News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Another WWII aircraft goes down, this time taking out several air show fans

Started by bull, September 16, 2011, 10:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44556695/ns/us_news-life/?gt1=43001 :o

The Galloping Ghost P51 does a nosedive into the crowd at the Reno Air Races, killing the pilot, two fans (so far) and injuring 75.

It's circled in this pic below from video someone shot just before it hit the deck:

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

hemi-hampton

bull

Quote from: hemi-hampton on September 16, 2011, 11:51:17 PM
Pilot was 74 years old. I wonder if he could drive car?

:scratchchin: They kept saying he was 80 in those news videos. Well, it was either he or the plane that failed and I kind of suspect it was the plane. Either way I doubt there's enough left of either one of them to figure out which one caused it.

EDIT: Yea, now I see stories that put the number injured at 56 and that the pilot was 74 like you said.

tan top

Quote from: hemi-hampton on September 16, 2011, 11:51:17 PM
Pilot was 74 years old. I wonder if he could drive car?

makes you wonder !!

thats sad RIP  ,  if he was that age !!! wonder if he had a black out , with the G forces in turning & stuff :scratchchin:  although  might have well been  mechanical fault  :scratchchin: :popcrn:

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Tilar

Man thats bad. I doubt he would have blacked out. His medical records were all up to date according to the news. I'd guess something happened to the controls, maybe linkage or something to do with the elevator.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Brock Samson

He called in a MAYDAY and wrestled the plane further from the stands - front row spectators say they thought they saw him exerting tremendous effort on the stick...

Troy

Sad all around. The pilot not only has to pass the regular FAA medical exams but also needs to pass special training/tests to compete in the races. I'm sure he wasn't the typical 74 year old driving 50 in the fast lane with pop bottle glasses and molasses like reflexes. The plane is hardly stock. Those things are highly customized race-only machines and see constant maintenance/inspection. However, when you flying at max performance close to the ground and spectators things can go wrong in a hurry.

One article I read was saying that it looked like the plane lost a trim tab on the tail. I can clearly see the left elevator trim tab is missing in these photos:
http://news.yahoo.com/photos/air-race-crash-in-reno-1316226189-slideshow/;_ylt=ArYHZV5slC59u7FTD0JrUWBtzwcF;_ylu=X3oDMTQ3cDRycjFkBG1pdANVUyBGZWF0dXJlZCBMZWZ0IFJhaWwEcGtnA2Q3N2I5N2NlLTJjNWUtMzNiYi1iOGViLTZjMjdlMzJhZjcyYQRwb3MDMQRzZWMDTWVkaWFGZWF0dXJlZExpc3QEdmVyA2MwZTM4YTJhLWUxMmUtMTFlMC05OWU5LTBmYmJhYTk1ODkyZg--;_ylg=X3oDMTJyMWViZ3AwBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDNzY4NTQxNDUtMDBiNC0zMTc1LTk2ZGUtYmU5NTFmYTkwNWIxBHBzdGNhdAN1cwRwdANzdG9yeXBhZ2UEdGVzdAM-;_ylv=3#crsl=%252Fphotos%252Fair-race-crash-in-reno-1316226189-slideshow%252Fp-51-mustang-airplane-shown-upside-down-crashing-photo-031625912.html

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bajaherbie

those reno air racers are just crazy IMO... guy probably had a grin on his face.

aren't those p-51's worth at least a million bucks? i think jack roush of nascar fame has a p-51 in one of his many hangars!

my dad flew B-24 Liberators in WW2 as a navy pilot.. learned to fly in a Stearman bi-plane and eventually was on german submarine patrol while based somewhere in england.

Brock Samson

68RRFlyer

Quote from: bajaherbie on September 17, 2011, 03:53:22 PM
those reno air racers are just crazy IMO... guy probably had a grin on his face.
[/b]

You care to elaborate some more on this tasteless remark please?
Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1964 Corvette Convertible
1949 Chevy 3100

bull

Quote from: 68RRFlyer on September 17, 2011, 05:34:21 PM
Quote from: bajaherbie on September 17, 2011, 03:53:22 PM
[/b]

You care to elaborate some more on this tasteless remark please?

Not trying to defend anyone because the remark can go either way, but I assume he meant that the pilot was having a ball BEFORE things went horribly wrong. :shruggy:

By the way, the death toll is up to 9 now. I wonder how many people lost limbs, eyes, etc. What a mess. :P

68RRFlyer

Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1964 Corvette Convertible
1949 Chevy 3100

64dartgt

There is a team that has a Mustang, a B-17 and B-24 coming to our area in about ten days.  You can tour the planes for about $12, go up in a bomber for about $450 or in the 2 seater Mustang for $2200.  I was talking to my Wife about how cool it would be to go up in a WW2 bomber...but this certainly is sobering.

