News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

where can i buy these column parts

Started by towscum, June 28, 2011, 07:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

towscum

1969 dodge charger 440 4 speed

gtx6970

coupler body , there is no replacement. you have to clean and re-use yours

switch - there is arepop avail but I've not heard good things about it,,, so me personally I would look for nos

seal is avail , although it's not 100% absolutely correct , but it is black as original

BIGBLCK11

The coupling kit is still available through Dodge dealers.  You can reuse your body, as stated, to rebuild it.  Just give them this part number.  It is around $12.  The gasket is orange though.

Mopar Steering Coupling Rebuild Kit 4443436AC

towscum

1969 dodge charger 440 4 speed

johnnycharger

Thanks for the good tips on buying the column parts at the dealer I bought mine today.  do you have any good tips on disassembly and reassembly? I have not started mine yet.

I have seen re-pop coupler bodies... A bit pricey and unless severely worn I'd clean and use your original...

BIGBLCK11

Quote from: johnnycharger on July 01, 2011, 07:47:31 PM
Thanks for the good tips on buying the column parts at the dealer I bought mine today.  do you have any good tips on disassembly and reassembly? I have not started mine yet.

The coupler is pretty simply.  I just greased it up pretty good.  I would say be careful crimping the top retainer on, they don't really like to stay put.  If you mean for the rest of the column, I would say take pics, bag the screws that are grouped together and tag them as such.  I did not take my own advice, then it was a couple weeks before reassembly.  Luckily, I had my orig. column shift to refer back to, while assembling the restored floor shift.  Then, I had a squeak.  So, after chasing that and taking it apart 2 more times, I think it is really not that bad.  I assume from your avatar, you are doing a 70 also.  I was told not to take apart the collapsible tube, as I was told it would be difficult to get back together correct.  I just kept the sandblaster away from the plastic tabs that hold the the tubes together.  Also, if you are replacing the key assembly, take note that there are 2 types.  If you have issues just let me know or make a post.  I can take pics of my old column.