News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Plastic Rechrome recomendations

Started by DC_1, July 31, 2011, 07:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DC_1

Any recommendations on getting plastic parts re chromed. I know some in the past used CV that is no longer around. Other threads I read had mixed reviews on Auto Instrument. What about the place I see advertising in MCG called  Mr G's out of Texas, anyone ever use them?

http://www.mrgusa.com/rechrome.htm

ITSA426

I've had good luck with Mr G's.  I've used them several times and I'd use them again.  The work costs what they say it will, and the turnarounds have always been quick.  That's my experience with them.

Charger1970

I would not recommend Mr G's. And I would highly recommend someone besides Auto Instruments. After sending my instrument panel back several times I finally settled with what I would call 'good driver quality'.
1970 Charger 500
2015 Challenger SRT

bull

Sometimes it depends on what part you're talking about but price-wise it's usually a wash between buying new and having originals replated.

DC_1

Quote from: bull on July 31, 2011, 11:45:56 PM
Sometimes it depends on what part you're talking about but price-wise it's usually a wash between buying new and having originals replated.

I was thinking that too Bull. I already bought new arm rest bases instead of rechroming. I want to do my dash bezels now. I was going to buy the dash bezel kit from BEandA but my car has A/C and i would still need to find someone to rechrome the vents. From a price stand point I thought getting everything rechromed would be more attractive to a company then just doing the A/C vents

peepsrock

I can recommend GCAR, www.gcartrim.com.  Been a couple of years since I used him, but he did good work for me back then.

Especially liked that he did EVERYTHING for my 67 dash bezel (including the center pod lenses), stuff that Mr. G's doesn't do (or at least didn't the last time I checked).

bill440rt

I've used American Plastic Chrome quite a bit in the past. Parts have always turned out nice for me.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

DrHemi

I wish I knew the stuff they showed Jay Leno using on My Classic Car. You could chrome anything with it.
1938 Packard 120
1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk
1963 Ford Fairlane 500
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (RIP due to code enforcement)
1970 Dodge Charger 500
1972 MG Midget
1987 Maserati BiTurbo Si

706pkvert

DC_1

Quote from: 706pkvert on August 02, 2011, 04:48:26 PM
www.instrument-specialties.com

We restore all plastic chrome bezels show quality.

Mike

What's the cost to do the 68 Charger bezel set? I don't see it priced anywhere on your web site

Musicman

Quote from: 706pkvert on August 02, 2011, 04:48:26 PM
www.instrument-specialties.com

We restore all plastic chrome bezels show quality.

Mike

Hey... Your just up the road from me, so to speak... 30 minutes tops  ;D

There's suppose to be another Chrome shop up your way that does the metal parts, trim, bumpers, etc... Barry's Garage over in Preston uses them for restorations.

moparstuart

i used mr g's to do my chrome bezel around my speedo on my 69 road runner , been done for 15 years now and still looks great
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

706pkvert

Hi,

A complete 5 piece Charger set runs about $600 to strip, prep, chrome & detail paint, ready to install. A little bit more than the repros but you can rest easy knowing you have original MADE IN USA parts back on your American muscle car.

moparstuart

Quote from: 706pkvert on August 03, 2011, 02:00:35 PM
Hi,

A complete 5 piece Charger set runs about $600 to strip, prep, chrome & detail paint, ready to install. A little bit more than the repros but you can rest easy knowing you have original MADE IN USA parts back on your American muscle car.
and will fit  , my 8 track radio bezel repop fits like crap 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE