News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ignition Problem of some sort !

Started by Canadian1968, August 04, 2011, 09:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian1968

I have been searching threw post for the last hour, but hard to find a solid answer to my question!!!

Here is the situation.  Pulled car out of the storage , started fine drove home no problems.
Replaced radiator, started car up to look for leaks ect, no problems.  Dont' touch the car till next weekend, try to start it and can't get it to fire. Plenty of spin but just won't start.  Checking all wires under the hood, bascially just making sure everything is connected ect. Trace wire from positive terminal on battery to wire harness on fire wall, discconect and cleaned up that connection. Turn the key and fires right up .  Did not drive the car, to late and just went to bed. 

Get back to the car couple weeks later. Battery is almost dead, needed to hook up charger to get it turn over but fired after  couple tries. Another week passes and when I go back the batter is dead again, once agian boost battery and eventually get the car started. Car does not seem to be runing right , but just needed to turn it around in the drive way. Turn the key off and try to start again, right away and batter is dead again.

So I probably need a new battery but I think there is some other issues here. What can I test to narrow things down here !!

I can test the coil correct?  Do I just put a multimeter between the two terminals of the coil and should read 12v in start position right? and 9V in Run ?
I can disconnect negative termianl of batter and run metere between cable and terminal I should not get any volts correct?
How do I test the alternator?

What else can I check. Was reading about starting switch and fuesabel link?? but got confused !!

The car is a 68 Charger 440 By the way

Chryco Psycho

if the car will stay running once you get it fired up , you shut it off & the battery is dead then the Alt has to be working .
Change the battery First , , if it is bad the alt will not put out enough power to run everything & overcome a short in the battery .
The coil is probably fine , it is starting even with low voltage

dodgechar

sounds like batterys bad,  might check ground wire  neutral safty switch to  starter relay.  bad ground iffy starts.  auto zone can check alternator on car while running. OR  off car. As well as battery.