News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

LCA Bushing removal

Started by dlo3575, September 22, 2011, 08:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlo3575

I have removed the pivot pin.  Now I am tackling the bushing.  Being a MOPAR newbie, I hope this post doesn't sound stupid.  I used the pivot pin removal tool again, with my own threaded road and som washer and it snagged the rubber bushing out easily and cleanly.  However, it looked like the metal bushing sleeve is still in place.  How in the world is that suppose to come out?  I can't come up with any ideas that won't FUBAR the LCA.  I hope you all have some good advice....
D. Lee Herrera
MOPAR Newbie
1969 Charger (son's)
2009ZR1
2003 50th Anniv. Corvette Convertible
1964 Impala SS Vert
1963 Impala SS 4 spd 327-300HP

hemi71x

RF-4C Phantom 69-370 Zweibrucken, Germany

hemi71x

I re-read your post.
It said you are using the "pivot pin" removal tool.
Is this the tool that you have?
If you do, i also removes the "shell" that's left in the lower control arm.

bull

Check out the last pic on this thread: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,66278.0.html

After fighting like hell to get the outer part of the bushings out of mine (air hammer, punches, chisels, screwdrivers, etc.) I screwed up the installation on one of them so I gave up and took it to Firm Feel. They popped the inner sleeve and rubber out lickity-split (like we all do) and when it came to the outer sleeve they used a tap to cut threads into it. Then they threaded the appropriate sized bolt in, flipped it over and pressed it and the outer sleeve right out. The whole procedure took less than five minutes. The bad news is I don't know what size the threads/bolt were that they used and if you had to buy a tap that big it would cost you, but if you have access to big taps you'll save yourself a lot of hassle doing it this way.

hemi71x

Quote from: bull on September 22, 2011, 11:10:27 PM
Check out the last pic on this thread: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,66278.0.html

After fighting like hell to get the outer part of the bushings out of mine (air hammer, punches, chisels, screwdrivers, etc.) I screwed up the installation on one of them so I gave up and took it to Firm Feel. They popped the inner sleeve and rubber out lickity-split (like we all do) and when it came to the outer sleeve they used a tap to cut threads into it. Then they threaded the appropriate sized bolt in, flipped it over and pressed it and the outer sleeve right out. The whole procedure took less than five minutes. The bad news is I don't know what size the threads/bolt were that they used and if you had to buy a tap that big it would cost you, but if you have access to big taps you'll save yourself a lot of hassle doing it this way.

The size of the tap is 1 3/8 inch.
I too use this method to remove the "bushing shell" that stays in the lower control arm.
But you don't have to remove the tap and install a large diameter bolt.
Just press out the tap with the shell that's it threaded onto.
Look on eBay for large taps.
Lots of vendors buy out businesses, and then auction them off pretty cheap.
Got lots of my stuff that way.

Chryco Psycho

if you are going to use a poly bushing the shell stays in place , you only need to remove it if you are going to use a stock rubber bushing

bull

:iagree:

Quote from: hemi71x on September 23, 2011, 03:24:27 PM
The size of the tap is 1 3/8 inch.
I too use this method to remove the "bushing shell" that stays in the lower control arm.
But you don't have to remove the tap and install a large diameter bolt.
Just press out the tap with the shell that's it threaded onto.
Look on eBay for large taps.
Lots of vendors buy out businesses, and then auction them off pretty cheap.
Got lots of my stuff that way.

Good point. In that case you can save even more money since you wouldn't be buying a 1 3/8" bolt. I imagine Firm Feel does so many that they want to save their taps from potential damage.