Poor guy.  I heard he was calling out Mayday's and I am sure he did everything he could to save the fans.   :2thumbs:

69rtse4spd

:'(,very sad indeed, but I am sure he probably saved some lives if he was steering away from stands as best he could. 

skip68

This is a friend of mine. I worked for her aerobatics team when they did a convention in Reno for sponsors! But she has a home in the airpark community where i worked! Her name is Julie Clark. (check archives for her impressive history!)  Mrs.skip68 ;)
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

bull

Aside from the crash, part of me hates what these guys are doing to these old war birds. To me it's worse taking a classic Charger and modifying it to the point of nonrecognition to run in a top fuel drag race. Yea, yea, the guy owns it and he can do what he wants but these planes are a huge part of history and a war that basically saved the world. Tons of modifications were made to the Galloping Ghost, among them they cut the wingspan by 10 feet, they trimmed the ailerons by nearly 30 inches and then they run these planes nearly 100 mph faster than they were capable of in the 1940s. I agree that outside a museum they are kind of useless if they aren't being flown, like a trailer queen Charger, but on the other hand is it any better to carve them up to the point they have become something else?

Drache

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Troy

Quote from: Drache on September 19, 2011, 12:36:42 AM
wasnt there a P51 that crashed at reno back in 2010?
Even this particular P51 has crashed at Reno before (a long time ago). It happens. P51s are popular for racing and there have been a lot of crashes so it wouldn't surprise me if there have been several P51s that have crashed at Reno.

Most of the articles I have read prove that the reporters know little or nothing about air racing so some of the "facts" that they find important to tell the world (ie hype) aren't really that big of a deal. Yes, the plane was modified. It races in the "Unlimited" class so it and every other plane it races against very heavily modified (Formula One racing in the sky basically). The plane has been modified for racing since 1946 when it was bought as surplus from the government. So basically, it hasn't really been "stock" since then (and possibly not even during war time if it saw any action). There are stock classes in air racing but this isn't one of those.

Troy

Troy

bull

I wonder how many wartime P51s are left?

This is somewhat random but the sound of those supercharged V-1650 Merlin engines is super-sexy. :yesnod: I still prefer the sound of a throaty V8 but the Merlin V12 is a very close 2nd.

Troy

Quote from: bull on September 19, 2011, 02:15:12 PM
I wonder how many wartime P51s are left?
Here, you can count them (not sure if they are all listed but it's pretty comprehensive):
http://www.warbirdregistry.org/p51registry/p51registry.html

In 2007 one of the sites dedicated to them showed 156 flyable, 57 static, 51 under restoration, and 21 in storage. This is their current list:
http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51/p51survivors/?lid=54814680&page=List_with_Pics

Not all of those are flyable - you have to look at the details of each.

Troy

bull

Quote from: Troy on September 19, 2011, 02:23:56 PM
In 2007 one of the sites dedicated to them showed 156 flyable, 57 static, 51 under restoration, and 21 in storage. This is their current list:
http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51/p51survivors/?lid=54814680&page=List_with_Pics

Not all of those are flyable - you have to look at the details of each.

Troy

Wow, that's a lot less than I thought there would be. I figured there must be 1,500 or a couple thousand of them still around. :-\

Makes me wonder how many Spitfires are left now. I wonder if the Brits get as crazy about those as we do about the Mustangs? The Mustang is a lot better looking IMO.

Ponch ®

Looks like there will now be 10 empty chairs at the breakfast table.

Whatever the cause of the accident turns out to be (mechanical failure, pilot error, etc) I don't think a 74 year old has ANY business flying a plane, let alone the equivalent, as Troy said, of a Formula 1 car.

I say this every time the "should old people be allowed to drive" topic comes up: set a maximum age (in fact, the FAA already does for commercial pilots) at which their driving / flying privilege gets taken away, regardless of whether they're not your "typical" 74 year old. I know it seems draconian, but we have to have to some sort of limit. Think of it the other way around: I'm sure there are quite a few 11 year olds capable of driving a car far more responsibly than a lot of adults, but no one ever argues that they should be given a license and be allowed on to drive on public roads because they're not "typical' 11 year olds - they still have to wait til they're 16 to get their license.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West