News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS EK2 SUPERBIRD RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, June 05, 2011, 06:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

BOTTOM SIDE HOOD REPAIRS PART 4!
Moving along with the bottom side of the hood were more repairs! The first picture shows where the stamped opening near the extension on the side had two cracks that needed welding. The second picture shows where the metal by the hole in the corner was torn and needed repairs also. The third picture shows the hood extension filler piece after it had been blasted. The last picture shows the underside of the filler piece after it had been treated with some primer and weldable primer along the edges! The next installment will finally wrap up the bottom side of the hood!
MJ

Mopar John

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on January 07, 2014, 02:54:46 PM
That car is going to be perfect!
It is turning out way better than what I had originally planned! Thanks Tony and Troy!
MJ

Mopar John

BOTTOM SIDE HOOD REPAIRS FINAL?
This is the last of the pictures that I have for the bottom side hood repairs. The first picture shows the underside filler panel reinstalled. The second picture shows some glazing putty in the dent repair area. The third picture shows the bottom side with all the metal work complete and ready for primer. The last picture shows the bottom side in primer and a mist of black primer over that for a final sand and primer. That is why I ended with a question mark. There may be more photos coming showing the final sand and primer? Stay tuned for more progress!
MJ

hemi68charger

John, this is almost as good as Graveyard Carz....  :-)
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

Quote from: hemi68charger on January 08, 2014, 05:47:30 PM
John, this is almost as good as Graveyard Carz....  :-)
Thanks Troy! I wish I could sell this as a series!
  With the bottom side of the hood in primer it was time to move on!
This series of pictures are from the trunk floor. You have to remember
that we used a rare and original trunk floor for this restoration.
So the first two pictures show the trunk floor in primer and some pitting.
The third picture shows the jack/spare hold down installed and the
last picture shows some glazing putty for the pits sanded down!
That's all the pictures I have of this area for now!
Next up will be the floor inside the body!
MJ

jonw29

Troy this is WAYYYY better than Graveyardcarz.More informative without the nonsense.I enjoy the thread as well.

Mopar John

Quote from: jonw29 on January 10, 2014, 09:08:37 PM
Troy this is WAYYYY better than Graveyardcarz.More informative without the nonsense.I enjoy the thread as well.
I'm glad that guys are enjoying the restoration story!
MJ

Mopar John

INTERIOR FLOOR PANS!
With all the problems found on the Superbird body the floor pans were in very good shape!
There was one small rust spot that was shown and fixed earlier by the drivers gas pedal area.
My first picture today shows the passengers floor pan toward the rear. You can see the area
has been primered then sanded and a special light colored primer applied. The second picture
shows the drivers front floor pan close up with the glazing putty in the repaired area sanded.
The third picture shows the drivers side rear floor pan sanded close up. The last picture shows
a nice shot looking forward of the floor pans sanded and ready for another coat of primer! ENJOY!
Like some other topics this is the last of the pictures I have of this area. I'm thinking that in a
future batch we will see a bunch of final primer applied? I can't wait!
MJ

Mopar John

COMPLETE SET!
I was lucky and found the last NOS weatherstrip for the side glass! With the ones I got from Tony Malcein and the two I found I have a complete set just in time to install the side glass in the freshly painted body! They are on their way to the shop now! :yesnod:
MJ

Mopar John

HEADLIGHT DOOR ASSEMBLIES!
With the Superbird body getting to the final stages of prep it was time to move on and get the nose cone assembly ready! The first step in this process was the headlight door assemblies. The first picture in this segment is of a headlight door assembly taken apart and one of the frames in primer. The second picture is of the back side of one of the doors just after disassembly. The third picture shows the back side of both doors sanded and ready for primer. The last picture shows that even the headlight frames needed some attention. ENJOY!
MJ

Mopar John

HEADLIGHT DOOR ASSEMBLIES PART 2!
Moving right along with the headlight door work is this batch of pictures. The first one shows the one headlight frame and bucket end in primer. The second picture shows one of the buckets in primer. The third picture shows the parts restored and in primer ready for reassembly! The last picture shows both headlight door assemblies reassembled and ready to be installed in the headlight buckets! WOW!
MJ

Mopar John

HEADLIGHT DOOR ASSEMBLIES PART 3!
  In my last post I stated that the door assemblies were ready for the next step. We'll not exactly!
If you look closely at the assembly in front the pivots are rusted pretty bad! Troy had told me about those and I found a pair of almost NOS ones. I had found a smashed nose cone and replaced one side years ago. But the other side was the originals from when the Superbird was in Florida and rusted the pivots. This series of pictures shows those rusty pivots being replaced. The first and third pictures show the old rusty pivots. The second and forth pictures show the like new original pivots ready to be installed! I am glad we could correct this before the doors were installed in the nose!
MJ

