News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

No spark. Ignition switch?

Started by chargd72, June 03, 2011, 09:35:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargd72

Engine was running fine, now it will roll over but I'm not getting any spark.  I bypassed the ignition by running a wire from battery directly to the +coil to test my coil and distributor and it started right up.  I pulled the steering column apart and redid some old wiring at the ignition switch but still no luck.  However, if I wiggle/play with the wires at the switch while I turn the ignition, I sometimes get random spark.  Do you guys think it's just a bad switch?

Want to fix tonight so any quick replies would be much appreciated.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

flyinlow

Not sure if you have electronic ignition or points . I would not normally look at the ignition switch as the first choice for problems,  but since you are in there and wiggling the harness is getting some results ,could be the switch or a bad wire.
A lot of Mopar ignition systems are feed power by a blue (16 Ga. ) wire on the engine harness. It tends to deteriorate before the in the car wires do. Try a test light at the coil with the ignition on, and gently start moving the  wiring harness around and see when the light flickers.   :Twocents:

HANDM

I have a brown? wire on my switch that popped out of the connector and gave me trouble for a bit, not sure if thats it ,but I would pull the switch and check all the connections just to be sure....

chargd72

Yup, just a bad switch. Popped a new one in and vroom. Well, not exactly. Turns out the after market switch had a red wire as negative and black as positive. That's a first for me on DC wiring.  After flipping those around it fired right up. Thanks guys.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger