News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

any lionel train experts out there?

Started by mpdlawdog, October 22, 2011, 12:04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpdlawdog

I found these trains...have no idea if they work or what they are worth?  Any ideas....the one train looks very old....Thanks
"Life is Tough...It's even tougher when you are stupid"  -John Wayne-

Todd Wilson

I have a nice collection of Lionel stuff but havent been around things in 15 years for the most part.  Way back when what I learned is some stuff is worth a fortune and other stuff isnt worth much at all.  Just because its old Lionel doesnt make it worth a lot.    I had a friend who was a dealer collector  and he would have some 1940's or 1950's locomotives that were worth 1000$  and then another set from 1940 with the locomotive a few cars and a caboose with track and transformer all together in a box was lucky to get 50$ for it.   Those locomotives you have are cool but they appear to me in the pictures to not be the heavier more high dollar units.

As far as cars there are some worth more then others. Common stuff that was in every set and the the more rare option cars. Cars that do something other then go down the track usually bring more money. Some of those are rare as they didnt make many of them.

I think the Lionel hobby has been dieing down in recent years. No kid out there is really interested in an electric train anymore. Its hard to find a new Lionel set in my area. Sometimes you see something at Christmas but thats rare.

Todd

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

I have 4 large boxes of old trains that were my grandfathers (passed away 15 yrs ago). I wish I trusted someone enough to give me a real value on the, w/out trying to buy them cheap  :flame:

PocketThunder

I have always wanted a kick ass train set in the basement and i have just the room for one now in my house.   :drool5:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

mopar0166

I can help out,  im prety sure the bottom four was a set .  ill pm you an est for what you have later since im a little busy right now.   I collect postwar and modern lionel and mikes trains set 

one the things im still working on adding to my layout is a late 60's dodge dealer with a minature of my 69 on the show room floor. 

the babe ruth car is proably worth the most,  do you know if they run at all? 

nvrbdn

the cars are pretty standard and aprox 10.00 apiece. you can get them all day long on ebay. the engines are listed by the # on the side of the engine. thats what the collectors go by. i have some rare trains in my collection and when im at a loss for value, i take them to a show. usually those guys are straight with you and will usually bring one of the same from their collection to compare. if you plan to sell, i would check out the rarity of the engines before selling.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

mpdlawdog

That's cool! You wil have to post some pics of the dealership when it's done. I don't know if they work or not or how you will test them. I don't think the upper engine is a lionel. It has mas stamped on the front. I will take a pic to see if you might recognize it.

41husk

I know cudaken got big into trains.  After he sold the 69 R/T (now moparstuarts Daytona clone), he built a big track covering his entire garage, and left the 68 RoadRunner his dad bought new, sitting out in the elements rotting in the driveway.  I have been by several times over the last 4 or 5 years.  It has not ran in all that time.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

skip68

I'm so glad this thread got started! :2thumbs: I have been getting boxes of old trains and the such from my parents. They belonged to my late great uncle. I will post pics tomorrow, as i would like to know value and info too!
Mrs.skip68
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

A383Wing

I still got my old train set my parents got for me from Sears back in the early 60's...the engine & coal car are not separable and it also has an all metal working crane car that works.

I wish I could also find someone that could tell me what it's worth as well

nvrbdn

those cranes can get expensive according which one it is.  guess we all need to get the pic's posted and compare. lionel, american flyer, marx, whichever ya got, lets see them. :2thumbs: i will check my toy price guides and see if i have price charts. should be able to get some ballpark prices. :yesnod:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

mpdlawdog

here are pics of the engine....it says "MAR USA" on the front...cant find any other markings on it...any ideans?

nvrbdn

thats marx :2thumbs: big X in the middle. not sure what year. any other stamped #'s?
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

you have a transformer and track? buff the center pick-up and wheels with 1500 or 2000 sandpaper and see if you have current. looks like an earlier marx engine to me.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

mpdlawdog

no I dont have any of that to see if it works.....I cant find ANY other markings on it....could I get $20-$30 for them you think?  I really need a throttle return spring and heater hose bracket  :lol:

nvrbdn

i think you should be able to. ive seen the lionel (which is a set with everything except the marx engine) go for 25 and up according to the condition. yours seems to be in nice shape. i tried to get info on the marx engine, but wasnt able to get a date on it. looks to be an early style engine. but they arent selling for much on the models i did find. engines arent demanding the money right now. it seems specialty cars is where the money is. but your complete train should cover the money you are looking for easily.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Neal_J

Lawdog:

I've been playing with Marx trains since I was a kid.  Marx trains are the poor stepchild compared to Lionel but they are 100% as much fun and are virtually indestructible.   Here's a site that gives some background about Marx trains and provides instructions for how to get an old locomotive running:  http://www.thortrains.net/marstart.html  Running or not, these trains are pretty cheap (see ebay for examples). 

A few years back, I used the remnants of my childhood Marx trains to build a layout for my kids in the garage.   The layout allows two trains to run simultaneously and is destruction-proof.  It's suspended in the rafters by cables attached to a hand-crank winch.  When the kids want to play, I lower the layout.  When they're done, it cranks back up.   Trains, like cars, are so much fun!

Choo Choo!

nvrbdn

thats a great idea for the track. and you are right, the kids can play with em and they can last forever. :yesnod: law dog,if your not in it to make a few bucks, you should find some track and fire em up. you will get hooked :yesnod:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

A383Wing

Quote from: nvrbdn on October 24, 2011, 08:06:23 AM
those cranes can get expensive according which one it is.  guess we all need to get the pic's posted and compare. lionel, american flyer, marx, whichever ya got, lets see them. :2thumbs: i will check my toy price guides and see if i have price charts. should be able to get some ballpark prices. :yesnod:

yea..now that you mention it...I think it is "Marx" brand....I'll dig out the box and see if I can snap some pics this weekend

Thanks, Bryan

Todd Wilson

I kinda wondered if that one engine was a Marx.   Marx was a cheaper train company.  Lots of their stuff produced but none that I know of is worth much and their quality isnt even close to Lionel. My first train set was a Marx set. I still have it and it runs fine.   They work on the Lionel 0 gauge track.

Todd