News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

how were rallye rims painted?

Started by resq302, June 03, 2011, 12:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

resq302

Im restoring a set of 1970 Rallye rims and I know they are argent silver on the outside but what was the back color of the rim?  Was it primer gray or was it also argent silver?  Is there any particular spray pattern?  IE) front to back or back to front?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Daytona R/T SE

The backside was painted black first, then the frontside was painted argent. No masking. Some of the argent will blow through the holes onto the black.

gtx6970

gloss black backside with argent silver front sides.

I'm doing a set of 15x7's  now as well and will take pictures early next week if you need me to

resq302

If you could Bill, I would appreciate it.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

bill440rt

I concur with the two other posters.

They were gloss black on the back. Then the fronts painted argent with no masking. This allowed the argent silver to pass thru the holes causing slight silver overspray on the backside.
Quite easy, BTW.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce