News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Epoxying a head

Started by Highbanked Hauler, September 02, 2011, 09:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

Lookin at an 11 to 1 compression  340 engine and a set of W2 heads on epay and in the ad it reads the floor of the exhaust port  has been epoxied to "raise it".  Now I am not an engine person but the two words epoxy and exhaust port in the same sentence don't sound right.  Any ideas? :shruggy:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Cooter

Epoxys have been used for a long time in racing...That's just it RACING...If the engine swallows a chunk, who cares, you'll be tearing it down in a couple passes anyway...

With all the aluminum heads out now for the small block, They'd have to be some badass heads in order to sell.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

A383Wing

if the epoxy comes off, and it;s in the exhaust port..it would go into the manifold or header anyway, wouldn't it?

Cooter

Quote from: A383Wing on September 02, 2011, 09:51:25 PM
if the epoxy comes off, and it;s in the exhaust port..it would go into the manifold or header anyway, wouldn't it?

Depends on when it comes a loose. Remember at idle there's reversion of exhaust flow back into the intake manifold, causing that famous, highly saught after "Lopey" idle and when reversion occurs, there's exhaust being pulled back into the cylinder.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

firefighter3931

Personally,

I'd avoid any head that had epoxy in the ports if i planned to street drive it. The ethanol in today's pump gas will weaken the epoxy and cause it to break free and ruin your day.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

frederick

Ask 'em which epoxy they used.
I know Belzona 1111 and A788 Splash Zone by Z-spar are OK with E85 and Methanol.

These are not cheap so if they used anything else I'd be very cautious!

And even with those surface prep is still very important.

Frederick

Highbanked Hauler

Thanks gang, this guy  said the heads had been ported so I was wondering if it was done to repair a cut to repair a water leak, and with what little I know about engines it doesn't sound good.  This thing is supposed to be putting out 700 hp. so there can't be muck room for mistakes.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser