News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gave up, time to start over.

Started by RROriginals, October 20, 2011, 08:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RROriginals

Well, my '73 was a huge flop (Lost more than I want to talk about)
I do get a nice chunk of change when I turn 21 (18 months away), with a little nickel and diming, I could save up about..
$20,000 by then.

I want another '73 Roadrunner, but one I feel I can finish without sinking too much (10-15k?)
Any suggestions on what would be cost-effective but still have cajones?

RallyeMike

QuoteWell, my '73 was a huge flop (Lost more than I want to talk about)
I do get a nice chunk of change when I turn 21 (18 months away), with a little nickel and diming, I could save up about..
$20,000 by then.

I want another '73 Roadrunner, but one I feel I can finish without sinking too much (10-15k?)
Any suggestions on what would be cost-effective but still have cajones?

#1. Study and learn your Mopars so you know what you are buying. It's pretty clear from your previous questions that you have limited knowledge. The more you know, the better chance you will have of getting a good deal and not getting burned.

#2. Watch the market while you save your cash so you know what a good deal is when it's time to spring.

#3. When you are ready to buy, hold off until the right deal comes along (this is hard to do!)

The really good news is that if you are set on a 73 Roadrunner, you can buy a very nice car for reasonable cash. The 73-74 body style is not as sought after as others and so the prices are very reasonable. I think you could buy a nice car for $13-18k needing nothing. If you want a "U" code 440 car, you'll have to pay a little more because they didnt make too many.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

greenpigs

X2

With these since so many are SB's it is even easier for someone to toss a RR hood on and say they have one after a repaint. Learn ALL the codes and keep walking if the car is missing the fender tag unless they have a buildsheet. Going for a factory 440 is going to double the price I bet, since as stated they are very rare.

20K should get you what you want and leave several thousand buck in your pocket IMO.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

ralley72

The advise from RallyeMike and Greenpigs is very sound. 73-74 Road Runners don't get the attention as do Chargers, so they can be purchased and enjoyed for less money. I had a 73 RR thats going to the grave with me. Why are you giving up on the car you have?

Mike
1973 Roadrunner 400 mag. 4 sp

bobs66440

I agree with all and want to stress...make sure the car you get is rust free. If you don't know how to do rust repair or body work, that will send the cost (and stress level) into the stratosphere. The drivetrain and interior are relatively easy to replace. I would go for a rust free car with no motor over a rust bucket with a killer engine any day...

41husk

I agree with all the above and would add don't get in a rush because the market is good now.  I don't believe it has bottomed out yet, meaning there will be some killer deals out there in the years to come :Twocents:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

RROriginals

Well, I LOVE Runners, but I'm not partial to the A bodystyle, I love B's. In my own opinion - I'm an entry level enthusiast, I can strip and build and engine but I'm trying my hand at autobody.

At only 19, I've had a few Mopars. Some more unappealing to some than others.
example: 1966 Plymouth Cuda, 318 LA with a '66 Dodge Dart front clip.

And why am I giving up? If you want the story, be prepared for a long one.

I bought her back in May of 2010, I had just turned 18 and always wanted to own a Mopar since I was 12. Out in Stoneham, MA I was out driving with my mom, and under a tree in someone's yard I see this black, louvered hood and a windshield with "FOR SALE" on it, we stop and I go and check it out.

After clearing some leaves and debris I found a 1973 Plymouth Roadrunner sitting there, the exhaust was shot, brakes were shot and there wasn't too much bodywork to do. So I took her for $3250 (Probably overpaid, but I seized the opportunity. If you were to know me personally, Money has little value to me in some areas). Over the next few weeks I spent 90% of my day trying to get it running, replaced the whole top half of the engine, brakes, exhaust, the works. $800 later she took her first lap around the block and it was amazing. Over the course of the following months I was thrown out, the ex'Fiance and I were having problems and there was nothing left to do and nowhere to go.
            So, I rent out a storage container and keep her there for a little while, and at friend's houses. I would have tried anything to keep this car, I want to but I need to get myself up and out of this rut first.

