News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The Drive Angry Charger

Started by Ghoste, August 05, 2011, 10:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I've seen a lot of pics of Amber Heard sitting in or standing in front of the car and there is no way I could complain about that!  But, have we ever discussed the car itself on here?  I don't recall doing so and a search turned up nothing.  Does anyone know any more about the car?  Who it belongs to, where is it now, how many did they use?  I notice the beat the hell out of it for the film (of course  ::) ) but it seems like it should have survived??

Khyron

It's getting jumpped at the next Duke Fest *chuckle*

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Ghoste

I'd laugh but it's within the realm of possible. :o

kab69440

I've read they are repaired Death Proof leftovers.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Ghoste

Makes sense, it looks to have a flat black paint scheme.

Drache

Amber Heard Interview

Popular Mechanics: Did you have a favorite car in the movie?

Amber: Yeah, you know, I really love that Charger. I'd kill for that Charger.

Popular Mechnics: They get banged up in the movie, though. Was it painful to watch what was being done to them?

Amber: Yeah, it hurts a little, especially when they're such beautiful machines.

Popular Mechnics: Patrick told me that the Chargers were pretty much okay, at the end of filming.

Amber: Yeah, remarkably so. Those old cars, they were made so differently before the industry was super regulated and confined. They made these hunking pieces of steel machinery that are so much sturdier than the modern car. It blows me away.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Drache

Anyone else notice too there were no vent windows on the charger?  :shruggy:

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

elanmars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLeeHoOPvc4

^the car seeing action. i don't mind it getting banged up, at least it wasn't DESTROYED! it was a very awesome awful movie overall, I could see it gaining a cult status among b-movie aficionados.
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

morepower

Quote from: Drache on August 05, 2011, 12:24:07 PM
Amber Heard Interview

Popular Mechanics: Did you have a favorite car in the movie?

Amber: Yeah, you know, I really love that Charger. I'd kill for that Charger.

Popular Mechnics: They get banged up in the movie, though. Was it painful to watch what was being done to them?

Amber: Yeah, it hurts a little, especially when they're such beautiful machines.

Popular Mechnics: Patrick told me that the Chargers were pretty much okay, at the end of filming.

Amber: Yeah, remarkably so. Those old cars, they were made so differently before the industry was super regulated and confined. They made these hunking pieces of steel machinery that are so much sturdier than the modern car. It blows me away.

That interview makes me love her even more
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

xpbprox

Quote from: Drache on August 05, 2011, 12:26:13 PM

I like the custom delete they did  :2thumbs:

kab69440

Anyone else notice too there were no vent windows on the charger?

Anyone notice that the Death Proof Challenger had vent windows?
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

THE CHARGER PUNK

Quote from: kab69440 on August 06, 2011, 06:30:49 PM
Anyone else notice too there were no vent windows on the charger?

Anyone notice that the Death Proof Challenger had vent windows?

Had window frames so that they could use it for the scene in the script.

doctor4766

Quote from: xpbprox on August 06, 2011, 03:53:29 PM

Look at pic two.
That plexiglass window looks sucky with the door shut
Gotta love a '69

knitz01

Just seen the movie tonight. Liked it very much  :2thumbs:. I like the no vent windows too.

Kern Dog

I prefer the vent windows in the 68-70 Chargers. The ventless car in "Drive Angry" looked okay though. The Tarantino POS movie car Challenger looked really stupid with the fake window frames. I noticed it right away and thought... What the hell??
I like seeing our classics onscreen, but I cringe when they feel compelled to destroy them.

MRCHARGER

If the Charger is going to be a tough car, which it is, it has to scrap it up now and then. Studios only use total junkers anyway, so I say " they bought their tickets, let 'em crash".

Mike DC

QuoteThe Tarantino POS movie car Challenger looked really stupid with the fake window frames. I noticed it right away and thought... What the hell??

The chick-riding-on-the-hood scene necessitated that.  The belt straps for her hands are only possible with a car that had window frames or vent windows to attach the belts.

morepower

they should have just did the whole movie w/o the side windows that'd look better. I think the car could look good w/o the vent windows. I like them though
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

bull

Not sure now how I didn't notice that this 69 had no wing wondow, Drache. Or maybe I did and just forgot. :shruggy: Anyway, nice car.

Kern Dog

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 07, 2011, 11:43:51 AM
QuoteThe Tarantino POS movie car Challenger looked really stupid with the fake window frames. I noticed it right away and thought... What the hell??

The chick-riding-on-the-hood scene necessitated that.  The belt straps for her hands are only possible with a car that had window frames or vent windows to attach the belts.

Thanks, but I WAS aware of that. QT could have used another car, maybe a Chevy, Buick or Mercury with window frames.

kab69440

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on August 09, 2011, 12:57:05 AM

Thanks, but I WAS aware of that. QT could have used another car, maybe a Chevy, Buick or Mercury with window frames.

Unfortunately, none of those cars work with the Vanishing Point fantasy sub-plot. Oh well, what can you do?

WANT TO BUY:

Thank you,    Kenny

elanmars

my 2nd Charger and 1st '69 had that look going...

1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

...just rented this flick tonight, not what I expected  :popcrn:

Interesting movie, but glad I only paid a dollar at the automated DVD dispenser/rental box  :Twocents:

aussiemuscle

Quote from: kab69440 on August 05, 2011, 11:01:58 AM
I've read they are repaired Death Proof leftovers.
i doubt that, not much but a pile of junk after tarentino. plus there's been a few on here claiming THEY bought them at the end of deathproof.

Anyone else notice too there were no vent windows on the charger?  :shruggy:
kinda like the aussie 73 charger (they had a vent window for 71-72)

MaximRecoil

Quote from: doctor4766 on August 06, 2011, 06:53:06 PM
Quote from: xpbprox on August 06, 2011, 03:53:29 PM

Look at pic two.
That plexiglass window looks sucky with the door shut

I watched this movie again last night, and those door windows aren't plexiglass, at least not generic plexiglass sheet from the local glass shop. They have a slight curve like real door windows and they are functional (there is a scene that shows the passenger window being rolled down).

Is there any other car they could have gotten those door windows from, or were they definitely custom made?

A few other things I noticed about the car:

I don't know if both of their high beam filaments in their outer headlights are blown or if it is a case of miswiring. Or maybe they are two different cars, with one being wired correctly and the other being miswired.

More electrical oddities:

Six brake lights, plus no backup lights:

1968 gas cap; looks brand new. Did someone order the wrong one?