News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 Charger Center Console Gap

Started by dodgedarren, September 22, 2011, 01:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodgedarren

I can't seem to get my gaps to line up for the door on the center console.
Its flush even with the shifter top plate but the rear is way off.
Any suggestions???

Domino

When in doubt, loosen EVERYTHING up and try again  :-\

twodko

My 69 is the same way. I loosened everything up, then put a level on the console, both inline and at 90*. Turns out the whole console was twisted. I bored a new hole in the console's front mounting tab (to lower it) and shimmed the driver's side rear mounting point. Put it all back together and found it was now straight and level but the door was still binding at the front. I can't seem to get this door functioning properly yet. My next idea was to lightly sand/grind the front edge of the console door.......haven't got there yet because I'm hesitant to grind on the door. :shruggy:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

68neverlate

Yup, same with my '68.  I've been tweaking as well and have improved it somewhat.  Still have a ways to go yet.  Will let you know if I come across a magical cure...   :yesnod:

68 RT

Look like your hinge is bent, had same problem on my 68. Replaced it and it is fine now.

twodko

That was my first thought too so I removed it and found it to be flat and straight.  :shruggy:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

charger Downunder

My 70 is bad been like it for years. Its a common thing with these cars.
[/quote]

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: charger Downunder on September 23, 2011, 08:36:21 PM
Sadly I concur.... :rotz:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

tan top

Quote from: twodko on September 22, 2011, 06:22:00 PM
My 69 is the same way. I loosened everything up, then put a level on the console, both inline and at 90*. Turns out the whole console was twisted. I bored a new hole in the console's front mounting tab (to lower it) and shimmed the driver's side rear mounting point. Put it all back together and found it was now straight and level but the door was still binding at the front. I can't seem to get this door functioning properly yet. My next idea was to lightly sand/grind the front edge of the console door.......haven't got there yet because I'm hesitant to grind on the door. :shruggy:

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on September 24, 2011, 07:07:30 AM
Quote from: charger Downunder on September 23, 2011, 08:36:21 PM
Sadly I concur.... :rotz:

:yesnod:

completely dismantled the centre console ! & built it back up elongating holes  etc etc !! even got the console lid fitting good ::)  well levelish compared to the normal  :yesnod:  thought ha sorted that out !!  but screwing it to the floor twists the console out of alignment ! needs shimming to the floor / console brackets !! , started thinking about making/ looking for shims !  , but could not be bothered at the time ,( as after all that work on the console i was back to square one fitting crap  :icon_smile_blackeye:!) just wanted to put the car back to geather after the resto !! & the console was the third to last piece to fit before it was finished ( well never finished are they :lol:! just all put back togeather) ,  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

TexasStroker

Mine lines up great!

The hinge is worn and a few nuts are missing...you can position it where ever you want  :lol:

I honestly think yours (OP) isn't too bad...it'll bother you as the owner, but most people won't ride you too hard about it...Might try what was mentioned here and then just spend a little time with it.  As long as the door opens and closes I think you will be fine.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

Dino

Mine does the same as well, I realligned it just enough so it doesn't bind anywhere so it opens and closes perfect, just doesn't look perfect.  I'll tackle it when I redo the interior and will also shim the console so it's no longer twisted.  I'm sure I can get the door to fit properly by just enlarging a few holes in the hinges but for now it's functional.

The easiest fix for yours is enlarging the holes of the hinges where they meet the console door.  With the door open you want the door bolts to go down towards the floor more, when you close the door it means it slides toward the passenger side. 

What kind of nuts did they use on these doors anyway?  Mine get fairly tight but not very tight. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.