News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fess Up!..... Stupid Things We Did While Driving In our Teens.

Started by TruckDriver, January 16, 2006, 06:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

Bull's thread with the bike vs. car gave me this idea. Ok, a lot of us did stupid things while we were driving our cars/trucks/bikes when we were in our teens. I am NOT suggesting that these are in anyway a good idea for any of the younger members of this board. In fact to do this stuff is dumb and dangerous. But we can't change our past, we did what we did, But I figure there gotta be some good stories out there :yesnod:

So here is mine;

I used to street race/road race (up to speeds of 140) and bump draft the car I was chasing. BUT, The dumbest thing I believe me and my friends did was, I used to have 2 friends that were brothers. When I had my first car, (a '67 Chevy Belair 4 door), I would drive, one brother used to sit in the front with me, the other in the middle of the back seat. I would lay down across the front seat and steer the car, one brother would lay on the floor and work the brakes and gas, while the other would be in the back seat directing us as to which way to turn, when to stop, etc.. We used to drive all over our town including main street at posted speeds, and the guy in the back would be laughing his ass off telling us about the looks we were getting. We did that for about a month til the guy in back said left turn when he meant right, "no right, I mean left, no right, Trans Am!!!". We stopped right there where we were, to look up and see we were real close to hitting a new Trans Am! Needless to say, that was the end of that :P We got real lucky we never hit anyone, or ran over things, got pulled over. Another thing I used to do with the same car, was after it snowed, and everyone had there side walks and driveways shoveled out, and you get the piles of snow by the sides of the driveways, I used to plow them down with my car and make a mess out of everything. Sometimes the whole big pile would slide in front of my car, and when I would turn back out into the street, it would leave a big pile in the middle of the road. I used to get a kick out of that :rotz: I got very lucky to not hit anything in the snow like a fire hydrant. I agree, I did some real dumb assed things back then :rotz:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

TK73

Driving my friends '77 Buick with 7 people in the car... drinking shots of tequila off the dash while somebody was handing me salt and lemon.  One of many such tales, sometimes I can't figure out how I made it past 20.

**EDIT**

Now I remember, it was the salt and lemon on the dash with some girl handing me the shot glass...
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

NHCharger

Way to many to list. Let's just say I survived and never hurt anyone.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

moparguy01

we used to play tag back in my teens. a bunch of us had shitbox cars and we'd chase each other around town and bump each other, then turn around and take off. we did that for years. i remember my buddies brother let me borrow his new corvette once. i was scared of damaging that plastic pile of parts. I just had to not let anybody catch me. haha

rebelgtp

like a few others have said i'm kinda lucky to have made it outa my teens lol...

a couple things pop to immediate mind, one i was working as a lot lizard at the local porsche dealer when i was 17 (nice job for a kid huh?) anyway we had a customer coming to pick up his new car.  my boss came back said the customer was wanting someone to go on a shake down with him in the car.  so i get in the car new owner is driving and i swear i think the guy had never driven a stick shift before.  well he manages to get the car about a block from the shop and is convinced there is somthing wrong with the car.  i offer to drive and its smooth as silk, he asks me to show him what the car will do, so me being young and dumb i do it.  i start pushing the car and head for the freeway.  let me just say that car will hit 150mph in about nothin flat and still has pleanty to go.  when we got back to the shop the guy gave me a $100 tip   :icon_smile_cool:

another is driving my old camaro on an old 2 lane country road ditches on either side and relise hey i missed a turn, did an ebrake turn and promptly got hit many times by my girlfriend sitting in the passenger seat  :icon_smile_blackeye:

Charger_Fan

DCG...dayumm!! :rotz:

Hmmm...let's see here, I wonder if the statute of limitations us up for mine yet. :scratchchin: ;D
I'm not gonna post any really bad ones, but I did a few dumb things, for sure.
*Drove my Mom's Caprice 5 miles to school from the passenger seat.
*Drove my truck to pick up my little sister while sitting on a lawn chair, because I took my seat out to wash it & it was still wet...she sat on the floor.
*Drove on the freeway in about 4" of snow, with completely BALD tires...only went sideways maybe 4 times, with one 360. ::)
*Did donuts in the snow...in a mall parking lot full of cars!

That's good enough for now.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

TruckDriver

Quote from: rebelgtp on January 16, 2006, 07:34:57 PM
one i was working as a lot lizard at the local porsche dealer when i was 17

Maybe you don't know this, but "Lot Lizard" is a common slang used by us truck drivers for a hooker  :D

And that is no joke.

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on January 16, 2006, 07:45:33 PM
Hmmm...let's see here, I wonder if the statute of limitations us up for mine yet. :scratchchin: ;D
I'm not gonna post any really bad ones, but I did a few dumb things, for sure.
*That's good enough for now.

