News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

just football talk, College or NFL

Started by Budnicks, October 23, 2011, 06:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Budnicks

Quote from: Dans 68 on November 01, 2011, 10:50:28 AM
Been a 49'ers fan my whole life, through the bad and good. It has been a good year to follow them as their game, on all three sides of the ball ( :scratchchin:), is just solid. I have not been to any Stanford games as it gets crazy up in Palo Alto, but they are my local College team to follow, with my alma mater the Cal Poly Mustangs a distant 2nd.

Dan
Being born & raise in the east bay area of California, Concord for most of my youth, my family went to many games at, Frank Yuell field {original place the Raiders played}, Keazar Stadium {spelling?}, Oakland Coliseum, Candlestick Park, Memorial Stadium/Strawberry Field, The Farm for Stanford games can be a hassle sometimes with traffic & all the student stuff going on, my younger brother Mark went to Stanford after his stint in the Navy 84-87 , I attended a few of their games while he was going there, he didn't play any sports, but I'm a University of Oregon Ducks alumni 78-81, I wanted to go to USC but didn't have that choice, so we had our rivalry, my Pops would side with him he's a long time Niners & Stanford guy, I'm a Raiders & UO Ducks guy so it's interesting at holidays for sure around the table, my Aunt went to Cal Berkley, there are a mess of both sides in our family, the perfect Super Bowl would be Raider's vs Niner's, the perfect National Championship would be the Stanford Cardinals vs Oregon Ducks....
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

jaak

Anyone have any thoughts about the #1 and #2 match up this weekend....LSU v. Alabama?

I know most talking heads on the radio are giving LSU the edge (even though Bama is a 4.5 favorite right now), but I really think Bama can win. Scoring Offence Bama is ranked 1 with 39.4 ppg (using SEC rankings 1 thru 12) and LSU is second with 39.2, thats about a dead even match. In total offence Bama ranks 1 with 457.6 ypg and LSU ranks 6 with 372.1, Edge goes to Bama. Pass eff. LSU is ranked 1 with the Tide ranked 4th. Alabama's rush defense ranks # 1 also with 44.9 ypg with LSU second with 76.6 ypg. In passing defense Alabama ranks #1 again with 135.6 ypg with LSU giving up 174.8.

Now LSU ranks higher in sacks, and has better numbers in some of the special team stats. And I can admit LSU has had a tougher road schedule compared to Bama's (Bama tougher games are on the road in even years). But this should be a game of the ages....I think its bigger than the Florida #1 v. Alabama #2 SEC Championship game of 2009.

I have been watching Bama since I was a kid, and really started keeping up with stats, etc, when I was in my teens. I think when it comes to conditioning and discipline, this is the best Bama team I've seen.

All that said, (and I know I may be wearing my 'crimson colored') I can see Bama winning by 2 scores, 10-14 points.
***Hope I don't have to eat crow Sunday morning***

Jason

Budnicks

My vote is for Alabama "Role Tide", just because I don't care for LSU head coach Les Miles, I think he's a typical, "win at all cost & damn the rules type of coach" , At least Alabama is a clean program... I'm more of a PAC-12 fan {a geographical thing} not really a SEC or Big 10 fan {I know, even if the SEC have won the National Championships a lot lately}, recruiting violations,  buying players {Cam Newton "former" best college player money could buy} all the SEC teams seem to get, is a slap on the wrist from NCAA, 1 or 2 games sit a player or 2, take a scholarship away here & there, then the kid just transfers to a different school with no penalties, look at all the scandals that seem to happen in the SEC, the PAC-12 gets "years of punishment" look at USC sanctions, stripped of a National Championship, Reggie stripped of the Heisman or was going to be anyway before he gave it back, 3 years no bowls & no chance at a championship, a bunch of scholarships taken away, for a house discount by an program supporter "private owner" not associated with the school, for Reggie Bush's family to stay near the school... What's worse? to buy a player for $180K, then giving the guy a Heisman trophy, or a discount on housing for a players family, NCAA & BCS "what a joke"... "OK I got that off my chest"... "SORRY FOR THAT RANT"...    I got off subject kind of, I feel better now.... I do watch all the games, that are nationally televised here, I don't care for LSU much, but that's a personal thing more than a team thing, I like the history of Alabama & the tradition... I'm not up on the stats for either team really...   "Go Bama, Role Tide"

Ponch ®

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

nvrbdn

i was a big tebow fan when he was in illinois. did a great job. i hope he does well, but will need more protection. plus a team thats not denver :smilielol:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Budnicks

Quote from: nvrbdn on November 02, 2011, 09:40:34 PM
i was a big tebow fan when he was in illinois. did a great job. i hope he does well, but will need more protection. plus a team thats not denver :smilielol:
Tim Tebow was at Florida, under Urban Meyers {spelling?}as the head coach, he was a class act there, "not too good" in the NFL though, it goes to show you that Heisman trophy guys & 1st round draft picks aren't always going to be "all that" in the NFL, were all the players have some talent & speed, not just a few players...

