News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rebuit Engine 4 Years Ago - Need To Break In Cam

Started by 69fourspd, October 10, 2011, 12:25:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69fourspd

Hey guys.  Always appreciate any advice you can give. 

I rebuilt my 440 about 4 years ago but never got to breaking the engine in.  I moved which delayed the build.  I am about ready to start it for the first time, but am worried all the cam lube has dissipated.  The engine internally looks good from what I can see.  I primed the oil before it sat and sealed it up fairly well.  Turns real nice.  Engine is in car and everything is bolted up and wired for break in.

Question is what would you do? I don't want to pull the manifold and valley pan since everything is sealed and looking good.  I have all the additives for the oil that is suggested on DC.com.  Would you feel safe starting it up, or tear it apart? Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thx - Matt

xpbprox

I don't have much experience but I'm about to do this to mine too and I've been reading a lot. I would take the intake and valley pan off and put some molly grease in there with your fingers especially because you have rotated the engine and probably wiped some of the lube away. I also read that the lifter "oil holes" need to be facing down (toward the exhaust side) so make sure you did that because I didn't and had to fix that first. You will have to prime the oil pump again and in a thread somewhere, they said to prime rotate engine 90 prime again and so forth...

Edit:
what are the engine SPECS?

69fourspd

Here are the specs:

69 440 .40 over
906 heads, 88cc chambers, Comp Cam #911 springs
9.5:1 speedpro pistons
rods shot peened, balanced
Lunati VooDoo Cam
Edlbrock performer rpm
ProForm 750 vac sec.
3.91 suregrip
15 inch tires
PTC 11" 2800 stall

Challenger340

Quote from: xpbprox on October 10, 2011, 12:36:42 AM
I don't have much experience but I'm about to do this to mine too and I've been reading a lot. I would take the intake and valley pan off and put some molly grease in there with your fingers especially because you have rotated the engine and probably wiped some of the lube away. I also read that the lifter "oil holes" need to be facing down (toward the exhaust side) so make sure you did that because I didn't and had to fix that first. You will have to prime the oil pump again and in a thread somewhere, they said to prime rotate engine 90 prime again and so forth...

Edit:
what are the engine SPECS?

* Molly, or some extreme pressure lubricant containing Zinc would be nice on the Cam Lobes prior to start up, or pour Zinc additive directly on the lobes.

* It is NOT the "Lifter Oil Holes" that need to be facing down and out towards the Exhaust, doesn't matter which direction because they are in a groove.
but rather,
The Rocker SHAFT Oil Holes, HAVE TO BE DOWN & OUT towards the Exhaust. Torque the Shafts @ 25ft/lbs.

* Have someone slowly rotate the engine by hand as you run the primer, with the Valve Covers off, and watch for the Rocker Shafts on each Bank to fill with OIl.
Each Rocker Shaft only recieves a "shot" of Oil once every 2 Engine revolutions as the #4 Cam journal crossdrill lines up in the Brg, so rotate slowly as you Prime and watch each Head. 
Only wimps wear Bowties !

xpbprox

That makes sense what you said about the lifters, but I just remembered someone stating to put them that way. Maybe oil will get to it a little bit faster haha

Chryco Psycho

for the time it takes to pull the intake that is what I would be doing , you can re-use the valley pan , it is a lot less work then changing a wiped cam

69fourspd

Thanks guys.  I will pull the manifold and paste on some moly lube.  I have some cam lube and will poor over the cam and dist. gear while I am at it. 

Will definately rotate and prime before starting her up.  Hopefully it runs! The degree wheel 4 years ago has me on edge.... First full motor rebuild and no dots on the timing gears  ;)

Chryco Psycho

Prime it Before you lube the cam & wipe the lube off rotating it over

firefighter3931

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 11, 2011, 09:14:29 AM
Prime it Before you lube the cam & wipe the lube off rotating it over

Good advice  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

poppa

How do you prime? Turn by hand? Where are you putting the oil?
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

xpbprox

You have to use a prime shaft, summit has them. Search oil pump prime shaft.
I actually just got a long Allen head, don't know what size, because I didn't feel like paying over $10 for a stick of metal

poppa

oldkimmer

.................its a 5/16th hex make sure ur drill is turning counter clockwise............kim........
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

69fourspd

Thanks for all the replys. 

Here is a summary of what I did based on all your suggestions. 

- primed motor while rotating assembly
- pulled off intake and valley pan
- wiped off cam lobes to get moly grease to stick better
- applied moly greese with my finger as best I could
- had left over cam lube, so I poured a little over moly grease, cam and gear for good measure
- bought new fel-pro 1214 valley pan, powder coated, realised it doesnt fit. Motor is a 440
- ordered the correct valley pan fel-pro 1215 and waiting to arrive for assembly

Hopefully someone else will read this and not make the same mistake on the wrong valley pan.

Here is a picture of the motor almost ready to go.  the lines hanging off the side are temporary oil and temp gauges for break in if you were curious.

poppa

Not trying to hijack but...I'm confused. If I look in where my distributor should be the hook up is slotted. So I have to take out the drive shaft and gear,correct? How is this done without dropping it? Does it have to go back in a certain way (for timing),or just drop it in? Thank you for your time. :shruggy: :brickwall:

Chryco Psycho

you need to use a screwdriver & rotate the oil pump drive out of the cam & remove it then you need a long hex shaft to go past the cam into the oil pump drive

poppa

I take it this will come out through the distributor hole then??? Drop  it back in,position doesn't matter? Thank you.

FLG

Yes through the distributor hole.

With engine TDC on the #1 cylinder compression stroke, you want the slot parallel with the camshaft.

But in all reality you could put it however you want as long as it was wired up correctly. Just make sure the rotor position coincides with the wire going to the 1st cylinder.

poppa

Thank you all for the info. Anyone have a tip on getting it out? Magnet?

69fourspd,did you fire it up yet?

FLG

Long pliers works, if there not quite long enough stick a screwdriver in it and rotate, it will turn on the crank gear and move up an inch or so.

poppa

Thanks to all for the info. Got it out ,had to "make" my own priming tool, worked great,got oil at the gauge port first and when it turned to the sweet spot,got oil right away to the rockers. Bottoned it up and dropped it in. Hopefully tomorrow after work my son will help install the trans. Thanks again.

69fourspd

Poppa - Good to hear you got the engine primed.  I actually used a telescoping magnet which fits perfectly into the round recess where the straight groove is. 

I am targeting Friday for the break in.  I will install the intake tomorrow and get everything buttoned up and triple check everything. 

Just an FYI, finished the TTI 2.5 dual exhaust kit on HP manifolds.  Install was good and only had to cut an inch off the pipes that run from the x-pipe to the pipes that connect to manifolds.  Did it myself and had no problems.  Took about 3 hours all together.

poppa

What are you planning on doing for break in? Hope all goes well.

69fourspd

Basically planning to turn it over and with a bit of luck it will kick.  If it does, I will get the RPMs to 2000 and try to get the timing a little closer.  If I get to this point, I will throttle up to 2300ish for a minute and back to 2000 - repeat again for 20 min.  If the motor goes that long without major issue, I will shut it down and crack a beer.

If it doesn't go well, I wil crack a few more beers...

Timing is set on cylinder 1, engine TDC.  Oil primed, Cam lubed, radiator filled, trans filled with plug on tail (no driveshaft yet), Trans in park, gauges wired for temp, oil, rmp, big fan in front of car ready to push some air.

terrible one

One thing! Don't leave the trans in park during the break-in, go for neutral instead. From what I understand the 727 doesn't pump fluid in park.