News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best Carb Choice for Mild 383

Started by MoparMotel, June 04, 2011, 10:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoparMotel

I am sure this topic has been covered to death but looking for some opinions.

68 Dodge Charger
Rebuilt 383 Magnum with 1,000 miles on it
10:1 compression
Comp Cam:
Brand      COMP Cams
Manufacturer's Part Number      21-306-4
Part Type      Camshafts
Product Line      COMP Cams Magnum Hydraulic Camshafts
Summit Racing Part Number      CCA-21-306-4
Cam Style      Hydraulic flat tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range      1,800-5,500
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift      224
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift      224
Duration at 050 inch Lift      224 int./224 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration      270
Advertised Exhaust Duration      270
Advertised Duration      270 int./270 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio      0.470 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio      0.470 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio      0.470 int./0.470 exh. lift
Lobe Separation (degrees)      110
Camshaft Gear Attachment      1-bolt
Intake Valve Lash      0.000 in.
Exhaust Valve Lash      0.000 in.
Computer-Controlled Compatible      No
Grind Number      CRB 270H-10
Quantity      Sold individually.
Notes      Single-bolt camshaft.

Stock heads that were rebuilt with new valves and seats
stock HP exhaust manifolds that were jet coated
2.5" exhaust with dynomax mufflers
rebuilt 727 transmission with shift kit

What would you guys recommend for a good carburetor? I've got the stock carter that is starting to stick and act up a little. I would rather just buy a new carb with an electric choke instead of rebuild it.

Right now my first choice is the Edelbrock Thunder AVS 650 Electric Choke...........Any better choices out there for both drive-ability and performance?
1968 Dodge Charger

johnnycharger

MoparMotel

I wouldn't mind a 750 but isn't that too much for my motor?
1968 Dodge Charger

johnnycharger

I have a 383 with an edelbrock performer 383 intake, unknown cam (most likely stock), headers, flows, 410 gears in the rear and mine runs great.

Ghoste

I have a 750 on a mild 383 and no complaints here either.

BIGBLCK11

Hi, not an engine expert here.  But, I can tell you my experience.  ALOT of 383's on here are running 750's, it seems.  I bought an Edelbrock Performer 750 and an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, mainly after researching on here and online.  It "had" a stock cam, mostly stock 906 heads and manifolds.  The carb was too much for it.  It ran WAY better with a Holley 650 double pumper.  I have since added a VooDoo 60302 cam and headers.  The cam is very close to yours with a little more lift. Specs are: RPM 1400-5800; Adv. Dur. 262 Int./268 Exh.; Valve Lift .475 Int./.494 Exhaust.  I am still running the 650 DP and it is running great.  My engine does have less compression than yours.  I posted for suggestions awhile back.  I ran my final config. ideas past Ron(firefighter3931) and he agreed for my build, the 650 would be plenty.  He is one of the resident engine experts and a moderator here,  maybe he will chime in also.  I can make you deal on a like new 1411 Eddy 750 w/ electric choke if you decide to go that way.

doctor4766

I just removed my "bought new" 750 Holley and fitted a 600VS Holley to my mild 383 and it runs much better than before.
I spent some time tuning the car using a vacuum gauge once the carbie was on and I'm more than sure that the 750 was a little big for my build. Go figure
Gotta love a '69

morepower

383 times 2=766 750 cfm carb is perfect. Doubling cubic inches is kind of like a uneducated rule. (meaning without using an actual Volumetric efficiency formula times rpm times whatever method). I dont really like the holley street avenger series thier perfomance tuning is lame IMO. I deffinately do not like Edelbrock carburetors. But if you had to have one with an electric choke, id go for the holley. but the avs is pretty much a straight replacement for your current carb...hard decision.
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

c00nhunterjoe

You have a relativly mild cam in it. I would still reccomend a 750 holley. A 650 will work and can be tuned to fit your bill but in the end the 750 can also be tuned perfectly for your build as well and also leave plenty of room to expand later.
    I run a standard 4777 holley 750 dp on my mild 383 and it performs flawlessly. I have a little more cam and exhaust then you but I had to adjust the carb to suit.

MoparMotel

Anybody else think there would be a better choice for my motor? Right now an edelbrock thunder avs 650 electric choke is my #1 choice. Just looking for a carb that is going to be good for cruising around town and a little hot rodding which is what the car normally sees. The car shifts out around 5,300 rpm when full throttle.

Any other imput will be appreciated.

Like I said, looking for something with a little more performance plus electric choke than the stock carter that is on it now.

Thanks!
1968 Dodge Charger

heyoldguy

And what intake manifold is on this 383?

MoparMotel

1968 Dodge Charger

MoparMotel

Stock HP intake, stock HP exhaust manifolds.

Looks like I can get ether the #1411 750 performer series for $272, or the #1806 thunder avs 650 for $359- both electric choke

If this was your car, which would you rather have?
1968 Dodge Charger

Ghoste

morepower

deffinately the avs over the performer. no comparison. but id still run a holley, demon, quickfuel over any edelbrock
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

HardCharger500

Hi.  I have just put your engine size through a CFM Calculator at 0.80 Volumetric Efficiency & it comes up recomending a 650 Carb at 6000 RPM.
Below is my engine combo & performance. Note I use a 650 for street driving & it sure as hell revs out great.
If thats enough for 500 cubes, it will more that satisfy you.
Its like camshafts; most guys think,if big is good, bigger has got to be better. Not so!