Budnicks

Quote from: Ponch ® on November 02, 2011, 03:11:33 PM
Anyone following the " ___ > Tebow" revolution?  :lol:

Started on ESPN.Com a couple of days ago...

http://deadspin.com/5855575/how-contempt-for-tim-tebow-caused-an-espncom-commenter-revolution
The fans were clammering to have Tim Tebow play, they got what they wanted, now there complaining... He was a stand up guy in college at Florida, but that doesn't meen shit in the NFL...

nvrbdn

oops, must be that concussion acting up again. :brickwall:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Budnicks

jaak

Quote from: Budnicks on November 02, 2011, 02:19:03 PM
My vote is for Alabama "Role Tide", just because I don't care for LSU head coach Les Miles, I think he's a typical, "win at all cost & damn the rules type of coach" , At least Alabama is a clean program... I'm more of a PAC-12 fan {a geographical thing} not really a SEC or Big 10 fan {I know, even if the SEC have won the National Championships a lot lately}, recruiting violations,  buying players {Cam Newton "former" best college player money could buy} all the SEC teams seem to get, is a slap on the wrist from NCAA, 1 or 2 games sit a player or 2, take a scholarship away here & there, then the kid just transfers to a different school with no penalties, look at all the scandals that seem to happen in the SEC, the PAC-12 gets "years of punishment" look at USC sanctions, stripped of a National Championship, Reggie stripped of the Heisman or was going to be anyway before he gave it back, 3 years no bowls & no chance at a championship, a bunch of scholarships taken away, for a house discount by an program supporter "private owner" not associated with the school, for Reggie Bush's family to stay near the school... What's worse? to buy a player for $180K, then giving the guy a Heisman trophy, or a discount on housing for a players family, NCAA & BCS "what a joke"... "OK I got that off my chest"... "SORRY FOR THAT RANT"...    I got off subject kind of, I feel better now.... I do watch all the games, that are nationally televised here, I don't care for LSU much, but that's a personal thing more than a team thing, I like the history of Alabama & the tradition... I'm not up on the stats for either team really...   "Go Bama, Role Tide"

Yeah I know a lot of folks think the all SEC teams get away with everything.....Scam Newton 'investigation' was a joke. But I will say the NCAA has always had Bama in their sights. The Albert Means case (to refresh everyone's memory) Was when a rouge booster (Logan Young) allegedly paid Means high school coach (Lynn Lange) 200k to pursuade him to go to Alabama. No 'proof' was ever found (and I'm not saying it didn't happen, probably did), but IIRC the money trail was never found. The NCAA dropped the hammer on Bama, 2 year post season ban, 5 years probation, and (I forgot the actual number) scholorship reductions. I think the scholorship reductions hurt more than anything else (see Shula years), but I still rooted for them and watched them get there ass beat those years. Then came the 'textbook' scandle which I think was a crock of shit that tacked on 2 more years of probation.
Couldn't agree with you more on the NCAA and BCS statement though....both organizations are a joke! I like watching all the conferences to, infact last January, you couldn't find a bigger Ducks fan than me...I wanted then to thump Auburn.

But back to the main topic.....Even  though Im getting a little nervous (man I actually get butterflies like Im playing in the damn game, last time I felt like this was in the 2009 SECCG when #1 Florida and # 2 Bama played), I still stand by my previous prediction....TIDE ROLLS!!!

Jason

Budnicks

Quote from: jaak on November 04, 2011, 10:57:35 PM
Quote from: Budnicks on November 02, 2011, 02:19:03 PM

Yeah I know a lot of folks think the all SEC teams get away with everything.....Scam Newton 'investigation' was a joke. But I will say the NCAA has always had Bama in their sights. The Albert Means case (to refresh everyone's memory) Was when a rouge booster (Logan Young) allegedly paid Means high school coach (Lynn Lange) 200k to pursuade him to go to Alabama. No 'proof' was ever found (and I'm not saying it didn't happen, probably did), but IIRC the money trail was never found. The NCAA dropped the hammer on Bama, 2 year post season ban, 5 years probation, and (I forgot the actual number) scholorship reductions. I think the scholorship reductions hurt more than anything else (see Shula years), but I still rooted for them and watched them get there ass beat those years. Then came the 'textbook' scandle which I think was a crock of shit that tacked on 2 more years of probation.
Couldn't agree with you more on the NCAA and BCS statement though....both organizations are a joke! I like watching all the conferences to, infact last January, you couldn't find a bigger Ducks fan than me...I wanted then to thump Auburn.

