News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Convert from power, to manual steering, take off header?

Started by madmike, October 03, 2011, 12:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmike

'68 Charger, 440, non-AC, four speed.  Trying to re-assemble this thing from a pile of parts.  I am already sick of power steering issues.  I had a hell of a time finding a power steering pressure hose (found one that fits, but isn't correct).  It took 7 trips to the auto parts store for a PS belt (even bought 2 at a time).  Now, I find that the pump leaks like a bee-yotch from the shaft seal.  No one carries rebuilt TRW pumps, or even a shaft seal kit.  I'm pretty sure that if I get a working pump, the next thing will be that the steering gear box will be junk.

It never ends.  A simple thing always snow balls into another $1000 on this car.  I never met a more un-cooperative car.  Anyways...

I'm seriously considering deleting the power steering and switching to manual.  To remove the power steering gear box, do I need to remove the driver side header (which will require removing the clutch linkage and starter), and raise the motor up an inch or two?  I've already been through the header/starter BS, and I'm afraid I'll have to go through all of this again...

To remove the power steering gear box, do I need to remove the driver side header (which will require removing the clutch linkage and starter), and raise the motor up an inch or two?

Thanks,
Mike

Chryco Psycho

I have found it impossible to remove a power steering box without at least loosening the header