News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need help indentifying heads and what performance they have??

Started by 72Charger-SE, May 24, 2011, 07:07:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

72Charger-SE

I have a set off of my 1972 Charger SE - 1971 400 Block built in Oct.  The numbers I can read on them are... 361824 with a 1090 beneath that next to a Chrysler Corp stamp on the bottom side of the heads.  The cast number is...3462846 with a 13 and a 36 beneath that stamped on the outside of the heads?  Are these the factory heads or has someone upgraded them from what was originally in the car?  See pic below.  Thanks

elacruze

You have the correct standard heads for your motor and year with 2.08" intakes and 1.74" exhausts. Conflicting information about the performance of these heads leads me to think that if the ports were made worse stock, they left more material somewhere for porting.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/5115_cylinder_heads/index.html

"In 1971, a new casting was introduced--the 346, again used across the board on all big-blocks, B, and RB (although some early 1971s were reputed to have slipped through with the 906s). Although the 915 of 1967, and 906 of 1968 to 1970, had the same ports, the new 346 was a significant departure in terms of intake port configuration. Exhaust ports were essentially unchanged. Factory information on the 346 casting, as published in the old Direct Connection racing manuals, and carried over into today's Mopar Performance engine book, was limited to one line: "In 1972 (and late 1971), the new emissions head with the flatter intake port was introduced on all 'B' engines, and has a casting number of 3462345." Other than printing the wrong year and casting number, it was clear that this was a smog head to be avoided. No supporting information was provided, but in the minds of Mopar enthu-siasts, the written words have long been accepted as gospel. Interestingly, these same smog heads were the recommended heads for Grand National racing when the Wedge returned to NASCAR, and in modified form were used quite a bit by Richard Petty in his domination of the circuit in the early 1970s. The 346 head was retained as the standard big-block head through 1973."

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=68

In any case, they're good enough on a 400 inch motor to keep you happy until you upgrade the internals.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

72Charger-SE

Thanks.  What year did a 383 or 440 have a steel crank?  Also, what heads 'should' I look for to put on this block?  906??  I am thinking (scary)...  if I put a steel crank from a 440 and 906 heads I should have much improved performance over the stock 346 heads and cast crank in the 400, correct?  $ is an issue so I am looking at 'used' options.

elacruze

$$ options have been talked about to death, search the forum for some threads. My opinion is that for the same money and less aggravation, you can find a running 440 and replace the entire unit. Stroker 383s are do-able, but not economical IMO.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

72Charger-SE

Ok... I'll start sourcing a local 440.  Thanks for the info...