News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

spotted a '72 charger with a 318 for sale, what would guys say it's worth?

Started by UH60L, July 21, 2011, 07:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UH60L

Driving home from 7/11 the other day my mopar sense started tingling and I spotted a blue and white '72 charger for sale on a tiny little car lot close to where I live.

I stopped and looked at it through the fence (they were closed both times I stopped).  Without being able to touch it, I can say it appears to have a new paint job and maybe a new vinyl top.  From the web site pics it appears to be the original 318, and the interior looks mostly original (in one pic it looks like the carpet has a hole on the passener side, not sure though...).

It's not a bad looking car.  They are asking $12,998 last time I checked.  One of my co-workers who is a slightly older mopar guy said that was a bit steep.

Here is their web site, just click used inventory and scroll down.  They have it listed as a challenger...   :scratchchin:  I e-mailed them and explained that it's a charger.

http://www.coopsauto.com/default.asp?newused=1

Just figured maybe if any of you are close to Salem Oregon or are interested, it might be worth checking out.

I'd consider it myself, but I already have a '69 charger that's begging for more attention (and money) and just bought a new car too (I really hate payments!).  I can't afford another car and payment right now.

Tilar

The link doesn't work for me. Just takes me to a main page or something... $13k for a 3rd gen 318 car seems awful high to me but like I said, I didn't see any pics of it and have no idea if it's anything other than a base model.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

64dartgt

It might be low miles.  The rear seatbelts look mint.  Maybe you need to pay extra for what appears to be a Garfield floor mat on the passengers side.  :smilielol:

TruckDriver

If its just a factory 318 car, and even if it was in mint condition, I wouldnt pay more then $6k for it.  :Twocents:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

surmanajaja

if you want a 3rd gen for 13 thousand, look for the "pilot" 73 U-code thats beeen months in Moparts.

small block car will never be worth that much. 7-8 maybe with low miles and immaculate condition but not over 10k

64dartgt

6 to 10k for a small block 3rd Gen charger when the same drivetrain in a chally would get two or three times that.  The third Gen needs a good movie car to drive prices up  :shruggy:

UH60L

I figured it was a little high.  I did notice they only list it as having just over 19 thousand miles.  It's probably just typical mark up at that lot.  I've been told they go for a big profit no matter what make or model they are selling.

Ahhh, the Garfield floor mat, yup that's worht at leats a couple grand right, hehe.    ;D

UH60L

Quote from: Tilar on July 22, 2011, 04:05:42 AM
The link doesn't work for me. Just takes me to a main page or something... $13k for a 3rd gen 318 car seems awful high to me but like I said, I didn't see any pics of it and have no idea if it's anything other than a base model.

Yeah, on the main page there is a little bock up in the picture that says "used inventory".  If you click that it brings up a list of their used cars (which is most of them I would think, since it's a used car lot...).

AKcharger

Reason for the Extra cost is a "Dodge Challanger" not a 3rd gen Charger...read the ad

SG1022

I am from Salem(living in Mt. Angel now), Coop's prices are almost as bad as Lulay's.  :eek2:

Except they usually don't have as nice of a selection.

BigBlackDodge

Ahhhhh........it's 318.0 liter!

That's like 19,000 cubic inches! :o

BBD

Black Charger

It looks like a decent car from the photos, but I am sure a similar car could be bought from a private individual for considerably less. As someone already said, dealers mark up EVERYTHING regardless of what it is.

SG1022

I'm on Lancaster now. I will check it out and take pictures. I'll post them later.

ACUDANUT

These guys sell cars for a living and don't know the difference between a Challenger and a Charger ? :scratchchin:

spinny

Its nice looking, missing some much needed items if you were to actually pay 12,000 but if that was an actual challenger... yeah its more than worth it.

ACUDANUT

IMO a 71-72 Charger that nice is worth the money...I have seen much worse for that price..Anyone restored a car lately ?? It will cost you that (12k).... at least.

67tbird

I agree with ACUDANUT, when I got my '72, seller said he'd have made more parting it than what he got selling to me. as the supply of clean sheetmetal dries up either AMD, or China will have to step up, or we'll end up like 1st gens. priced out of market, or stuck rebuilding 67 Tbirds :smilielol:

SG1022

Sorry that the pictures are all washed out, and out of focus. It was hot as hell that day, and my girlfriend was sitting there waiting on me.  :shruggy:

These were taken with an iPhone4. Usually I can get some GREAT quality pictures.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

The car looked really clean, but dirty. It looked pretty unmolested, frame rails looked good. Dare I even say a, 'surivor?' Nah, I better not do that.  ;)

The owner DID know what he had, the kid who put it on the website messed up. He was going to fire it up, but there were some customers sitting on a picnic bench right behind the exhaust.

TUFCAT

:nixon:

I especially liked the "72 SPORTY " on the windshield :2thumbs:

It totally reminded me of the movie "Used Cars" :icon_smile_wink:

64dartgt

The engine coompartment hasn't been touched and looks like mine with 167k on the odometer.   I will have about 10 k into it soon but the engine rebuilt and tranny are rebuilt.  Be careful that you aren't overpaying for a pretty paint job.  If nothing has been rebuilt I would have a hard time justifying even ten grand for that car based on the photos so far.  You can buy much better for that price.

Nacho-RT74

3 years ago maybe I could say it was on the right price, but nowdays, I don't think so unless engine bay was like the rest of the car... still a great looking car!!!

I'm afraid the paint job was made just to be sold, and is hidding something else? :shruggy:

Interior is pretty much clean and great! hard to find on these days

How much worths ? if a nice Big Block Charger is rightly priced over $15K, maybe I could say this on $9-10K rate ?dunno
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

74Rallye

TUFCAT

The interior is definately wrong - Chrysler never made white seat inserts like that.  :eek2:

Nacho-RT74

just seat covers are wrong, although still nicelly made. Rest of the interior ITSSSS GREEEAAAT
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html