I have a 440 stroker(496) It has 10:1 with 193lbs cranking pressure. 18inches vacuum @ 800rpm. Comp-Cams 294solid 248@050 Lift 0.560 with 1:6 Rockers.Installed straight-up. 
Was using Weiand Xcelerator 7512 Single-Plane Manifold.650 D/P Holley. Were using Hughes Engines Heads,Stage 2  452's Factory Iron.
Now running Stealth/440 Source which have same pressure & revability. 6800 in 1st & 2nd on 4-Speed New-Process with 2:75 Gears out back.
The car with myself on board weighs 3960lbs, plus fuel,& runs 12:00-12:25@117-118mph in the 1/4 mile.
Had it on a chasis dyno & the 650 was only down 13 HP down on the 850 D/P.
Actually, its the 850 i use to produce those 1/4 mile times, but that 650 is a real side-winder as well. Pulls best to about 5800-6000.
Horse-power was 418 RWHP with the 850 @ just over 5800.
Probably about 530 at flywheel, but who cares; its what hits the road that shifts a brick like this.
A bigger cam would definately make it a lot quicker, but then my fuel consumption would go through the roof.

Beat this!
  My weight & terminal speed in a Horse-Power calculator says it makes 508 HP at the wheels.

I only occasionally wind it into the 6800 area if I wanna screw up Boy-Racers (Brains) in their Jappa's by takin the odd one for a ride.
At the drags, i am some-what into 3rd.   It would be well in the 11's,with low gears, but this is a car i can just loaf around in,&,once moving at 10-15 mph, will blow the socks off most comers.
Quite happy with tall gears, after-all, low gearing only has the punch in that first instant.
In low, with full tank of juice & 60ft of 5/8th chain in the boot,& the 850 on, she'll srew sideways every time even if i accelerate smoothly & then at say 50-60mph push that last third of throttle. Tires are 255x45x17 ZR-Sumitomo's.

I'm 55 & been running worked 440's since '87 & have a good understanding mechanically & do all my own work; suspension; brakes; diff; gear-boxes etc:
I use to be an incredibly hard road-driver, but they would jail me if they caught me today; now i just have memories of what use to be.
Yee! Harrr!
Mike in New Zealand

greenpigs

The 650 will have better throttle response due to the smaller dia baseplate. Like said above for all out power the 750 would be a better choice but in your case I think a 650 is best, but buy a Holley or similar. The Eldelbrock is OK but not the best quality and offers limited tuning compared to a Holley.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Budnicks

Quote from: MoparMotel on July 07, 2011, 02:19:08 AM
Anybody else think there would be a better choice for my motor? Right now an edelbrock thunder avs 650 electric choke is my #1 choice. Just looking for a carb that is going to be good for cruising around town and a little hot rodding which is what the car normally sees. The car shifts out around 5,300 rpm when full throttle.

Any other imput will be appreciated.

Like I said, looking for something with a little more performance plus electric choke than the stock carter that is on it now.

Thanks!
The Holley 770cfm Street Avenger, dual feed, Vacuum secondaries ( secondaries don't come in unless it's needed) & electric choke it is perfect for you combo, the Edelbrock 650 & 750cfm model #1411 don't really perform as well as almost any 600cfm double pumper (dp), 700dp or 750dp Holley on the 383 big block, the Edelbrock 650cfm are really OK for just stock type Apps or were you want to retain a somewhat stock appearance, but they are much more difficult to tune, especially if you don't know what your doing... The 770cfm Street Avenger out of the box will be just about perfect for your combo...  Good luck...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Chryco Psycho

I would use a Proform 750 race series

Budnicks

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 24, 2011, 02:41:17 PM
I would use a Proform 750 race series
Yep either Proform Or Quickfuel or ever Demon style Barry Grant carburetor are all a good choice...

Ghoste

I thought Barry Grant were all done?

greenpigs

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Budnicks

Quote from: Ghoste on July 24, 2011, 10:15:47 PM
I thought Barry Grant were all done?
Yep I think they were bought out or ran out by Holley , but there are some still out there in swap meets & select suppliers with old stock.... They are going to be back very soon, if they aren't already, with "Bill Goldberg" as there new spokes person, I just read it in an article in Popular Hot Rodding

morepower

I dunno in these cars gas mileage should be of no concern but max power should be. thats why I always run double pumpers

Budnicks

If you want better fuel mileage use a 6bbl/six pack you run on a 350cfm 2 bbl till you stomp on it or go you can also go to a spread bore type Holley (preferred) or Carter carburetor with smaller primaries & larger secondaries will still have the overall performance effect of the same size in total CFM carburetor, with equally sized primaries & secondaries... Just a  couple of options to think about for street cars & mileage, if tuned properly & you don't stand on the load peddle too often...LOL...  :Twocents: