News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1966 Dodge charger headlight problem

Started by charg123, October 26, 2011, 09:32:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charg123

Hello I have just finished restoring my 1966 dodge charger I rewired the whole car except for the dash because the wiring there was good. the problem i have is after finishing the car up I have no headlights taillights dash lights i do have turn signals.All of these did work befire the car was stripped for restore. My thought is that i poassibly have something wired wrong on the instrument panel. my question is does anyone know if the instrument panel wires have anything to do with the lights?? Thanks in advance for your help..

charg123

Something that i left out when i turn the lights on the ammeter goes crazy but fine with lights off.

68neverlate

Does the ammeter needle get pinned?  What exactly is it doing?  Are you turning the lights on when the engine is running or when it's off? 

I have a '68 so not sure about the wiring on a '66, but from what you've described so far, it's sure sounding like some sort of short that could be caused by incorrect wiring or other...   

charg123

The needle just jumps around when the lights switsh is turned on. The flashers and the turn signals work fine and when the flashers are turned on the ammeter gauge works fine. I cant find it in the manual but i am starting to wonder if the wires on the instrument panel need to all be hooked up to complete the circuit for the lights to work??

A383Wing

only the 2 large ones for the ammeter need to be connected for the headlights to work....if dash is out, just use a nut & bolt to connect them together and then it will be easier to trouble shoot the system

I got a pair of 66 Chargers....I can do the wiring in my sleep....

Bryan