But back to the main topic.....Even  though Im getting a little nervous (man I actually get butterflies like Im playing in the damn game, last time I felt like this was in the 2009 SECCG when #1 Florida and # 2 Bama played), I still stand by my previous prediction....TIDE ROLLS!!!

Jason
I love all the hype about college football, it's almost like having a Super Bowl almost every week, with all the ra ra rivalry stuff going on all the time.... Butterflies, ha ha..   I know me too, like I was going to play or something or maybe too much coffee...LOL....   I can't wait the LSU/Bama game is on a 5:00pm here, the Ducks, UO/Washington game doesn't start till 7:30pm, so I will be watching the bulk of the LSU/Bama game for sure...  I too wish the Ducks would have thumped the Auburn Tigers, not just because I'm an ex Duck & {I like your name for him} "Scam Newton", he got away with a bunch of cheating crap, even before those accusations came out, I really hated the guy, I can't really say that about to many football people, I was "absolutely livid" when he won the Heisman "what a feaken joke that award has become, absolutely no integrity, any longer"....   I too remember all the crap around the Albert Means deal...  Back to watching Stanford beat the crap out of Oregon SU "for now", OSU plays tough at home....

jaak

Quote from: jaak on November 01, 2011, 08:35:03 PM

All that said, (and I know I may be wearing my 'crimson colored') I can see Bama winning by 2 scores, 10-14 points.

Jason

YUCK...crow taste like shit! Hard fought game though, with plenty of missed opportunities.
Roll Tide,

Jason

41husk

If you are a football fan, last night provided some great action.  I kept going back and fourth between Bama, LSU and Okie St, Kansas :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Budnicks

Quote from: 41husk on November 06, 2011, 11:03:58 AM
If you are a football fan, last night provided some great action.  I kept going back and fourth between Bama, LSU and Okie St, Kansas :cheers:
It was a great game too bad Bama missed those filed goals, noway did I think it would be a 6-9 score... Great defensive game... Ducks kicked butt on the Huskies, Stanford beet Oregon SU, so Sat. wasn't a total wash.... Hope the Raiders complete my weekend with a win over Denver now.....

Budnicks

Quote from: jaak on November 05, 2011, 11:30:21 PM
Quote from: jaak on November 01, 2011, 08:35:03 PM

Jason

YUCK...crow taste like shit! Hard fought game though, with plenty of missed opportunities.
Roll Tide,

Jason
No Crow eating, Bama should have won, missed field goals did it to them, I think it was a great defensive game...

Budnicks

Freaken Raiders give up a 10 point lead, & loose by 14, with 24 unanswered second half points, to the lowly Bronco's... The Chargers go down fighting to the Packers, Rivers throwing 4 int's {oops I was corrected by another member it was only 3 INT's, 14 on the season, leagues worst...LOL..} & the Chiefs loose {sorry to the Chiefs fans} to the 0 & 7 Dolphins, who get their first win in the race for the 1st overall pick "SUCK FOR LUCK sweapstakes" with the  Colts right now & with the Colts also loosing, "What a shock", I guess some teams are destined to just suck this year, that's the NFL...  I did kind of enjoy seeing Tom Brady throw a few childish temper tantrums, when he messed up & the Patriots lost... I also enjoyed seeing Packers NorCal resident & former UC Berkley guy Arron Rogers, have yet another great game, against the Chargers, with help of his great defense {sorry for you Charger fans}... The Niner's are looking very good so far, we will see in the next couple of week against the Ravens in the game Jim & John Harbaugh brothers, coaching battle it out for family bragging rights....   At least My Oregon Duck's kicked Butt...

