News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What have I started? Daughter wants Dodge Charger for her first car... Should...

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, July 26, 2011, 08:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bajaherbie

yesterday after school my 16 yr. old son  was driving his 73 charger home from school.... at a stop light he sorta pulled out in front of a lady, she caught up with him and gave him the finger!

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: bajaherbie on October 13, 2011, 12:53:14 PM
yesterday after school my 16 yr. old son  was driving his 73 charger home from school.... at a stop light he sorta pulled out in front of a lady, she caught up with him and gave him the finger!

Thumbs-up, or the "other" finger? :popcrn:

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

aussiemuscle

if i had kids i'd want them to learn in a car that didn't do everything for them. Learn to drive rather than learn to steer.  :scratchchin:

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

I was thinking about this old thread today, as I bought my daughter a Charger a few months ago  :2thumbs:

1969 383 console car, coded with T7 and a tan interior, she has already learned a few things about the mechanical side of these machines.  :coolgleamA:

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on August 03, 2012, 12:09:27 PM
I was thinking about this old thread today, as I bought my daughter a Charger a few months ago  :2thumbs:

1969 383 console car, coded with T7 and a tan interior, she has already learned a few things about the mechanical side of these machines.  :coolgleamA:

She will be a mechanical wiz in a few months! :icon_smile_big:

BBD

DadsCharger00

Quote from: azfrench on July 27, 2011, 12:44:55 AM
I had a very similar expirience except she wanted a 65 Mustang.  I don't know where the hell she got that from cause I grew up hating Fords.  But, nontheless she wanted the Mustang.  She got straight A's in school and made very wise decisions and did not bring touble to herself or our family.  I set up a plan for her to save up and buy a mustang of her own so she would appreciate the car.  Well, she was doing just that and I saw the determination in her.  She continued to do very well in school and in her social life.  My wife and I decided to surprise her on her 16th birthday with a car.  I found a very nice 65 mustang with absolutely no rust at all.  My brother and I spent the next 8 months restoring the car and keeping it hidden from her.  We took her out to dinner on her 16th birthday.  We parked the car near the front of the resturant with a big, "For Sale" sign in the window.  When we walked out she noticed the car and went over to see what the price was.  The description read, "This car is only for sale to a special girl who would take good care of it and treat it with the respect it deserves.  This car was built by family members who sacraficed many nights to see it completed.  The person who buys this car must give thanks to these family members, and this means YOU (Daughters Name)."   She had the best look of confusion on her face.  I actually had to tell her it was her car.  She did not believe me until I gave her the keys and started the car for her.  It was great.  That was last year and she still loves the car and takes very good care of it.  I think she appreciates the car even though she didn't give a penny for it. 

Rick
That's awesome. Might just have to steal that way of giving the car to my dad....(obviously will have to reword a bit here and there) but that's awesome!

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on August 03, 2012, 12:30:46 PM
Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on August 03, 2012, 12:09:27 PM

She will be a mechanical wiz in a few months! :icon_smile_big:

BBD

Knowing old Chargers, she'll be a mechanical engineer by the time she's 18 :scratchchin:

Ma Bell

Hi there I have a 69 charger RT/SE 440 2door vinyl top black on black column auto buddy seat
that is for sale if you are interested email me at charlene_rothwell@telus.net and I'll send pics etc
Asking $30,000 obo

TheGhost

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

wingcar

My first car was a 1966 Charger....second was a 1969 Charger RT/SE, third was a 1970 Superbird and fourth was a 1970 Challenger RT/SE...all before I got out of High school.......and I somehow survived High School without getting into trouble (much).....Get a Charger, then when she is tried of it.....it's all yours!   :yesnod:
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: wingcar on August 03, 2012, 02:47:57 PM
My first car was a 1966 Charger....second was a 1969 Charger RT/SE, third was a 1970 Superbird and fourth was a 1970 Challenger RT/SE...all before I got out of High school.......and I somehow survived High School without getting into trouble (much).....Get a Charger, then when she is tried of it.....it's all yours!   :yesnod:

Yeah, I survived somehow, getting a fast car when I was 16... Of course, this was all before passive seatbelts and airbags, too...

Anyways, She's got her Charger (an XP29G9Bxxxxxx car) and I have mine (an XS29L9Bxxxxxx car)  :2thumbs: But if she grows out of it, I'll be glad to take it off her hands  :scratchchin:

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on July 26, 2011, 08:05:30 PM
What have I started? Daughter wants Dodge Charger for her first car... Should I entertain this, or buy her a nice Chevy Camaro?  :shruggy:

Maybe it has been all the episodes of the Dukes... Or maybe my love for the Charger??? Anyways, my daughter asked if I'd either give her one of my cars, or to buy her a Charger of her own... What's a Dad to do???  :shruggy:

Anyone else in the same boat - or has been in the same boat?  :popcrn:

My other daughter has eyes for the VW Beetle convertible w/ flower holder on the dash... How cute...  ::)

My gut reaction is to simply buy her the car she wants vs. driving something of mine - has worked well with my wife, keeping her out of my cars  :smilielol:

Thanks for your input  :Twocents:

Other daughter found a nice VW convertible.  ::) Ugh...

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: cdr on August 03, 2012, 05:02:49 PM
Quote from: 1HotDaytona on August 03, 2012, 03:53:16 PM
Pics???
i am sure you dont want pics of a VW  :smilielol:

Agreed on the VW pics, nobody wants to see that  :yesnod:

Regarding the XP Charger, I don't have any good pics to post right now...

BigBlackDodge

My first car was a '74 Vega....4 cyl.....yeah....

I tried to get into trouble, I really did. But it never happened. :icon_smile_dissapprove:

BBD

bull

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on October 16, 2011, 11:31:09 AM
Went looking at a 1969 for her yesterday... No luck...  :cheers:

I know where there's a 69 383/4spd for sale but it needs some work. Not the kind of work most of them need though. It was a decent runner/driver until the owner put it in a ditch so the current "caretakers" are recommending it get new front frame rails, inner drivers side fender and outer fender. There's also a pair of shallow dents in the drivers door and quarter. The car plus repairs would come to about $22k IIRC.

Contact the Smith Bros. if interested: http://www.smithbrosrestorations.com/

PS - they do not own the car but it is being stored by them and they are well-qualified to do the repairs. They are also very knowledgable and trustworthy.