News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

aluminum radiator recommendation?

Started by nrt69, May 22, 2011, 09:21:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrt69

Does anyone know of a good (not expensive!) aluminum radiator that has my 69 Charger's stock dimensions, look, and will bolt on without any modifcations?

oldcarnut

randr

I'm Bored! what to do next......

nrt69

still havent seen one that has the top driver side inlet and monting tabs for thefan shround...for less tan $300.

nrt69

how about a stock 26" replacement? anyone know a source for those?

A383Wing

I got mine from ebay...$250 with shipping....26" for a big block

terrible one

I used a Champion radiator, got mine off of Ebay too. I think they're the best way to go when you consider quality, fit, and price. Moparstuart here can get them: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,70184.0.html. Honestly my install went better than his! Just a little filing on the bottom slots to allow it to line up and it fit perfectly.

nrt69

price - agreed.

doesnt seem like the shroud fits correctly though.

terrible one

Quote from: nrt69 on June 01, 2011, 09:53:35 AM
price - agreed.

doesnt seem like the shroud fits correctly though.

Talk to Stu about it. He is using the stock shroud with his. :shruggy:

randy73

Quote from: nrt69 on May 31, 2011, 04:42:54 PM
how about a stock 26" replacement? anyone know a source for those?

Summit racing has Spectra radiators for $235, the SB part number is CU889, not sure what the BB is. Call them and they will look it up for you.

bill440rt

Gotta say I'm REAL happy with my Griffin. It's a 26" unit, & I'm running it with a Flex-a-lite electric dual fan setup. Yes, they are a little on the pricey side. But, on the plus side the car runs nice & cool.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

nrt69

Stuart has a 1970 shroud (4 attaching points) which had to be modified slightly. although the price is appropriate, not sure i want to buy something that doesnt look stock and needs to be worked on before i can use it.

http://www.usradiator.com/dodge-super-bee-1966-69-v8-318-340-aluminum-radiator-2453.html
the price makes me cringe, but im considering this one.

ill look up the one from summit first though.

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: terrible one on June 01, 2011, 12:01:27 AM
I used a Champion radiator, got mine off of Ebay too. I think they're the best way to go when you consider quality, fit, and price. Moparstuart here can get them: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,70184.0.html. Honestly my install went better than his! Just a little filing on the bottom slots to allow it to line up and it fit perfectly.

Decent piece, great price, but my tuner had a REAL HEADACHCE getting the shroud and radiator to fit, as it comes with 0 mounting brackets and he to custom make a bunch of stuff. I lost in labor what I gained on price. Figures its made in China!  :brickwall:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

terrible one

Quote from: nrt69 on June 02, 2011, 08:48:48 PM
Stuart has a 1970 shroud (4 attaching points) which had to be modified slightly. although the price is appropriate, not sure i want to buy something that doesnt look stock and needs to be worked on before i can use it.

http://www.usradiator.com/dodge-super-bee-1966-69-v8-318-340-aluminum-radiator-2453.html
the price makes me cringe, but im considering this one.

ill look up the one from summit first though.

I hear you there. For some reason I missed you wanting it to look stock too.

terrible one

Quote from: 1Bad70Charger on June 02, 2011, 11:14:33 PM

Decent piece, great price, but my tuner had a REAL HEADACHCE getting the shroud and radiator to fit, as it comes with 0 mounting brackets and he to custom make a bunch of stuff. I lost in labor what I gained on price. Figures its made in China!  :brickwall:

Right on. FWIW, mine has mounting brackets for a shroud with 4 holes. Like yours though, no hardware at all. Looking at it I could tell that it would take a little fabbing to get a shroud on there but doing it myself and having access to what I don't have at school I can't see it being bad and of course the only cost is my time. Hell, it might be easier to just make one from scratch.

