News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bright Anodized Aluminum

Started by Charger_Dart, September 29, 2011, 10:28:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger_Dart

My wife's Dart grill is in need of a resto.

The grill is all aluminum and I believe it was bright dipped anodized originally. I was hoping someone here has successfully re-anodized parts or can recommend a shop I can send the parts to. I like to do most work myself, but maybe this is not a DIY project?
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

twodko

Were it me, I'd find a shop that does alum anodizing in your area. Then with that grille on a couple saw horses (whatever) declare jihad on it with copious use of EasyOff oven cleaner. Once you get the old anodizing off, the shop will make it like new. Before/after picutures will be required.......you know the drill.  :smilielol: Good luck.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

E5 Charger

EasyOff takes off anodizing? Wow, what doesn't it work on? I've used it on plastic parts to remove paint with great success. As another option, Eastwood sells a product to remove anodizing that says it works in minutes. http://www.eastwood.com/ew-anodize-remover-gal.html  Hmmm, maybe it's liquid EasyOff.

maxwellwedge

There is a fantastic aluminum trim resto guy in Michigan - He has done 3 tail panels for me.

I will get his info but his name is Chuck.

It is so environmentally taboo that hardly anyone can do it anymore. It is not cheap but his results are excellent.

bobs66440

Quote from: E5 Charger on September 29, 2011, 06:46:40 PM
EasyOff takes off anodizing? Wow, what doesn't it work on? I've used it on plastic parts to remove paint with great success. As another option, Eastwood sells a product to remove anodizing that says it works in minutes. http://www.eastwood.com/ew-anodize-remover-gal.html  Hmmm, maybe it's liquid EasyOff.
Thanks for that link. I will try it.  :2thumbs:

Charger_Dart

Thanks for the information. I checked with the few shops in my area that replate metal and anodize, but they don't seem to do bight dip which I think gives it that chrome like finish. Looks like I may need to send it off someplace, but not sure who is good and reasonable.  :scratchchin:
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

Ghoste

I have experimented in the past with diy anodizing and it really isn't that hard.  Like a lot of things, the prep is everything but for a one time single part redo by the time you invest in the materials to do it and the time etc. yo are likely further ahead to just pay a decent shop to do it for you.