I know people will tell me, "Money always has value" or "You're too young to understand", but I understand fine. If I could, I'd spend every dollar I made JUST to restore this one car, all day long I get, "It's a s***box, it's garbage, sell it, it's too old". Even though this may sound a little "off", but when I needed something to cling onto most, my car was there, and it wouldn't push me away, always craved my attention to do more work.

twodko

The membership offers sage advice.........learn, learn and learn some more about fender tags, chassis markings vin plates whatever it takes to be a well informed buyer. My piece of advice is if you'll be coming into some samolians, put it in the bank and forget about it. Look at as many cars as you can, ask questions here and don't be in any hurry to buy something. Patience will stand you on good sted.  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

RROriginals

Thanks Two, I know I took a foolish leap for a classic, but haven't we all at some point in time?

moparstuart

look  look and look some more for 20k you should be able to find a perfect 73 Road runner

you could even step up and get a pretty nice 69 or 70 that will be worth more  

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

RROriginals

Well actually Stuart, I have quite the obsession with Superbirds. But here is my question:

A: How hard/easy will it be to find a DECENT '70 body, with minimal rust/rot (and price?)
B: How much would it be for original SB parts? (Wingedwarrior sells repos, but I want original, either or works)

nvrbdn

duck when the answer comes, but he is the one to ask :smilielol:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

RROriginals

Haha, well I can say this; Money isn't a problem. And I can wait to build it fully, even if I just have a '70 for a daily driver for a while, I do have a source of income over the next 6 years. I would just like a rough estimate on building one.

Another car that I absolutely love to see and hear the name of, is 1967 Belvedere II.

moparstuart

Quote from: RROriginals on October 21, 2011, 11:01:30 AM
Well actually Stuart, I have quite the obsession with Superbirds. But here is my question:

A: How hard/easy will it be to find a DECENT '70 body, with minimal rust/rot (and price?)
B: How much would it be for original SB parts? (Wingedwarrior sells repos, but I want original, either or works)

right now the market is really soft on superbirds and the cheapest they have been in years , but your going to have at least 50k to play in that game .
   your not going to find original part out there unless you just get very very very extrememly lucky nad they will be outragiously priced .

i would say buy with your 15-20 k a nice driver 70 road runner and enjoy it  , then down the road you can trade up or clone it .  :Twocents:     if you clone one plan on at least 50 k and thats if you do alot of the work .  You will just have to plann on using new aftermarket parts to built it though .

RROriginals

Hm. 50k huh? In all honesty, that sounds like a fair price to me. We don't have any Superbirds (Or clones) here in Rhode Island that I know of. I'd be happy to be one of the guys to own one. Still a few years away, I have a ton of choices to make but I'm still wondering how much it would be to restore the one I have.

PocketThunder

Quote from: RROriginals on October 21, 2011, 11:26:16 AM
Hm. 50k huh? In all honesty, that sounds like a fair price to me. We don't have any Superbirds (Or clones) here in Rhode Island that I know of. I'd be happy to be one of the guys to own one. Still a few years away, I have a ton of choices to make but I'm still wondering how much it would be to restore the one I have.

You mentioned ex-fiance previously and your only 18, so dont go down that road again anytime soon or your "extra money" fund will be depleted rather quickly...  Oh and remember, no glove, no love.   :2thumbs:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

RROriginals

Well, actually I have a son. I'm proud of him. Even though his mother won't let me see him as much I still care deeply for him.

Ponch ®

this all sounds very Telemundo to me.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

moparstuart

RROriginals

Lol, well I can say that my life has been on big Soap opera. And to think it's only 1/4 over with. Damn.

nvrbdn

i think you rethink the car you have. post some pic's so we can see what you are up against. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

RROriginals

I'll upload an album to Imageshack and show you exactly what I'm up against.
I have $1700 offer for the car at this point in time.

maxwellwedge

Sorry for all your troubles but at least your investment is a lot smaller than most that have got screwed on a car. You are still young - brush it aside, dig in and move forward.

But please - don't put the real rare parts on a clone.

RROriginals

I won't put originals on a clone. I'll go with repos.