News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is your definition of a "survivor"?

Started by Drache, October 03, 2011, 09:16:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drache

Does the car have to be 100% original or can you rebuild/replace some things?

Mainly things like a front end, brakes, exhaust, etc.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Tilar

Those would be normal maintenance items and wouldn't hurt survivor status. I would say that new interior, paint, fenders or that sort of thing would be crossing the line.   :Twocents:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Ghoste

That would be 100% my opinion.  Some of the loose fast definitions out there that I hear using the term definitely dont cut it by my reckoning.

68X426

Quote from: Tilar on October 03, 2011, 09:26:43 AM
Those would be normal maintenance items and wouldn't hurt survivor status. I would say that new interior, paint, fenders or that sort of thing would be crossing the line.   :Twocents:

Agreed.  :yesnod:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

XS29LA47V21

Seems to be somewhat a range of cars for me at times with very original traits, the more original the better, but for description I think they should be factory original paint (ideally all the car). 

ODZKing

Nothing changed other than regular maintenance or repair.   :iagree:
Quote from: 68X426 on October 03, 2011, 10:15:28 AM

Agreed.  :yesnod:

A34

Here's one group of opinions:

CRITERIA: UNRESTORED/UNRESTIFIED MOPARS at least 25 years old. 80% each, of the paint, interior, and drive train must be as "factory installed or applied". It does not mean repainted to the correct color or rebuilt to the original specifications.

We want the display to present each vehicle to best represent it the way it is after it Survived all of these years. Maintenance and normal repairs are acceptable as well as minimal accident repair. Component replacement; such as belts, hoses, exhaust, tires, etc. is expected.
To maintain a high quality display, we recommend replacing components with similar items such as correct tire type and size, correct battery, stock appearing exhaust, correct hose clamps, Mopar belts, etc.

http://www.challengertaregistry.com/survivor.html

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/eventcoverage/mopp_0203_mels_major_survivor_group/index.html
Looking for NOS parts for 69 Charger - whatcha got?
God Bless America, Our Troops and Their Families !
Deo Vindice

Ghoste

BTW, Drache why do you ask?  You find a potential survivor?

Drache

Quote from: Ghoste on October 03, 2011, 10:53:03 AM
BTW, Drache why do you ask?  You find a potential survivor?

Yeah but he wants $30,000 for it.  :icon_smile_big:

Actually a friend send the picture and info to me.

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

bakerhillpins

Is that car from Canada? It certainly looks like the 3x green from CA listed on Ebay a while back.

Me thinks so: http://www.cars-on-line.com/54655.html  So 30k CA is what in US greenbacks?

Some Comps:

An un restored 68 that sold for around 30k here. Better color in my opinion but it doesn't have the steelies with dogs.  :icon_smile_wink:
http://www.cars-on-line.com/51720.html

There was an un-restored (advertised that way) T5 (5) for sale in FL. 69 383 console auto, AC, PB, tan vinyl top, tan interior. It was listed for quite some time for 35k. At least a year IIRC. Can't find that ad right now.

Quote from: ODZKing on October 03, 2011, 10:50:56 AM
Nothing changed other than regular maintenance or repair.   :iagree:
Quote from: 68X426 on October 03, 2011, 10:15:28 AM
Those would be normal maintenance items and wouldn't hurt survivor status. I would say that new interior, paint, fenders or that sort of thing would be crossing the line.   :Twocents:

Agreed.  :yesnod:

+12
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: A34 on October 03, 2011, 10:52:43 AM
80% each, of the paint, interior, and drive train must be as "factory installed or applied".

How do you figure %s on that for say parts like drive train?? If you loose a motor is that 1/3rd or is it by weight, or volume?  :shruggy:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

surmanajaja

If I am buying a survivor ( I wish,, :'( ) then it should be original paint, maybe a fender or a door repainted because of accident or something, thats ok. original engine, can have add-ons from the day and normal tune-up etc maintenance,original interior with maybe recovered drivers seat or something small like that. those are the most important things, if the trans has been overhauled or rear gears changed, I wont mind.

If I am not buying the car, then I would call a survivor a car with a single repaint made before 1989, if everything else is original and not restored.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: bakerhillpins on October 03, 2011, 12:46:19 PM
Quote from: A34 on October 03, 2011, 10:52:43 AM
80% each, of the paint, interior, and drive train must be as "factory installed or applied".