Come on Grant .... I did it you big chicken :nana:
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

rare69

just one of the more memorable times. i had just turned 16 and my first car was a 68 gto, i know it wasn't a mopar but it was that or a toyota. and it went pretty good for a gm product. i was heading for a party with a couple of Buddy's in the car and on the way past a small gas station a sheriff pulled out and stated following me.i was only going about 15 miles to the next town and thought no biggy he will turn of in a minute.he didn't, and a couple of miles before my turn off the highway turns into four lanes. and i asked one of my Buddy's if that cop was still behind us and he said i don't know. well my right foot went way down and the red and blues came on. and they slowly disappeared, until the turn off. he asked me if i knew how fast i was going and i said 55,60 he told me he was going 110 and i left him like he was standing still. lost my license for 90 days and had to say sorry to both my Buddy's parrents.when they came to get their kids from jail. needless to say my dad was really impressed.

Shakey

Quote from: NHCharger on January 16, 2006, 07:03:51 PM
Way to many to list. Let's just say I survived and never hurt anyone.

Without reading any further, this pretty much sums it up for me also.

I feel lucky to be alive when I "reflect" with my old buddies.

Rolling_Thunder

hmmmm   I've done alot of stupid things...    and yes i'm still a teenager...     so...     with that being said - the most memorable times were

1) Getting pulled over by LAX twice in one day for doing 90+
2) fitting 13 people in the Charger and leaving a party right before the police showed up

Dumbest thing ever ???   

Letting my friend Amanda drive my car...     
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

73-charger-383

i'm still pretty young, and still lots of dumb.  Now that i have a kid i've settled down some.
About 10 years ago i was driving to high school in my hopped up 67 chevy pickup.  Well, there was a combine going down the highway, and was directly in the middle of the road.  He must not have seen me cause i followed for at least a mile before i decided to "take em in the ditch".  I slowed WAY down and took a run at it.  When i flew past him at about 80 i came up and just barely clipped an approach, but it was enough to shoot me across the highway, then sideways before i recovered.  --i still laugh when i think of what that farmer must have saw.....lucky i didn't die.

TruckDriver

Quote from: rare69 on January 16, 2006, 07:55:49 PM
well my right foot went way down and the red and blues came on. and they slowly disappeared, until the turn off.

Ha, I lost my license too for 6 months from street racing in my '74 Nova that had a built 327 in it and 4.11 rears. The cop busted me in front of my parents house as I was getting out of the car. I never ever saw him anywhere. He asked me how fast I was going, and I really don't know cause I never looked to see. The cop told me he gave up on chasing me cause I lost him. He said all he knew was that my car was a blue Nova, and was going like a bat out of hell. By chance, he just happened to turn down the street I lived on and saw me getting out of the car. He was pretty pissed needless to say. This was my Nova.

A little foot note to this story though, I traded this car for my 1st Mopar car, my Aspen R/T. The guy I traded it to, his dad took it out one day, and passing someone, lost control of it and flipped it over about 6 times they figured. He lived though.
PETE

derailed

I did tons of stupid things when I was young and sometimes still do, wait no forget that part. My first car was a 1980 Subaru hatchback. I can remember 4 of us riding in that car on back roads and veering off the road and getting airborn a couple of times just for the hell of it. We would take it  in the sandpits and go hill climbing with it, rolled it a couple of times and pushed it back on its wheels and drive it home. My Mom asked me what happened to the roof and I told her a tree limb fell on it. Finally hit a log and ripped the front axles out of it. Thats when i bought my 64 Lemans. I can remember doing 120 in that car on roads I wouldnt even do 80 on now. Outran the cops in a neighborhood development once, miracle I never lost my license. This is my first Lemans which I sold to go to CDL school.

rebelgtp

Quote from: DodgeChargerGuy on January 16, 2006, 07:54:10 PM
Quote from: rebelgtp on January 16, 2006, 07:34:57 PM
one i was working as a lot lizard at the local porsche dealer when i was 17

Maybe you don't know this, but "Lot Lizard" is a common slang used by us truck drivers for a hooker  :D

And that is no joke.

lol nope i didn't know that one.  as i'm sure you figured out i meant i was the one that did all the stuff no one else wanted to do...wash the cars, lug parts, clean the shop, clean the lot...think i was getting $6.50 an hour no wonder i was so happy when i would get a tip from a customer lol...however also got hit on alot by rich women with really nice cars ah those were the days lol

chrisII

i let my girlgriend at the time take my 74 charger to her high school graduation   ???  she had driven it before , with me in the car. i was later told that the cops had her at 90+ and thinking it was me didnt chase (the car did 100 in second gear). i was pissed cuz i got yelled at for somehing i didnt do.  shuld have dumped her then.
  i can remember going 100+ in my dads 79 aspen with 4 friends in the car. and doing about 90 in a L6 van with really low gears. looking over an telling the guy in the pass seat that if it blew the parts were coming out his side..he gets up at 90+ an climbs in the back seat.
  i loved top end it is amazing i lived past 18. i only had like 2 friends who werent terrified to ride with me, and those had sen that i wasnt crazy i was good.

bull

The following was all done without the use of seat belts and occurred between age 18-20:

I jumped a '74 AMC Hornet over some raised RR tracks with three other guys in the car. We probably only flew 30 feet and got maybe 15 feet in the air but man it hit hard.

