News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69-70 Console top plate Paint.

Started by Nassau1969, May 25, 2011, 09:12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nassau1969

The inlay gully that runs around the console that's flat black/or satin what paint will adhere to the chrome with out problems.

twodko

I don't really know what ma mopar used to paint that channel........looks like a satin finish to me. Nothing will really stick to chrome,the surface of chrome must be roughed up a bit for paint to stick. :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Nassau1969

Your correct. I was talking to my body shop pal and he said the same thing.

BananaDan

I left my chrome in-tact, but I repainted the channel between the chrome and woodgrain with SEM's Trim Black.
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

Nassau1969

That's what I'm talking about is that 1 inch channel, does that paint adhere good.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: BananaDan on May 25, 2011, 06:12:13 PM
I left my chrome in-tact, but I repainted the channel between the chrome and woodgrain with SEM's Trim Black.

I used the same...scuffed the chrome ever so slightly...2 light coats then 1 final slightly heavier one....still sticking 13 years later....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

BananaDan

Yep, I used a 3M red scuff pad to scuff it up and painted right over it.  The only catch was with the rear most small piece.  I kept getting fisheyes in the paint so I removed the paint with DuPont Final Clean and then some lacquer thinner.  I then ground the entire channel area down to bare metal with my dremel and wire wheel attachment.  Cleaned again with Final Clean and lacquer thinner, then primed with duplicolor self-etching primer, then painted with Trim Black and no more fish eyes.  Make sure you leave the chrome and woodgrain masked off when doing all of that if you have to go through what I had to.  The dremel can easily damage the chrome or woodgrain if you lose control of it.
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein