News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Just out of curiosity....can the steering wheel move closer to the dash?

Started by Dino, October 18, 2011, 08:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Once more I found myself sitting in the '69 after lunch with that idiot smirk on my face, you know, the one you get when you buy a Charger.   :icon_smile_big:

I was enjoying the last bit of decent weather SE Mi will see for some time to come, listening to the old am radio (very nostalgic), when I thought about what my wife said last week when she took the Charger out, the steering wheel is really high and in your face.  She's right.  Granted, my seats are original so the foam on the driver's side is pretty much gone making the driver sit even lower but even then, that steering wheel is still pretty high and really close to the driver compared to a more modern car.  I'm 5' 11" so it's not bad for me, my wife's a little more vertically challenged so she needs to slide the seat forward making that steering wheel ridiculously close to her.  I looked at the steering column and if it can be shortened a bit I think the wheel can move towards the dash a good inch or two before the wheel wuld hit the dash.  This would give her a bit more breathing room and maybe she'd be able to look over the wheel instead of through it...she'll kill me if she reads this... :D

Has anyone ever tried to do this?  Either by modifying or swapping for a different steering column altogether?

Just curioous....
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Chryco Psycho

it will adjust slightly , maybe an inch on the factory mounts , if you have power steering you can use a smaller diameter wheel , I had to do this in my 68 Cuda as my knee hit the steering wheel just trying to clutch . The other alternative is to try to adapt a late 70s B body column with tilt

Dino

An inch would be an improvement, a tilt column sounds like music to my ears though, I'll have to do some investigating.  I won't change out the steering wheel though, I love the woodgrain wheel despite it's size.  Then again the size is probably a good thing since there's absolutely no road feel due to the power steering so I'm happy to not be runing a small wheel on the highway.  I wish someone in my area had a firm feel upgrade so I could try it out.  I think a stage 2 firm feel pump would be just what I need.

If I find a tilt column out of a late 70's b-body, it'll have the ignition on the column itself right?  Maybe I can use the cover I have now to make it look stock, I like the switch in the dash.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

UFO

Never mind,Just reread you want to move the column inward.Dont think that's possible with the orig column.