I jumped my '70 Charger over a banked corner from a cross street. I had to run a stop sign at the intersection to be going fast enough to catch air.

I raced a Kawasaki Ninja in my '70 Charger. We got up to about 120 mph and both just about lost it when we entered a 35 mph corner at about 70 mph at the end of the race. I also raced a '69 Camaro and a Mazda RX7 on the same road. The Mazda and I matched at about 130 and neither pulled away. The Charger smoked the Camaro quite handily.

On that same road I smoked one tire (no Sure Grip) in the '70 for about 100 feet but I did it slalom style between the center dotted lines.

A friend and I routinely crawled from the back of his pickup to the front via the side passenger door while moving on pavement. But I don't think we ever got over 45 mph or so.

Rode wheelies and jumped my Honda XL 500 probably 30 times a month or more. The last time I did a wheelie was when it came over on me while doing a wheelie on pavement. I didn't think it would have enough torque to maintain the wheelie while shifting from 2-3 so I gunned it, but surprise! It had enough torque and then some. Blew out my knee and scored some road rash.

Steve P.

I don't remember much from my younger years. Only that I had to go to a different state to get a new license. The judge in New York ripped mine to shreds while laughing and reading my driving record out loud. He said something about 25. I was only 18.  :icon_smile_sad: I had heard Illinois didn't have computers in their DMV yet so off I went... I have only had 1 speeding ticket since.

Oh, and I (contributed to the policemans society) in North Carolina last June. That bastard nailed me doing 94 in a 60 going home for my grandfathers funeral..  :flame:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Dodge-Charger

besides road racing and party hoping I would say the next thing would be Stump Jumping by the Cape fear river down in Fayetteville. There was a spot we used to go and party till we couldnt walk no more. Well the game was to see who could get the closest to the edge without going in. This was done on a 15-20' drop off by the river. The rules were 1 you had to hit a stump or jump it for the run to count. 2 you had to turn the truck sideways for the run to count. 3 if you went in to the river you lost. We had alot of trucks got beat all to H%!! turning over on thier sides , flipping over and so on. ( we had a buddy that worked in a glass shop so glass was cheap  ;D ) Anyway I had a 78 Chevy 4X4 short bed, and as far as I know its still in the cape,,,,,,,,, along with a few others. Its amazing how long some of those trucks float.
  As to the bike thing, we liked to see who could run over our buddies ricers with our dirt bikes. Most little ricers had low front ends and it was fun to see if we could do what we saw in the movies. Bring the front wheel off the ground and with a good running start we could get over some of the cars. These were those great $200 " so what " cars you could get from the inner city guys.

Ahhhhhh wouldnt it be great to be a young teen again ?

TruckDriver

Quote from: bull on January 16, 2006, 11:24:11 PM
I jumped a '74 AMC Hornet over some raised RR tracks with three other guys in the car. We probably only flew 30 feet and got maybe 15 feet in the air but man it hit hard.

I did that once with my '73 Mustang I had. But it wasn't on purpose. Me and a friend were driving down another road that we never drove on before to go look at another '73 Mustang that a different friend told us about, that was at a garage that was wrecked. I was doing about 60mph (there was no posted limit) when we came up on some RR tracks. There was no stop sign by them. But just as I said to my friend, "I better slow down a bit cause these tracks might be a bit ruff", we were air born! The road literarally drop about 4 feet as soon as you crossed the tracks. No signs indicating it either. All a sudden, the car got real lite, I remember looking down, and it seemed another car could of easily drove under us! After we landed HARD, we stopped on the side of the road and just sat in the car for a bit. We tried to get out, and I actually had to roll my window up so I could pull myself out of the car cause my legs didn't wanna work. Talk about having the crap scared out of you! The car survived it, although it flattened my muffler good, and blew some shocks. That was in 1983. Now today, they got stop signs there and hill signs. My guess, I wasn't the only one who did that.
PETE

Arigmaster

There are just too many things to list on here... I am suprised that I even reached my 20's and now that I'm in my 4...err uhh...nevermind...Old enough to know better... and no longer young and impressionable.  :icon_smile_big:

Prior to having my license, my friends and i would grab anything that would roll and would take it down this very steep hill near where we lived. (these were things like shopping carts, furniture dollies, mechanics crawlers, etc.) The "rules" were that you couldn't have a steering mechanism of any kind. (body weight or feet only) The trick was at the bottom of the hill where there was a small bridge over a creek attached to a pond. Right at the bridge the road made a 45 degree bend to the left around a very large tree between the road and banks of the pond. Let's just say... That had we not made it through this and many other stunts we pulled a that time it would have surely made the Darwin Awards List.

