News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Power steering box shaft leaking

Started by y3chargerrt, May 21, 2011, 05:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

y3chargerrt

I went to my first car show today. A friend noticed I left a trail of oil when parking. Its seems to becomming from the bottom of the power steering gear shaft.The top of the box is dry as are  the hoses. How tough of a job is it to change the seal? Can it be done in the car after I remove the pitman arm?

1969chargerrtse

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

y3chargerrt

My leak is not from the top but the seal at the bottom above the pitman arm. I believe it can be replaced with the box in the car after I remove the pitman arm.

Plumcrazy

You'll need a pitman arm puller,they are really on there tight!

After you get it off pry out the dust seal and remove the snap ring.
After that the easiest way to remove the pressure seal is to start the car and turn the steering wheel either way until it stops.
Hydraulic pressure should blow the seal out.

Also, while the seal is out look at the shaft to see if it damaged in any way.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

y3chargerrt

Nice tip on getting the seal out. How much of a mess will this make? I have a pittman arm puller already set up. I ordered this seal kit.

http://marketplaceadvisor.channeladvisor.com/StoreFrontProfiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=92390&c=59163&i=13752129

Plumcrazy

Quote from: y3chargerrt on May 22, 2011, 09:53:03 AM
Nice tip on getting the seal out. How much of a mess will this make? I have a pittman arm puller already set up. I ordered this seal kit.

http://marketplaceadvisor.channeladvisor.com/StoreFrontProfiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=92390&c=59163&i=13752129

That's the seal you want.

Get as large a drain pan as you can find.  It also helps to have 2 people, have one person watch so that they can tell the other one to shut the car off as soon as they see the fluid coming out.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.