News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fiberglass hoods and hood scoops 68-70 Charger

Started by firefighter3931, September 24, 2011, 09:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter3931

Hey guys, just wondering if there would be any interest in a flat (no scallops) 'Glass hood with a scoop installed.  :scratchchin:

I've allways liked the look of a scoop on the Charger but not too fussy about how they look on a factory hood with the scallops.  :P

I met a representative from Pentastar recreations while at Norwalk and he has some very, very nice hoods on display. Pricing was excellent as well ($500) and that is with the scoop installed  :2thumbs:

Just trying to see if there is any interest in this type of product ??

Any/all feedback would be appreciated  :icon_smile_cool:

Thanks, Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

suntech

Any pictures of them Ron?
Do they also have inner liner?
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

Vainglory, Esq.

FWIW, I bought a fiberglass hood, but I had absolutely no interest in a hood scoop.  I just think it takes away from the overall look of the 2nd gen Chargers.  I know some people like them, but for me, I would think it'd be a racecar-only piece.

b5blue

Any details on what scoop? I like the flattened look with the air grabber blister type, not really a scoop per say like 6 pack.   :scratchchin: 

mauve66

searched for a website also, no luck, any more info??
i will probably have to get another hood to cut open, the more i think about driving mine the more i worry about it flexing too much
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

djcarguy

Quote from: mauve66 on September 24, 2011, 11:55:08 AM
i will probably have to get another hood to cut open, the more i think about driving mine the more i worry about it flexing too much
for 1st gen,i think any 66-67 coronet hood will fit and should be cheaper than charger parts? what are you going to have sticking out of hood?

mauve66

yeah, i know about the year but just pricing a new vendor, nothing sticking out just fresh air going in
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

drifter69

I am interested Ron, Iwould like to see some pic's if you can to see what we are talking about. I have been thinking about a six pack hood for mine. what kind of quality are they?

kab69440

I personally don't care for a scoop on the second gen unless the scallops have been removed. It needs to be bulged or depressed, but not both. I think a plain flat hood would look pretty good, personally.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

471_Magnum

Just an FYI, AAR produced a Charger hood with a 6 Pack scoop for awhile. It had the scallops in it. I thought it looked pretty good and considered getting one for my 69. Not sure that it's available anymore, but I'm sure they'd dust off the forms if they thought there was enough interest.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

b5blue

One of the "key points" is 70 Charger hood is unique to just that year unlike 68-69. There have been 68-69 hoods but I've never seen anything aftermarket for 70.  :scratchchin:

firefighter3931

Quote from: mauve66 on September 24, 2011, 11:55:08 AM

Sorry, made a mistake on the name : It's Pentastar Reproductions

Here's a link to their catalog : http://www.penstar.net/bodypart.pdf

Quote from: b5blue on September 24, 2011, 11:49:35 AM
Any details on what scoop? I like the flattened look with the air grabber blister type, not really a scoop per say like 6 pack.   :scratchchin: 

He has several different scoops available....so it's the buyer's choice. I like the 6-pack scoop but i could envision an airgrabber or AAR scoop  :scratchchin:

Quote from: suntech on September 24, 2011, 10:00:53 AM
Any pictures of them Ron?
Do they also have inner liner?

Just the pics on the website linked above....but i can tell you that these are high quality pieces. My buddy Kevin (Blown 68 Coronet) has an original A-12 Superbee 'Glass hood and he said that this one was identical to his in both design and weight. These are not flimsy "raceweight" hoods ; the bolt-on version has steel reinforcements plates in the hinge and hood latch fastening points.  :2thumbs:

When I spoke with the owner he was receptable to making a flat hood available with the customer's choice of hood scoops.  :cheers:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

Rolling_Thunder

I would jump on the hood if it was done with a 1970 RR style air grabber or a 1971 style air grabber bubble...         
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

mauve66

i didn't see any seperate hood scoops, is that something their starting to do??  or just a couple with the scoop as part of the hood??

i guess i could ask them that................ sorry............. :brickwall:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

Fred

I'd be interested in a air grabber hood for a second gen charger.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

LUMI

i am interested
i must buy a one to next summer anyway
but i need 6" high  :coolgleamA:
and there is no good looking mopar scoops awailabe at that high in my opinion :brickwall:
so I'm leaning to cowl scoop would rather take a bolt on one but it might be that bolt on wont fit ie it will hit to the windshield when opened ::)
been looking for these supliers but dont know about the quality  :shruggy:
http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/site.htm
http://www.aarqualityfiberglass.com/aboutus.html
http://www.glasstek.com/

kokxville

Hey Ron,

yes,i'm interested in a fiberglass sixpack hood for my 69 charger. :yesnod:
I was looking for quite a while for these hoods. ;)

John
1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

Ghoste

Me personally I like the scalloped hood.  Years ago in my hometown there was a guy with a 69 Charger and he had a custom version of the early 70's Mopar Pro Stock scoop made that fit between the scallops.  I always kind of like it.

kab69440

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on September 24, 2011, 05:55:51 PM
I would jump on the hood if it was done with a 1970 RR style air grabber or a 1971 style air grabber bubble...         

Second gen hoods look awesome with the Runner/ GTX power bulge. It suits the car VERY well. Not sure I'd go to the extra effort of the Ramcharger/ Air Grabber setup, though. I suppose if a man could buy a complete setup, it'd be worth it just for the cool factor.

Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

J-440

I would HIGHLY be interested in paying for a glass hood with no scallops or peak at the edge of the hood.  I was going to cut up another company's hood and add a Shaker setup to it along with some air extractors on the sides near the cowl.  Kind of what you would see on the 11 Shelby Mustangs.  It would be functional and most importantly would expell all of the hot air as well as keep a lot of it from going under the car during high speeds.  SIGN ME UP!!!
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

kab69440

At one point I was going to do a Shaker. After a quick mock up, that idea went out the window. The Shaker looks hideous on the '69 hood.

WANT TO BUY:

Thank you,    Kenny

DonC1

I have the mold for for the 70 AG hood, seperate rear insert, airbox and door etc. I can easily make this setup in 'glass (ie bulge and surround only) in any thickness a person wants. One could easily graft this piece onto the 2nd charger hood or any hood...as I am currently doing now grafting it onto my 70 superbird 'glass hood for project slambird.

Also have the mold for a shaker and volare/aspen conversion. I sold more than a few of these after MCG printed my info.

firefighter3931

Good feedback so far  :2thumbs:

So it looks like there is some interest in a flat hood with different optional scoops installed. He did say that a cowl is doable even on a "scalloped" factory hood but i don't think there would be enough room for a descent sized (14in round) aircleaner. The distance between the scallops is fairly narrow.

I'm thinking the hood wouldn't be perfectly flat....rather raised like the factory hood minus the scallops to facilitate a cleaner scoop install and make it appear less "busy"  :icon_smile_cool:

I'll try contacting the rep and direct him here to this thread for more info....stay tuned !

Thanks, Ron