow process..... But will be worth while in the end.
Just waiting on that new "SUPERBIRD BAILOUT PROGRAM" that congress is working on....LOL

gymratt30

oh yea... found this pic also... check out the S.C / N.C road map.    ( Shelby mustang on the cover)

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Arnie Cunningham

Did you find a build sheet for the red car?  I see an amfm in there as well.  Any other odd options?
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.