Then, we got our drivers licenses!!!!   :scared:

Orange_Crush

Myself and a certain young female are having "relations" on the hood of her dad's Maserati Quattroporte and we dented it.  Try explaining that one to dad.

hit 65MPH in a Dodge Shadow on the cart paths of a PGA golf course that was being built here in Charlotte.

Driving my friend's LT-1-powered primered 52 Chevy home from a bar blind drunk...because he figured HE was too drunk to drive. 
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

Neal_J

Waay back in 1980, my best friend and I were late for high school and were speeding make a left turn to beat the light.  He fishtailed the car (his grandma's Olds Omega), overcorrected which fishtailed the other way right into the curb and bent the right rear wheel.  We swapped on the spare and later ditched the bent wheel off a pier into the San Francisco Bay.  Fortunately, his grandma never noticed the missing spare.

Peace,

Neal J.

Old Moparz

It's amazing how few stories of driving stupid there are that weren't alcohol related, myself included. One that I can think of without alcohol was with my 1969 Hearse that had "weak" brakes. I must have been 18 or 19 with no money for car repairs, just gasoline. Of course the car needed a master cylinder, but that would dip into what little savings I had to upgrade the car stereo. Besides, as long as you pumped the pedal it would stop, & that bought me some time to save a few more bucks so I can get it fixed.

Pumping your brakes works fine, but not in an emergency situation where there's barely enough time to even react, let alone pump the pedal a few times. I was with my friend Jack cruising the main street one town over from us, & listening to the new stereo I had bought with brake repair money. I won't forget what we were listening to, Credence Clearwater Revival because that was the only thing I had that Jack liked.

We were looking over at some girls walking along when Jack yelled BUUUUS!!   :o  & grabbed the dashboard. When I looked up I saw the ass end of a stopped bus directly in front of us. There was no time to pump the pedal, no time to hit the pedal, & no room to stop even if the pedal had worked. Luckily there was no oncoming traffic on this busy two lane road so when I did hit the brakes I cut the wheel to go around the bus.

Now there were oncoming cars as we were skidding sideways at one of the busiest intersections along this road. I reacted by aiming at the side road & flooring it to come out of the skid. It worked! Talk about cool, we had Credence cranking on the stereo, tires squealing, a cloud of smoke, hot women watching, & all at a busy intersection with a crowd of spectators watching a shiny black Hearse doing it. No accident, not even in our pants, but it took Jack 10 minutes to let go of the dashboard.   :smilielol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

General_01

My buddies and I would take my mom's '83 Dodge Omni to the school parking lot in the winter, get up to about 45-55 mph and pull the e-brake handle and do about 5-6 360's across the parking lot. In the summer I would go into a corner "hot" and pull the e-brake and slide it around the corner. One time I did this I slid sideways right through the intersection and took out the stop sign on the other side.

I also routinely did burnouts from stoplights.......in my dad's slant 6 powered, 4-speed '76 Plymouth Volare. Boy was I cool. ::) This was back from '84-'86.

Those were the days. No wonder my dad wouldn't help me by a '72 Dart(think that was the year) with a 318. Imagine the trouble I would have gotten into with that.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

HDCharger

I, like many of you guys am lucky to be alive!

1.  had a few beers before I even got my car license (late 70's)  and raced my Honda 650 Custom against a Cevy Nova.  Almost lost it doing in excess of 100mph.

2.  1984 in my 1968 Charger R/T in I-65N out of Birmingham, ALA a guy in a 68 or 69 Chevelle 396 wanted to run so I obliged him and the last thing he saw was my tailights.  In excess of 130 or at least that is what the old speedometer showed.

3.  Riding my brother in laws Kawasaki 1100 Spectre with a buddy who had a Honda 550 four we met a county doing about 80 so there was no way we were going to stop.  We layed down on the bikes and lost him, traveling in excess of 100mph.

4.  Rode with an idiot late at night on a rural country road as the turned the lights off and went through a 4 way at about 80.  (Never rode with that fool again)

Countless other close calls.  As you get older and see your friends die (and go to War) you realize you are NOT invincible.
MSG, US Army, Retired
1973 Charger SE
1976 Stepside Powerwagon
2007 Ram 1500 Laramie
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
1967 Dodge Truck