Honestly I myself am not even using a shroud with this rad. I planned on it but ended up getting it on the road before I got to it and my max temp even in 90 degree weather was 190. Usually it stays just a tad above 180. So I guess for now I'll do without.  :shruggy: That's why I have to brag on it a bit for the price, and I'm not concerned with factory appearance with this car.

madmike

I purchased a 26" wide Champion radiator on Ebay for my '68 Charger.  I was not blown away by the weld quality or looks, but it did appear to be 'heavy duty'.  It had no mounting provisions for a stock fan shroud, but I did make three sided brackets (think channel shaped) from 16 gauge sheet metal, that use the radiator mounting points.  I formed the brackets with a hammer and heat (I don't have a brake), but once they're in the car, they look pretty good.  However, my radiator also arrived slightly 'racked' or twisted.  I bolted it in the car, and sort of shimmed it where it didn't lay flush with the car.  Again, it looks OK, but not 'show quality' (my car is a driver).

For my purposes, I guess it worked OK, but I wouldn't recommend one to most people, as I know the MoPar crowd is pretty finicky (and rightly so).

I attached a couple of pics...

bill440rt

FYI, the Griffin rad LOOKS stock. It even has the ribs in the top & bottom tanks like a stock rad.

It will also accept a factory shroud. You just need to mark the holes, & drill. I fitted it up with a '70-style shroud no problem, I'm sure a '68-'69 shroud would work as well.
I had to use an electric fan only due to tight clearance issues, especially with my serpentine setup. If you have stock pulleys & components, I don't see why it wouldn't work for you.
IIRC price was around $400, but it sure beats the headaches & addtional costs of "making something work". It truly bolted right in, & everything bolted to it no problem. The only thing I had to modify, was making a small spacer for the right side rad support baffle. That was on my end though, as it originally was a 22" support that I opened up for a 26" rad. The rad support baffle then is missing a little embossment, so I needed to make a small spacer to take up the gap. You could also use a few flat washers instead. If you already have a 26" support, you're good to go.

:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: terrible one on June 03, 2011, 01:40:52 AM

Decent piece, great price, but my tuner had a REAL HEADACHCE getting the shroud and radiator to fit, as it comes with 0 mounting brackets and he to custom make a bunch of stuff. I lost in labor what I gained on price. Figures its made in China!  :brickwall:

Right on. FWIW, mine has mounting brackets for a shroud with 4 holes. Like yours though, no hardware at all. Looking at it I could tell that it would take a little fabbing to get a shroud on there but doing it myself and having access to what I don't have at school I can't see it being bad and of course the only cost is my time. Hell, it might be easier to just make one from scratch.

Honestly I myself am not even using a shroud with this rad. I planned on it but ended up getting it on the road before I got to it and my max temp even in 90 degree weather was 190. Usually it stays just a tad above 180. So I guess for now I'll do without.  :shruggy: That's why I have to brag on it a bit for the price, and I'm not concerned with factory appearance with this car.

Just got my car back and noticed that my engine builder on my 505 stroker for my 69 Road Runner, went with a LARGE tranny cooler (I wanted a big trans cooler) and placed it right in front of my Champion Radiator, and it takes up about 40% of the surface of the largest Champion Radiator that one could buy (I went with the biggest).   DO you guys think this will impede my radiator from doing its job like it is suppose to do?
Keep in mind the tranny cooler has its own electric fan located right in front of it and does not stand alone (has fan attached to front of it).  Of course my Champion Radiator has the two elec. fans that will be running full time when the car is running.

Thanks in advance.  :2thumbs:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: 1Bad70Charger on June 05, 2011, 05:38:22 PM
Quote from: terrible one on June 03, 2011, 01:40:52 AM

Just got my car back and noticed that my engine builder on my 505 stroker for my 69 Road Runner, went with a LARGE tranny cooler (I wanted a big trans cooler) and placed it right in front of my Champion Radiator, and it takes up about 40% of the surface of the largest Champion Radiator that one could buy (I went with the biggest).   DO you guys think this will impede my radiator from doing its job like it is suppose to do?
Keep in mind the tranny cooler has its own electric fan located right in front of it and does not stand alone (has fan attached to front of it).  Of course my Champion Radiator has the two elec. fans that will be running full time when the car is running.

Thanks in advance.  :2thumbs:

OK, this sucks, went with the biggest 26 inch 4 core Radiator so I can RUN COOL with my new 505 stroker and its running WAY TO HOT!!!  Mechanic is trying to figure out why and we are working on it as I type.

Can I get your guys EDUCUATED opinions on whether you believe the above quote is causing my problem?