How do you figure %s on that for say parts like drive train?? If you loose a motor is that 1/3rd or is it by weight, or volume?  :shruggy:

Non-orig motor = Non survivor.

The Corvette guys have all this figured out already  :2thumbs:

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: Drache on October 03, 2011, 09:16:55 AM

If it was under the big red and white tent at carlisle, it was a Survivor  :Twocents:

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on October 03, 2011, 01:34:03 PM

If it was under the big red and white tent at carlisle, it was a Survivor :Twocents:

:lol: :lol: :slap:  We agree to disagree, I no issues with my B5 RT 4spd w/ original paint & non-number motor.... anywhere in my head, go find any motor option 69 in any color presentable these days.    I am confused, so now we are the vette set too, please no.  

F3 I am with you bud.  :2thumbs:

RallyeMike

Mostly original paint and interior. Numbers matching drive train. That is the minimum requirements, and the level of "survivor" goes up from there....
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

maxwellwedge

Quote from: RallyeMike on October 03, 2011, 07:54:08 PM
Mostly original paint and interior. Numbers matching drive train. That is the minimum requirements, and the level of "survivor" goes up from there....

+1

hemi68charger

According to the last time I talked to the gentleman that organizes Carlisle and other Mopar ticket events, the paint is to be about 75-85%, the interior the majority if not all, original engine/tranny/rear axle. I forget his name, but I discussed this with him about my former '71 Charger R/T survivor. The 'Vette world has a totally different translation of "survivor" as well as NBC..  :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

A383Wing

Strange that this topic came up...I was gonna basically ask the same questions about my 2 cars here...what do you guys think...

1st car) 1966 Charger, 160,000 miles,original 383 (never opened up), manual trans, rear end, & paint...I only redid the interior a couple years ago because the front seats were held together with duct tape and the carpets were worn out...

2nd car) 1973 Pontiac Grandville convert, 58,000 mile car, everything still original except for the new top and some engine gaskets due to it's sitting for 14 years and never run...

So, my question is....survivor, original, or something else?

Cooter

I think the term "Survivor" is being kicked around nowadays because it used ot be "Hemi car" this, and "440 SIX PACK" that, that brought the money..

Now, it seems the "collector" cround has gotten on a "Survivor" kick and are paying for 'em. So, therefore, everything from granny's 1978 Nova 4dr, 250 6 cyl. , with original Puke green paint and piss yellow interior is a "Survivor"...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: XS29LA47V21 on October 03, 2011, 01:55:43 PM
Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on October 03, 2011, 01:34:03 PM

If it was under the big red and white tent at carlisle, it was a Survivor :Twocents:

:lol: :lol: :slap:  We agree to disagree, I no issues with my B5 RT 4spd w/ original paint & non-number motor.... anywhere in my head, go find any motor option 69 in any color presentable these days.    I am confused, so now we are the vette set too, please no.  

F3 I am with you bud.  :2thumbs:

Are you suggesting that a car - any car, with a non-original motor is a "survivor"?

If so, what has it survived?  :popcrn:

Fred

In my opinion it doesn't matter how much of a rust bucket it is when you find it.................if you restore it (using either original or after market parts) back to it's original state, , then it's a survivor.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Tilar

Quote from: Fred on October 04, 2011, 01:24:14 AM
In my opinion it doesn't matter how much of a rust bucket it is when you find it.................if you restore it (using either original or after market parts) back to it's original state, , then it's a survivor.

That would be like cleaning up a set of old used exhaust manifolds and having them coated and looking new and calling them NOS. It just doesn't quite work like that.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Magnumcharger

I had the pleasure of getting a very up-close and personal look at that particular F8 Charger when I saw it at a Mopar show last summer.

To call it a 'Survivor' is a bit of a stretch. A goodly portion of one quarterpanel as repainted after a rust repair was performed.
There is also lots of other areas that desperately need repair, including other rust issues.
The car is absolutely covered in dents and dings, especially the doors.

IMHO, the car is worth maybe $15K. Sure it's a '69 Charger, but she's rough. And it's not an R/T, or a four-speed, or an SE even.

AFAIK, it's a good point to start a restoration from.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

charger490

my 58 plymouth i bought from a farm wife with 80000 miles on it. she never drove it in the winter .i have done nothing to it except plugs, points, tires.it has 93000 miles on it now.it had plastic on the seats when i bought it so they are in great shape. i was told to not even clean the engine.

Survivor  yes or no