News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

piston head volume? (my 440 build)

Started by Brightyellow69rtse, May 24, 2011, 06:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brightyellow69rtse

ok guys i need an education on pistons and prolly alotta other things but im focusing on engines at the moment. my 440 is in the machine shop and i need to pick out a piston before the machinist will bore it out. im looking at the keith black icons as suggested by Ron. now theres a few different versions ie flat top w valve relief, step head etc..  what is piston head volume? i wanna make sure i get the best one for my application.
this is the only chance im gonna have at building this motor so i wanna make it as bad as i can and still be able to afford to eat.

Ron reccomended   this cam    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-60303LK/

i called lunati to ask their opinion on my setup with the cam Ron picked out and the tech suggested  http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-60304LK/   which is the next one up from Rons suggestion. Rons never steered me wrong before. i was wondering what you guys thought of either cam.

any info would be greatly appreciated thanks, Mike

firefighter3931

Mike, go with a flattop piston that has a 2.065 compression height....then have the machinist mock it up and measure. Ideally you want the piston at zero deck to maximize compression.  :2thumbs:

I like the 303 cam for stronger throttle response and better manners on the street but either one will work.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Brightyellow69rtse

ok Ron throttle response is good. i wanna be able to smoke em up violently without having to pop the clutch at 4k like i did with the 400. :2thumbs:

Cooter

Quote from: Brightyellow69rtse on May 24, 2011, 07:58:41 PM
ok Ron throttle response is good. i wanna be able to smoke em up violently without having to pop the clutch at 4k like i did with the 400. :2thumbs:
a 440 and a 400 are no comparison in stock to mild performance...The 440 has alot more crank, therefore, plenty of torque for smokey burnouts with a 4 gear.

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

firefighter3931

Mike's old 400 was a late model smogger that had very low compression but after some "adjustments" it ran pretty good...huh Mike ?  :devil:

I still remember your first test drive....boiling the hides through 3 gears and busting the exhaust pipes.  :lol:

This new 440 will be a whole different animal....and much harder on your back tires.   :icon_smile_cool:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Brightyellow69rtse

haha i forgot about the exhaust breaking off after that! good times