THanks in advance.

terrible one

I think the trans cooler probably impedes airflow through the rad a little, but lots of guys run them and think about the condenser on A/C cars. Your main problem is probably something else. What is your coolant temp?

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: terrible one on June 06, 2011, 11:27:09 PM
I think the trans cooler probably impedes airflow through the rad a little, but lots of guys run them and think about the condenser on A/C cars. Your main problem is probably something else. What is your coolant temp?

The problem is this trans cooler is HUGE and covers 40% of the front surface of the radiator.  Temp heats keep on climbing up an don't get better with open roads with no traffic, its a new engine so we shut her down at 220 and cool her down, and if i keep on running it the temps will go through the roof!  :brickwall:  Tranny cooler is coming off tommorrow and will see if that fixes me up, if not its a process of elimination.

My tuner is pretty savy and will work out it everyday until he gets it fixed. Engine is 10:6 to 1, runs like a CHAMP, sounds MEAN, smooth, GOBS of power, put just have this SERIOUS cooling issue to resolve!   :brickwall:
He reduced timing down to 32 degrees helped a little today but not much and he speced out a MONSTER cam that I told him was too big for a street car, but it actually runs pretty smooth and sounds WICKED.

Cam spec 264/270, at .050, 108 +2, .588 lift, solid flat tappet cam.  He says car is running nice and RICH for new engine and does not want to richen it up anymore, even though he says when he had car b/f he gave it to me it was running 185, and the only change he made with leaning out the rear jets a bit on the Holley HP 1000 carb, and he says he does not want to go back to that tune b/c it will be running WAY TO RICH, but not sure if I by that.

TIME WILL TELL, stay tuned! 

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: 1Bad70Charger on June 07, 2011, 12:01:28 AM
Quote from: terrible one on June 06, 2011, 11:27:09 PM

The problem is this trans cooler is HUGE and covers 40% of the front surface of the radiator.  Temp heats keep on climbing up an don't get better with open roads with no traffic, its a new engine so we shut her down at 220 and cool her down, and if i keep on running it the temps will go through the roof!  :brickwall:  Tranny cooler is coming off tommorrow and will see if that fixes me up, if not its a process of elimination.

My tuner is pretty savy and will work out it everyday until he gets it fixed. Engine is 10:6 to 1, runs like a CHAMP, sounds MEAN, smooth, GOBS of power, put just have this SERIOUS cooling issue to resolve!   :brickwall:
He reduced timing down to 32 degrees helped a little today but not much and he speced out a MONSTER cam that I told him was too big for a street car, but it actually runs pretty smooth and sounds WICKED.

Comp Cam specs 264/270, at .050, 108 +2, .588 lift, solid flat tappet cam.  He says car is running nice and RICH for new engine and does not want to richen it up anymore, even though he says when he had car b/f he gave it to me it was running 185, and the only change he made with leaning out the rear jets a bit on the Holley HP 1000 carb, and he says he does not want to go back to that tune b/c it will be running WAY TO RICH, but not sure if I by that.

TIME WILL TELL, stay tuned! 

FLG

These are nice

http://www.rondavisradiators.com/Radiators.htm

Autodynamics runs a Ron Davis and it looks sweet! There not that pricey either...if i remember correctly, a rad for my car with dual electric fans was going to run me about 550$, going to order one myself real soon.

nrt69

1Bad70Charger

Ok, have significant new update regarding the complete Champion, 4 core, 26 inch radiator I bought, along with the 2 fans it comes with and garbage alum. shroud.

Words of wisdom, the radiator is a nice piece but the shroud should be used for target practice as its a PIECE OF SHIT ask me how I know!   If you use the shroud that Champion sells with this Radiator expect to run about 50* degrees hotter versus not any shroud at all, as this shroud will suffocate the car and does the exact oppossite of its intended purpose (what a joke).  :brickwall:

Also, the cooling fans are too small for big HP set-ups like my 600 HP 505 stroker, and I will be switching to a mechanical fan  

You have probably seen my link about my 505 ci new wedge engine running HOT thanks to the entire Champion Set-up.  The radiator does the job for big HPpower applications, ONLY when coupled with a PROPER Mopar sytle shroud and better fans (read my 2nd to last post on this very active current thread).

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,81720.0.html