Budnicks

We all need to be civil... What's with all the bad attitude "hatter stuff" on someone Else's team, if you don't route for that team be respectful to the other person at least, you can't hardly make a comment about a team especially for a couple people here, all hell comes down, no tolerance at all for any criticism, I'm starting to get a bad impression of a couple of the people, not being able to keep it civil {so to speak} & be able to debate attributes of rival teams, it can all be civil, no need for the bashing hatter crap, you don't need to be demeaning to a person just because they don't route for the same team or just criticize your team for actions on the field, if you dish it out you need to be able to except the fact it will come back to you when you do that stuff, "so don't dish it out, if you can't take it" coming back at you... You know I played the game in many levels, from Pee-Wee to being paid to play, from 8-28, 1967-1987, in 1 form or another & our rivals weren't even as uncivil as some of these people, I don't get it, they don't have anything to do with the actual games, what's all the Bashing Hatter stuff about......  Rant over...   Just curious...

Budnicks

Eagles Just went down tonight to the Bears, 30 Bears/24 Eagles, sorry to all you Eagle & Vick fans, Congrats to the Bears fans...

Budnicks

Quote from: Ponch ® on November 02, 2011, 03:11:33 PM
Anyone following the " ___ > Tebow" revolution?  :lol:

Started on ESPN.Com a couple of days ago...

http://deadspin.com/5855575/how-contempt-for-tim-tebow-caused-an-espncom-commenter-revolution
Freaken Tebow beat us Sunday, too bad so sad, oh well, such is life, I did what I could from my Arm Chair Recliner...LOL...   Short week this week for game prep, Thursday Night Football, Raiders at Chargers, I can't wait both teams 4 & 4, & don't seem to like each other, it can have some real ramifications on the season & coaching even....

Budnicks

Thursday night football starts tonight, Raiders Vs Chargers both at 4 & 4 all tied along with the Chiefs, in the AFC west, I hope for a good game not a blow out, I will do what I can, from my ArmChairQB position...LOL... This is a make or break point for both teams, Raiders needing QB help, Carson Palmer needs to play a smart game, especially with rushing leader McFadden out with foot injuries, yet again, Palmer needs get plays off quicker, the team needs less "stupid penalties" especially the 15 yard personal foul type variety & get some key players back off the injured reserve... Rivers needs to have a good game with out too many INT's {league leading most 14 INT's}, he trows the ball 40-50 times a game it seems I'm not sure exactly how many times, but they will be a passing threat, Riaders defense need to step up tonight to have a half a chance in hell of beeting or at least keeping up with the Chargers... The Raiders are seemingly 2nd half chokers lately, both have decent defenses "when they play to their ability", Raiders special teams, except the kickers, are really bad, especially the punt & kick coverages, return teams are doing OK...  Raiders kicker Janakowski is favoring a hamstring injury, he was a big part of their scoring threat from the 45 yard line or closer...  San Diego has had quite a few injured players also, or player playing hurt even... I hope to see a good game, not too chippy, too many fights or stupid stuff on the field, or too many freaken penalties, Raiders are league leaders in that category yet again...  The 2 teams don't care for each other much, Norv Turner an ex Raider Head coach, loves to beat up on the Raiders, pretty much like every other coach in the AFC west...   I for 1 can't wait tell kick off tonight...   Good luck to all, hope for no injuries...

Budnicks

"Just win Baby"   It almost looked like there were almost as many Raiders fans at San Diego's Qualcom home field, "I was kind of shocked to see that"  Raiders 24 Chargers 17 Palmer 14 of 20 = 70%, for 299 yards & 1 pick, 1 fumble, he played way better, now going on only 20 something days with the team offense...  Rivers is in a "funk kind of" I think, with a dismal 23 of 47 passing = 48.9% with 1-INT, 6 sacks & 2 fumbles... The Raiders had a decent defense in the 1st half, they kind of fell off in the 2nd half...  Raiders had a decent ground game, with 191 total rushing yards, M. Bush had 30 carries for 157 of those yards, 5+ yard average...  Both teams lost more players to injuries, Raiders receiver J. Ford for the Raiders with an ankle injury early & multiple offensive line men on the Chargers, with various different injuries...  Raiders had 490 total yards, Chargers were 290ish total "I think"... Both teams can use the extra rest & get some players back from injuries, the couple of extra days will surely help...  Denver at K.C. this weekend, will determan whether or not there will be a 3 way tie for second  "if Denver wins" , all K.C. , Denver & San Diego would be 4 & 5 or  " if K.C wins "  it would be a tie at the top with the Raiders at 5 & 4 & Denver in last in the AFC west... I for 1 will be a Denver fan this weekend at least...  Sorry for all you Charger fans...

