News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which way to go...

Started by myk, July 27, 2011, 04:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk

Hey guys, I've spent the last couple of years trying to get out of debt, and it's finally about to happen in a matter of months.  During this time I've thought about how I'd like to start investing into my '69 Charger but I'm not sure which way to go about it.  

The main problem is that over the years sitting outdoors the car has started developing rust issues, such as the typical rear window panel/area, tail panel, and lower rear fenders.  It's not bad but I know it's only going to get worse.  I drive the car about once a week, but I noticed that it's definitely time for new rubber.  Currently I'm running 15" wheels (245/60/15) but I've been thinking about getting 17" Torq Thrust wheels.  

Now, I know I need the new tires to keep the car driving, but the rust issue is REALLY starting to get me worried.  These are the options I'm mulling over:

*Buy replacement tires for the current wheels, and start saving money to deal with the rust issues.  Replace the tires/wheels later.

*Buy the new wheel/tire set up and then start saving up for the body work.  

*Buy a Prius.

I think the most logical option is buying tires to keep the car on the road, while saving for bodywork because the rust issues are more important than pretty new wheels.  BUT.....I don't want to drop hundreds of dollars on replacement tires when I'm just going to replace them with another wheel/tire setup somewhere down the road anyway-why waste the money?  Even though I'm out of debt I'll only be able to save about $500 a month for the car which really isn't a lot, so I want to make the most of the money I spend.

In any case, I'd appreciate your input and suggestions.  Thanks in advance...

bobs66440

I would do whatever it takes to get the rust fixed as soon as possible. Then find a place indoors to keep it.  :yesnod:

If you can see the rust on the outside, then there is likely much more lurking beneath.

ChargerST

Rust issues are gonna be the most expensive part down the road - so get a decent car cover at least! or better put it in a garage/storage unit whatever.

As for the wheels and tires: I would just get new tires. Why spend big $$$ on wheels if there is a chance that you need the $$$ elsewhere more important like rust issues. I would get the rust damage fixed asap as it gets worse the repair bill will grow exponentially.

just my  :Twocents:

myk

I'll post up some pictures of the rusted areas-I'm sure it's a lot worse than I think it is.  I actually had a thread about it that I posted a few years ago but I can't seem to find it.  I realize that bodywork will be expensive and difficult but I've neglected this car long enough.  If I spent 10K (please lord don't let it be) on bodywork I wouldn't even blink as I'm determined to get this car perfect again.

Thanks for the responses guys...

Richard Cranium

Take out a loan & buy one that's done.  ;)
I am Dr. Remulac

myk

Ha ha, I thought about that but after just climbing out of the debt-gutter after all these years I'm not planning on getting dirty again.  I will TRY to be a cash & carry guy from now on.  No more debt!!!!!

tan top

Quote from: ChargerST on July 27, 2011, 04:51:11 AM
Rust issues are gonna be the most expensive part down the road - so get a decent car cover at least! or better put it in a garage/storage unit whatever.

As for the wheels and tires: I would just get new tires. Why spend big $$$ on wheels if there is a chance that you need the $$$ elsewhere more important like rust issues. I would get the rust damage fixed asap as it gets worse the repair bill will grow exponentially.

just my  :Twocents:

:iagree:
Quote from: myk on July 27, 2011, 05:02:27 AM
I'll post up some pictures of the rusted areas-I'm sure it's a lot worse than I think it is.  I actually had a thread about it that I posted a few years ago but I can't seem to find it.  I realize that bodywork will be expensive and difficult but I've neglected this car long enough.  If I spent 10K (please lord don't let it be) on bodywork I wouldn't even blink as I'm determined to get this car perfect again.

Thanks for the responses guys...

:popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

myk

Alright, bodywork it is.  Quick question guys.  I'm not sure on the width of my rims, as I said before I've got 245's on them, so I wanted to be sure I could run 255's without any issues, as they seem to be the only size I can find at the moment.  255's should be fine, right?

doctor4766

Should be fine. They're probably 7" wide I'm guessing
Gotta love a '69

bobs66440

myk

Bob thanks for the link, that's a highly informative site.  I just wish I knew the diameter of the rim itself, like another poster said, probably 7"...

Rolling_Thunder

Depends on what you want...    if you want the car PERFECT you'll be taking it apart...    so plan on doing a couple other things besides bodywork while it's apart...      so save up twice what you'll think it's going to cost...     you can get wheels and tires now and keep enjoying it - make it perfect later...       

your call
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

myk

I hear ya RT.  I of course WOULD like the car perfect but my bank account would never allow it.  I know I'm just pulling numbers out of my ass but I'm figuring on spending maybe 20K over the next 5 years.  Again I'm just pulling numbers out of nowhere, and I know that 20K is hardly the amount of money that one spends on a car to make it perfect, but it's the best I can do.  My ultimate goal is just to have a clean, straight, strong daily driver, just like the rest of my cars, so perfection isn't necessary.  Hell, being rust free, with a beefed up suspension, all new, modern wiring, good seats up front and the body in primer would be cool with me lol...

