News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'92 Corsica 3.1

Started by dpm68, June 07, 2011, 07:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpm68

Hey, I know this is a Dodge forum, but I need some help here.
I have this Corsica 3.1 that was not getting any spark at the plugs. So, I got a new ICM and while I was at it decided to replace all 3 coil packs. (I lubed between the ICM and the plate).
I put everything back together and attempted to start the damn thing and it sounded out of time and would occasionally catch, but not start. Pop, sputter, drag, whir...
So, I thought, "misrouted the wires, dang.  - nope, not it, wires good. I then took the dang ICM/coil pack assembly, knowing I at least have spark now, and put the old coil packs back on. Now it turns over in time, but does not catch - hmm.
I then tried a combo of 2 new coil packs, and one old one, now back to turning over out of time, pop, sputter, drag, whir...
WTF!!??? Please help.
Thanks for the rant.

Back N Black

Sounds like cam or crank sensor.

dpm68

Even with it now (attempting) to start. I thought a bad cam or crank sensor causes a no-spark at all condition. It's at least trying now.

Cooter

Remember that there's a module that the coils bolt to...(Thing you "lubed" and installed the coils onto)..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

dpm68

It's a new module (ICM). Maybe it is the crank sensor - i just wonder why it rotates out of time with all the new stuff on it? Didn't before. If I leave the new ICM and keep the old coil packs, it rotates fine, but no start. I guess I'll try the CS. Hard to get at it seems, but hey - nothing on this motor is really easy to get to, has anyone ever changed the back plugs? Ha ha...

dodgeboy67

i had the same thing on a3.1....it ended up being the crank sensor

Charger RT

back plugs are not hard with either the tool they sell or make one. pop the dog bones off and the tool bolts in place of them and you tighten it up and it rolls the engine forward. I took 2 pieces of angle iron a long bolt a short one and made a similar tool. or unbolt one end of both of the dog bones and use a ratchet strap hooked to the engine and the other end to the radiator support and ratchet the engine forward. I set the parking brake and put the trans in neutral. If in park the car will roll and its a little harder to ratchet. Just don't set the brake and leave it in park it will fight each other. To line up the dog bones I release the parking brake put it back in park and rock the car to line up the bolts.
Tim

dpm68

Thanks for the info. I managed to do everything and BTW - the culprit was the crank sensor. Thanks guys!