Ponch ®

Quote from: Budnicks on November 11, 2011, 01:09:32 PM
"Just win Baby"   It almost looked like there were almost as many Raiders fans at San Diego's Qualcom home field, "I was kind of shocked to see that"  Raiders 24 Chargers 17 Palmer 14 of 20 = 70%, for 299 yards & 1 pick, 1 fumble, he played way better, now going on only 20 something days with the team offense...  Rivers is in a "funk kind of" I think, with a dismal 23 of 47 passing = 48.9% with 1-INT, 6 sacks & 2 fumbles... The Raiders had a decent defense in the 1st half, they kind of fell off in the 2nd half...  Raiders had a decent ground game, with 191 total rushing yards, M. Bush had 30 carries for 157 of those yards, 5+ yard average...  Both teams lost more players to injuries, Raiders receiver J. Ford for the Raiders with an ankle injury early & multiple offensive line men on the Chargers, with various different injuries...  Raiders had 490 total yards, Chargers were 290ish total "I think"... Both teams can use the extra rest & get some players back from injuries, the couple of extra days will surely help...  Denver at K.C. this weekend, will determan whether or not there will be a 3 way tie for second  "if Denver wins" , all K.C. , Denver & San Diego would be 4 & 5 or  " if K.C wins "  it would be a tie at the top with the Raiders at 5 & 4 & Denver in last in the AFC west... I for 1 will be a Denver fan this weekend at least...  Sorry for all you Charger fans...

1st place baby! (at least til Sunday).

While I've made it clear that I have no love for the Chargirls, even I'm starting to wonder what the hell is wrong with them.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Budnicks

Quote from: Ponch ® on November 11, 2011, 01:34:14 PM
Quote from: Budnicks on November 11, 2011, 01:09:32 PM
"Just win Baby"   It almost looked like there were almost as many Raiders fans at San Diego's Qualcom home field, "I was kind of shocked to see that"  Raiders 24 Chargers 17 Palmer 14 of 20 = 70%, for 299 yards & 1 pick, 1 fumble, he played way better, now going on only 20 something days with the team offense...  Rivers is in a "funk kind of" I think, with a dismal 23 of 47 passing = 48.9% with 1-INT, 6 sacks & 2 fumbles... The Raiders had a decent defense in the 1st half, they kind of fell off in the 2nd half...  Raiders had a decent ground game, with 191 total rushing yards, M. Bush had 30 carries for 157 of those yards, 5+ yard average...  Both teams lost more players to injuries, Raiders receiver J. Ford for the Raiders with an ankle injury early & multiple offensive line men on the Chargers, with various different injuries...  Raiders had 490 total yards, Chargers were 290ish total "I think"... Both teams can use the extra rest & get some players back from injuries, the couple of extra days will surely help...  Denver at K.C. this weekend, will determan whether or not there will be a 3 way tie for second  "if Denver wins" , all K.C. , Denver & San Diego would be 4 & 5 or  " if K.C wins "  it would be a tie at the top with the Raiders at 5 & 4 & Denver in last in the AFC west... I for 1 will be a Denver fan this weekend at least...  Sorry for all you Charger fans...

1st place baby! (at least til Sunday).

While I've made it clear that I have no love for the Chargirls, even I'm starting to wonder what the hell is wrong with them.
It may be a real short celebration... But the RAIDERS are on top for now, I know that bites the Chiefs & Chargers "Raider Hatters" fans here, in the butt, oh well... I'm going to gloat a little, I will be more respectful than they were, I know what it feels like to have someone bashing my team when they are down, but, I have to say "Yee Haa", it's been a while...

Budnicks

Big game for Pac-12 north fans, the 1 loss Oregon-Ducks At undefeated Stanford-Cardinals this Sat. at 5pm Pacific, all the sports commentators are picking Stanford, I am still going to go with my Ducks, but they will need to play & score very quickly & at a very high level, to keep Stanford's defense on their heels to have any chance at the 1st ever Pac-12 Championship game...."GO__D U C K S" the only bad thing is if Stanford looses, {which is bittersweet to me & bragging rights in my family, with Thanksgiving coming up, my younger brother Stanford guy & Aunt a Cal supporter} it pretty much insures there will no Pac-12 team in the National Championship Game, too much Eastern NCAA/BCS sports bias for any SEC, Big-10 & Big-12 Conferences teams, even other 1 loss teams, maybe rightly so....

Budnicks

Oregon Ducks & Stanford Cardinals tonight  :2thumbs: @ 5pm Pacific time,  :drool5: I can't wait... Does anyone got any score predictions  :icon_smile_question:, I'm going with the my Ducks {well duh} 35 over the Cardinals 31, the only team that Stanford Cardinals have lost to in the past 2 seasons is the Oregon Ducks but that was in Oregon also, I hope to see that continue this year at the Stanford "Farm"...