News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best new 2nd gen. fuel tank and sender?

Started by b5blue, July 08, 2011, 10:30:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

OK did a search prior to posting this. As stated I'm considering replacing my 70 Charger's tank, straps, filler tube gasket and fuel pickup/sending unit. I'm not looking for cheapness but quality. Checking posts I found for not much more money I can get North American made and would prefer to. So any experience with this/these recently I'd appreciate feedback from you.   :shruggy:

b5blue

Nobody huh? Oh well I'm off to research on my own!  :2thumbs: ( I saw the post on Rockauto's for 90 bucks at least.)

terrible one

Sorry, I missed this one personally. I went with the tank made in Canada, Spectra brand or whatever . . . the difference between that one and the one from Rockauto/ the cheaper one is that it is tin plated whereas the cheaper one looks like it isn't, not sure what the dull finish is. Either way, just preference/ what you want to spend there. I got my sending unit off of Ebay and from what I've heard no matter which brand you get, you will have to mess with it to get it to read correctly. I got the filler tube gasket on Ebay as well, think it was under $5 there.

Charger-Bodie

I got a fuel sending unit recentlyfrom "The riight stuff" and its worked out well. Auto instruments calibrated it and the gauge together but it has full and empty unlike some of the crap out there.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

b5blue

Thanks guys!  :2thumbs: Spectra huh...I'll check them out!

HeavyFuel

I ordered the Spectra tank and it's a nice piece.  Comes with the gasket.   Pretty heavy.....well constructed. 

I also got a spectra ending unit as well.  Seems good, the sock on the end doesn't slipp around, which tends to be a problem, and can cause flow issues.

b5blue

I'll save extra money and go with them then.   :2thumbs:  Who/where did ya order from. 15-16 years ago tanks were 500.00 bucks near as I could tell. I pulled mine steam cleaned it and had the 1/2 inch nipple in the bottom of it removed and welded up, checked for leaks, some kind of red tank sealer coating and a new set of gaskets.....a couple hundred in repairs and a lot of work to save it back then!

HeavyFuel

I got mine from   www.autopartswarehouse.com.

Part #: SPICR9A
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 8 Cyl 7.2L Spectra Fuel Tank Fuel Tank Charger
Spectra
Qty: 1.00
Price: $ 195.81
Shipping: $0.00  :yesnod:
Handling: $0.00
Tax: $0.00
Core: $0.00
Discount: $0.00
Total: $195.81

I get alot of stuff from Rockauto, so I initially had the order in through them.  But they were out of this tank, and didn't show any available to order, kinda sounded like the supply was drying up.

So when I found one at Autoparts warehouse, I moved quick.  You should do the same. :yesnod:

b5blue

OH not again! Every time I turn to order something it's out!  :eek2: Thanks for the tip!

70sixpkrt

Do they have the expansion tank inside the tank like the originals with ECS?

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

b5blue