Mopar John

BOTTOM SIDE WORK FINAL!
A while back I posted about the bottom side work. At that time I didn't have the final pictures for that area.
Now I do and will finish the segment! The first and second pictures show the bottom side with the final regular primer sanded and ready for the epoxy primer. The third and fourth pictures show the bottom side now finished off in the epoxy primer! We are not going to over restore the Superbird and paint the bottom body color so this is how it will look between the rockers when it's done!
MJ

Mopar John

BOTTOM SIDE DETAILS!
I just spoke about leaving the bottom in the epoxy primer in the last post. Now I have attached a close up of the bottom showing the drips and runs in the primer as the body would have had being dipped in the primer tank on the assembly line! You can look back on the other two epoxy primer pictures and see more. ENJOY!
MJ

Mopar John

DOOR OPENINGS IN PRIMER!
 With the bottom of the Superbird body ready it was time to put it right side up and move on!
This series of pictures are of the door openings. If you remember there was a lot of work done
on the pillars and where the seams were down on the bottom by the ends of the sills.
The first and second pictures show the door openings ready for primer. You will notice the
seam sealer has already been applied also. The third and fourth pictures                                                     show the same areas taped off and now in primer! I am really excited at this point
with the metal repairs done and seeing the primer being applied! GREAT!
Next up will be the wing washers that go under the quarter panels!
MJ

70Sbird

Looking AWESOME John, The bottom (including the drips) are beautiful!
:drool5:
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Scott Faulkner

billssuperbird

Mopar John

Quote from: 70Sbird on January 29, 2014, 11:18:35 AM
Looking AWESOME John, The bottom (including the drips) are beautiful!
:drool5:
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Quote from: billssuperbird on January 29, 2014, 11:52:32 AM
:popcrn: :drool5: :2thumbs:
Thanks for the great comments here and elsewhere!
MJ

Mopar John

WING WASHERS!
Many of you should have seen my want ads for an original Superbird passengers side wing washer. I even teamed up with Rick from Australia who needed one for the drivers side. The shop worked around this area and gave me some extra time to find one but I didn't! So we made the decision to save what we could of the original and use the original drivers side as a pattern. This batch of pictures shows the wing washer before restoration. The first picture shows how rusty it was and where I had cut it years ago when I removed the rusty trunk gutter! The second picture shows a close up of the rusted rear corner. The third picture shows how I had cut it along the side. The last picture shows some rust up front on the washer also. So for the last 30 years or so the washer was just sandwiched in between the braces and the quarter panel!!!!!!!!!
MJ

Mopar John

WING WASHERS PART 2!
I couldn't leave you with those rusty images for long so here's the start of the repairs to the passengers side wing washer. The first picture is of the new piece basically bent into shape on the brake. The second picture shows the new piece just getting started. The third picture shows the end from the outside. The last picture shows the end welded from the inside. TO BE CONTINUED!
MJ

Mopar John

WING WASHERS PART 3!
In this batch of pictures the fabrication gets serious! Keep in mind that the wing washer is a 3D piece! It curves side to side and also front to back to mate with the quarter panel. The first picture shows the front tacked in place. The second picture shows the rear tacked in place. The third picture shows and updated overall shot. The last picture shows the front to back contour being worked into place.
MJ

Mopar John

WING WASHERS PART 4!
In this batch of pictures you'll see some of the final fabrication on the passengers side wing washer!
The first picture is of the rear now with the welding completed and ground. The second picture shows one of the angle shaped supports fabricated and welded in! The third picture shows another overall shot of the top side. The last picture is an overall ofthe bottom side.
MJ

Mopar John

WING WASHER FINAL!
Here we go with the last batch of pictures for the wing washers! The first picture shows the quarter panel with all the holes laid out for the wing upright. The second picture shows wing washer mounting area ground and ready for spot welding. The third picture shows the wing washer fabrication done and in primer ready to be installed! The last picture shows the wing washer installed and the uprights in place! WOW! Another major step forward.
  Next up will be the top side of the hood!
MJ

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

Quote from: hemi68charger on February 06, 2014, 01:54:16 PM
Lookin' Good John !!!   :2thumbs:
Thanks Troy!
I got ahead of myself on the wing washers! The pictures that I had in my final installment were the final pictures but I had skipped a few. So I will add them now! The first picture shows the passengers side wing washer fully fabricated and in primer with glazing putty applied. Note that it now has the 3 traingle shaped support ribs. The second picture shows the wing washer sanded and ready for the final primer. The last picture shows the wing washer in final primer hanging on the paint rack!
  Soon I will post about the hood!
MJ