Rolling_Thunder

where are you located ?   If you're willing to learn you can save quite a bit of money by doing stuff yourself...       such as repairing the rusted window channel and small body patches...     spot prime and do light body work...    have the whole car repainted later or touch up those areas...          Wiring can be done fairly easy with the knowledge...        suspension is just nuts and bolts...       :2thumbs:     

myk

I'm in San Diego, you're on the east coast, aren't you?  I appreciate the offer though.  The only thing about the car that troubles me is the rust-that's where most of the money will be spent.  You're right, suspension, electrics and all that aren't a problem but I'm a bit of a hack (I'll show you guys my 120 'amp alternator upgrade sometime) so I want a professional touch lol..

Rolling_Thunder

I'm on the West Coast buddy...    up in the Los Angeles area...    I go down to SD every once in a while...    If you ever need a hand over a weekend or something let me know - could use it as an excise to take a short vacation    :2thumbs:

major body and motor man

Just a bit of advice from a professional restoration man, screw the rims, buy cheaper tires and take care of the body asap. Do some research on the net and find a product to stop the rust for now (there are several only a couple of good ones) and save yourself some extra money. Or you could save your money for a few months bring your car out to me when my new shop is put together and you could pay me on a month by month basis and depending on the amount you pay we could progress on your car pretty well. I am located in Southern Colorado and am not a fly by night and will not do a hack job on your car! I've grown up in the business and just decided to venture out on my own when I got tired of all the BS. I'll treat you fair and treat your car as if it were my own pride and joy. If you are interested just send me some pics of the entire car around and underneath and let me know the condition of the trunk pan and floor pans if you know. We will do everything in house so no part of your car will leave my sight. And my wife kids and I do all the work so I know exactly who is working on the cars and not some guy that got hired off the street and may do something stupid or lazy. I'll send you monthly updates of the progress with pictures of the car with me in them so you know it is your car and a monthly list of what we have done. I love chargers and would love to be able to work on yours. The shop is going to be in a nice area and there will be no fear of theft at all. I settled for a small town in order to have the piece of mind that comes with it and being able to get a good nights sleep without running out and checking locks on the shop every hour or so. Let me know. Just email me at caw@gojade.org.
Thanks,
Caleb W. 

xpbprox

Hey myk I'm in San diego also, let me know if you need any help. I'd be glad to help, when I can.

myk

Wow guys thanks for all of the support.  This is why out of the 4 car-message boards I frequent this one always has the best content.
Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on July 31, 2011, 03:18:20 AM
I'm on the West Coast buddy...    up in the Los Angeles area...    I go down to SD every once in a while...    If you ever need a hand over a weekend or something let me know - could use it as an excise to take a short vacation    :2thumbs:

Well if you're ever in town I'm not sure what kind of work we could do on a weekend but you're always welcome to stop by my work and you can have a 1# Fuddrucker's burger on me, lol.

Quote from: major body and motor man on July 31, 2011, 12:29:17 PM
Just a bit of advice from a professional restoration man, screw the rims, buy cheaper tires and take care of the body asap. Do some research on the net and find a product to stop the rust for now (there are several only a couple of good ones) and save yourself some extra money.

A couple of years ago when I noticed the rust I knew I had to do something but didn't have the cash, so I bought some Zero-Rust and Por-15 and treated the rusty areas as much as I could.  My trunk floors are starting to develop some surface rust, though.   Believe it or not, my floor pans are completely rust free-how, I don't know, as every time there's rain the interior gets a little wet. Good luck on your new business by the way.

Quote from: xpbprox on July 31, 2011, 04:16:58 PM
Hey myk I'm in San diego also, let me know if you need any help. I'd be glad to help, when I can.

That's really cool-what part of San Diego are you in?  Well, since I'll be buying replacement tires and attacking the body work first you'll probably see me and the Orange Machine cruising around town...

Rolling_Thunder

we used to have a fuddruckers out here but it vanished...   the closest one is like a 45 min drive from me...         

Well - I have wired a car in a weekend   haha       Pulling an engine, trans, whatever...     I've also stripped an entire car by myself in 8 hours    haha   

myk

R/T that's pretty damn impressive.  Well I might have to take you up on something-rewiring the car from front to back with a painless kit is one of my objectives...

Rolling_Thunder

xpbprox

I live just by eastlake, in Bonita. What about you?
You wanna know something..... I've never seen another charger in person besides my own in my entire life! But I'm a young guy haha
If you need a body shop, i have a friend that's reasonable (sometimes) and if you need a mechanic, i work at a shop up by downtown

myk

Eastlake's supposed to be really nice out there.  Anyway what's the deal with your body-shop buddy?

xpbprox

Yeah eastlake's a little to crowded for me, but the body shop i use has my car right now. It's a friend of a friends, they seems good so far, and they warranty their work for as long as you own the car. I've had them do various work on my daily drivers and they did good. They have been reasonable as far as finishing time and even though they mostly do insurance work, they have not forgot about my car.
So far he's sandblasted it for me, primed, and started body work. He's gonna weld my sub-frame connectors in and close up unnecessary holes in the engine bay then pain.